Ranking
Original Post
Suggestions for 4.3 - e-sports release
Hi,

I'm working on the new 4.3 version, the release is focused on features that make tournaments, duels and spectating more exciting, easier to use.

Currently I have on my todo:
- Ingame opener stats (first use, name, win ratio, who found it first)
- Naming of openers used (if you create a new opener, you can also name it)
- Ingame player stats (join date, games played, win ratio etc)
- Mouse over on joint stats (how close to breaking was the join, how much damage did it take)
- Pause tournament or duel (ops can pause a current match)
- /decaprize 1000
"hampa has added a 1000 TC prize for decapitation"

+ the usual bug fixes and tweaks.

If you have any other competitive features, please post in this thread.
Last edited by hampa; Nov 7, 2012 at 02:32 AM.
e-sports release?

okay, let's get a bit serious,

what are the problems of toribash?

1) being bounded to shit hardware requirements what lead to:
a. game is accessable for anyone ( thats good )
b. game appeal mostly by low internet and pc requirements ( core population are children who play on ancient old bother's pc, and it also mean that their payability as consumers is extremely low and this is very unlikely that they will ever spend any money on this game. not because they don't want, but because they can't. )
c. game stuck being the same for over 5 years. that not really good at all. 4 years ago tb appealed by being innovatiove and fresh concept. not like "i can run this game on lamp pc"

2) marketing flaws. game marketing model was supposed to be like: "if you want to look fancy, donate some usd", which got completely broken due:
a. developer have absolutely no controll over tc flow. at all. at one side it's good, that we have free market, but:
b. as result of uncontrollable tc flow people have no motivation to spend money on tc because:
c. it's not that hard to get tc due:
d. automatized tourney servers are quite good sourse of tc income for new player
e. betting is also another way to get tc without much effort
f. duels are also another way to get tc
g. where money, there people as result of d, e, f, most people stuck there and get tc from these sourses.
h. market. this is one of the main probems of current toribas marketing model. why people would want to spend money on tc to buy tc or items if they can huckster it all on market forum?
i. as result of all these points we have a situation where the only people who spend money on tc are people who huckster on market forum to get even more tc and then sell it for money. + toriprime/vip.
in other words people don't spend money for game but for forum due better profitability there and being able to earn tc by tourney servers, betting and dueling.
what mean no urge in spending money on game at all, and hey, due core population being VERY underage and play on very shit pc their ability to pay is also VERY questionable.

3) lack of willing to change the situation. as i can see most so called updates make absolutely no difference. market is still uncontrllable and all new features from list making earning tc from ingame more easy and even focus on these things. no groundbreaking updates, except triggers, completely no controll over mods section.

what can be done to fix the situation:

let's start from something very simple and not so groundbreaking:

1) iron out most of annoying bugs. no dq at aikido, random fracs, random dms etc etc. playerposition, playerrotation etc etc
if game will be polished and feel like finished quality product it will appeal as so.
for last 5 years game still feels like alpha or beta.

2) controll over mods list.
at the moment newcomer have no fucking clue what to play due clusterfuck modlist. mods aren't any cathegorized and noone moderate em. there should not be tons of fucking worthless mods.
there will be many, but not so fucking much as now, and they should be cathegorized. + mod approval. you can even reward players for creating new mods if they are hi quality and add their mods on list. in other words no new mods will be added to toribash unless they are approved. in this case person who just started playing will undertsnd what this or this mod is etc.

let's say

environment mods
-race/parkour course
-sparring/acro areas
-weapons
-andsoon

orthodox mods
-aikido type
-wushu type
-classic type
-andsoon

competative mods ( these with custom points system and so on )

basicly only dev team decide what mods should be included into mods list, or it can be done via voting on forum with hi quality requirements etc etc

3) controll over tc flow
the principle of "want to look fancy - donate" should be implemented.
at the moment you don't have any urge of spending money on tc at all, since you can earn it on tourney servers, betting, duels and marketing.

4) groundbreaking changes in engine. more shinny modern look. people who can't afford any okay pc aren't very good consumers, since they have literally no money and play this game only because they can't play anything else.

5) variety and deep gameplay mechanics
make the game finally improve. add more options for players ( zombie 0 ) and new possibilities for modders to create new mods. like custom points system where let's say 5k damage to dead will cound as 1 point and so on, i hope you get the idea, so it will add more variety and complexity.

6) user interface
a. friends list.
we use bigbro for ages and it's still not implemented in core game
b. hide servers you can't joid due qi
lots of people play and then get confused why they can't join same server they were playing before and quit.
c. more userfriendly/reworked game rules etc
d. tutorial that actually explain what are you doing instead of "do this and go ingame"
e. being able to watch replays like on wii version ( going to specific moments like it's a video )

IF ANYTHING OF THIS REQUIRE GROUNDBREAKING CHANGES - IT WORTH IT.
our young friends who can't afford any okay pc arent's any good consumers, since their ULTRA low pay ability.

7) correct marketing. game should be marketed as indie game and appeal by it's unique features instead of "you can run it on your grandfather pc if you/your parents aren't going to spend money on anything more modern"

actual game purchasing, steam, achievements and other crap.

OVERALL: controll over game, controll over game currency and controll over game content.
Keeping hight quality standarts and thats it.

i wasn't talking about clans and clan wars yet, because it would not change anything untill problems above will get solved.

ah, and btw, music, hair and flames would not solve it.

UNIQUE GAME DESIGN > "I'M BROKE 12 Y/O BUT I CAN RUN THIS SHIT ON MY CALCULATOR"

because broke 12 y/o have no money to spend and play this game only because he can't play anything else.

sad but true.

there is a law in marketing: any product will be bought if consumer a) know about it and b) see it (avaible)
may be thats something you should think about.
Last edited by snake; Nov 16, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
If we kept playing same quality of game for more 5 years , the game may die
But , what if we added stuff , adding more materials , Liqueds . Flames . Explosions . Remove useless stuff , adding new free form object creator.

All that can change the game from inside without changing the quality in the outside .

But if we changed quality from the out side , that may bring High level of quality player as known as hard core players like mr.snake.
-----
About the 12 y/o , shouldn't he be like 14 to be allowed to play Toribash?
Last edited by oofun4; Nov 15, 2012 at 07:09 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Poop poop poop shit shit piss pussy pear-shaped person peice of shit
Originally Posted by oofun4 View Post
You mean like a witherdraw button , more likely /fwin . , it may be useful since twin sword have much frames

But no worries , if you are operator in your own room , you can go to Ctrl+g , remove the tick from the new game , and change the turn frame , and click Ok .

That would end the game for you.

Well, I didn't know that, thanks, but the twinswords room I play in is public. The other player often doesn't press space (I believe he's hoping I'll fly off and dq)

@ up: I agree about user interface and ironing out bugs. I believe low requirements are a very good thing, especially if my internet can't handle data-intensive games. All I can play are MUDs (text-based games for these who don't know what it is) and Toribash.
Originally Posted by Zireael07 View Post
I believe low requirements are a very good thing, especially if my internet can't handle data-intensive games. All I can play are MUDs (text-based games for these who don't know what it is) and Toribash.

you just proved my point. now tell me what is your pay ability and are you ready/capable to spend money on toribash, let's say 10-20 usd ( $ )
and are you able / comfortable to donate money to get some hight qi items/tc ?

let's look on game from a bit different perspective.
we have a f2p model, where you supposed to PAY for customization. And this is supposed to be nabi income.
at the moment practicly noone PAY to get tc or items directly from nabi. when people PAY to get tc they buy it from random guys at market forum. but most of time noone pay anything at all, because you can get all tc you need by betting, tourney servers and duels.

tc income to players should be controlled to prevent situation of completely broken economy as we got now.

most income nabi get right now is consist of vip/prime, instead of actual customization. i hope you undertsand thats it's not how things supposed to work.

so, by the laws of logic, are people who play free to play game only because they can't play any other games due EXTREMELY outdated hardware and connection have ANY pay ability?

i guess not really. and if f2p game will continue to carter to people who have no pay ability it would not have any profits which result in stagnation ( we have same game for 5 years straight )
and lack of motivation.

from my stand point, i'm ready to pay for a quality indie game which deliver me unique and enjoyable experience and quality content, but if game feels, plays and have bugs like some early beta version, i'm not sure if thats really worth it.

but don't worry, most likely hamp isn't going to change anything at all except adding some hair, music, replays sync and new matchmaking instead of fixing real problems with the game and game economy. kinda sad to see a great idea to be not properly executed.

i'm all for game purchasing model IF hamp will continue to develop and upgrade the game, instead of current stagnation. but thats all marketing issues which should be solved ages ago. there are also tons of great suggestion regarding game itself, but since any major changes will affect people with crap pc and crap internet, he don't give a try to make it.

as result, people with shit pc who have completely no pay ability stop the progress of game developement and barely support the game if they do it at all. good game toribash.

this is what tb got for being bounded to low system and internet requirements.

increasing game quality and make it look like a real game instead of some alpha/beta even if that will mean no backward compability with earlier versions, will still better then keeping things as they are right now.

fix the game economy and fix the game.

to make game more accessable some more ingame tutorials can be done. toribash is appealing by being unique and complex deep game. the idea is still innovative and it's never too late to fix the execution, even re-branding may be done in most extreme case, but all of it make sense if efforts are put into.

good luck anyway.
Last edited by snake; Nov 15, 2012 at 09:15 PM.
tell me about aikido
Originally Posted by snake View Post
you just proved my point. now tell me what is your pay ability and are you ready/capable to spend money on toribash, let's say 10-20 usd ( $ )
and are you able / comfortable to donate money to get some hight qi items/tc ?

He probably isn't. But do you seriously think that the relatively low requirements don't make hampa richer than he would be if the game was a really demanding one?
The fact that more machines can run the game also means that many more players may be willing to play it. And even though most of them are unlikely to be paying for ingame features that can be achieved by just spending more time (thus not providing the developer with direct income) they still may have friends with money (and they obviously are the potential consumers).

we have a f2p model, where you supposed to PAY for customization. And this is supposed to be nabi income.

The possibility of customizing your character without having to pay real money for that is definitely a thing every player likes to have.
May be not that great for nabi, though. But hey, they do have items that can be bought for money and which are really pricey on the market.
It does make players be willing to buy it for money at some point...

at the moment practicly noone PAY to get tc or items directly from nabi. when people PAY to get tc they buy it from random guys at market forum.

Yet again, the possibility of getting real money through the game draws attention of more people, which increases the possible sources of money.

most income nabi get right now is consist of vip/prime, instead of actual customization. i hope you undertsand thats it's not how things supposed to work.

Well... Why not? It may even be a pretty nice concept of earning money.
Also, as much as I am concerned, people spend their money on boosters quite often.
In my oppinion the income nabi studios is having from all of the features is not that bad. It could be higher with the same amount of players, indeed.
But milking every last drip of money from the players is not all that nice, is it?

so, by the laws of logic, are people who play free to play game only because they can't play any other games due EXTREMELY outdated hardware and connection have ANY pay ability?

As mentioned before, they are capable of raising popularity, which equals to more potential money.

i guess not really. and if f2p game will continue to carter to people who have no pay ability it would not have any profits which result in stagnation ( we have same game for 5 years straight )
and lack of motivation.

How does exactly that make the game non-profitable?

fixing real problems with the game and game economy. kinda sad to see a great idea to be not properly executed.

Hampa is writing the code for the game. He is not responsible for the in-game economycs. And mind explaining what are these real game problems?

i'm all for game purchasing model IF hamp will continue to develop and upgrade the game, instead of current stagnation.

I'm quite sure there's nothing really much that can be added to the gameplay without making the game unnecessarily complicated and/or changing the mechanics drasticly. Which probably is not the thing we want to happen.

there are also tons of great suggestion regarding game itself, but since any major changes will affect people with crap pc and crap internet, he don't give a try to make it.

The only "great" suggestion that actually is not being done because most of people don't have computers good enough, is the 4 player mode.
Also, you probably have no idea how much more processing power would be required in that case. Would you buy an entirely new computer just to play a certain game?
If hampa does that, he will lose most of the players out there.
And that makes the game less popular. Which, as stated earlier, equals potential money.

as result, people with shit pc who have completely no pay ability stop the progress of game developement and barely support the game if they do it at all. good game toribash.

Why do you think people don't support toribash? The very fact of them playing toribash makes them already support it. Not to mention all the great art done for toribash, all the awesome videos and lots of other things that don't directly involve money. They all popularize the game.

this is what tb got for being bounded to low system and internet requirements.

Being bound to low system requirements doesn't make the game shit :/
And the internet requirerments seem to be completely irrelevant, imo. Since there is nothing much to be sent while the game goes on. Well, besides the textures.

increasing game quality and make it look like a real game instead of some alpha/beta even if that will mean no backward compability with earlier versions, will still better then keeping things as they are right now.

The quality of a game and it's system requirements are not quite relevant...
It depends on what do you mean by the term "quality".
Either way, making the quality of gameplay does not affect resource usage significantly.

fix the game economy and fix the game.

What is there to be fixed in the game?
The economy is not what hampa is supposed to care about. Hey is a developer, not an economyst or a manager.

to make game more accessable some more ingame tutorials can be done. toribash is appealing by being unique and complex deep game. the idea is still innovative and it's never too late to fix the execution, even re-branding may be done in most extreme case, but all of it make sense if efforts are put into.

I am also quite sure that making tutorials is not what hampa should do.
And it can be done by using lua scripts pretty easily.
But I do agree with you about the part that it has to be done, though.

Anyways, I am really enjoying this idea of making toribash an e-sports game. Good luck with that, etc.

PS omfg. So much text... Sorry if I have typos or mistakes in here...
Being sleep deprived definitely does it's job.
art board mods: if they dont understand it its not cnc
2) controll over mods list.
at the moment newcomer have no fucking clue what to play due clusterfuck modlist. mods aren't any cathegorized and noone moderate em. there should not be tons of fucking worthless mods.
there will be many, but not so fucking much as now, and they should be cathegorized. + mod approval. you can even reward players for creating new mods if they are hi quality and add their mods on list. in other words no new mods will be added to toribash unless they are approved. in this case person who just started playing will undertsnd what this or this mod is etc.

Yes it's old but it's been done before.

http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=322560
Originally Posted by Arturix3 View Post
He probably isn't. But do you seriously think that the relatively low requirements don't make hampa richer than he would be if the game was a really demanding one?

nope, but if the game will feel like a complete and polished game, instead of alpha/beta/proof of concept, it surely will make toribash more popular.

The fact that more machines can run the game also means that many more players may be willing to play it. And even though most of them are unlikely to be paying for ingame features that can be achieved by just spending more time

you just agreed that most of current target market ( current players ) have no pay ability and aren't willing to spend money for ingame items.

f2p model is all about pay to get what you want faster. in toribash terms pay to get customization faster. when person can easily avoid spending money without slowing down his advancement ( in toribash terms earn tc via betting, market and duels ), this model considered as failed.

The possibility of customizing your character without having to pay real money for that is definitely a thing every player likes to have.
May be not that great for nabi, though. But hey, they do have items that can be bought for money and which are really pricey on the market.
It does make players be willing to buy it for money at some point...

this was just a fail attempt to briefly solve huge problem called as free market and get atleast some income.

but it's not solving a problem.

the best solution will be closing free market at all, where only agent you trade tc and items will be nabi itself and/or unlimited items stock.

player income is x tc per game +/- reward if he win some tourney/event/duel.
so this income must be not that significant, to make f2p model work somehow in toribash case: want to look fancy - donate.

if earning tc is simple - model is broken.

i will try to come up with other suggestion regarding it, but clearly not now.

Yet again, the possibility of getting real money through the game draws attention of more people, which increases the possible sources of money.

as i said earlier, the only people who actually donate tc to game earn way more then they donated. here goes tb millionares who can buy all of specific item and speculate on gladiator items for example. and so on. i guess you got the idea.

Well... Why not? It may even be a pretty nice concept of earning money.
Also, as much as I am concerned, people spend their money on boosters quite often.
In my oppinion the income nabi studios is having from all of the features is not that bad. It could be higher with the same amount of players, indeed.
But milking every last drip of money from the players is not all that nice, is it?

it's not about milking. it's about making f2p model working. afterall all of these items don't make you play the game better.

As mentioned before, they are capable of raising popularity, which equals to more potential money.

marketing the game as "i can run this shit on my calculator" would not bring any payable players.kinda logical.

marketing game as unique and innovative game on other hand may.

How does exactly that make the game non-profitable?

as i said, if person can avoid spending money on customization, f2p model fails. you should try to understand that items we are talking about have nothing to do with game balance and have no effect on gameplay, so no pay to win concept. its only your choice to make your character look better. and most income should come from customiztion.
want to look unique? pay.
but you still can get all these shinny items, but you will had to invest some time.

Hampa is writing the code for the game. He is not responsible for the in-game economycs. And mind explaining what are these real game problems?

being bounded to low system requirements. game look like alpha/beta for 5 years.

I'm quite sure there's nothing really much that can be added to the gameplay without making the game unnecessarily complicated and/or changing the mechanics drasticly. Which probably is not the thing we want to happen.

no one talking about DRASTIC changes or overcomplicating things.
and belive me lots of stuff can be added, like grab threshold, your beloved 4 players mode, ability to make custom points sytem, loozing controll over dismembered limbs and so on.
for example boxing mod where hit to head above 5k will count as 1 point, and if it's less then it's zero. and that sort of things that may add more depth to game.

The only "great" suggestion that actually is not being done because most of people don't have computers good enough, is the 4 player mode.
Also, you probably have no idea how much more processing power would be required in that case. Would you buy an entirely new computer just to play a certain game?
If hampa does that, he will lose most of the players out there.
And that makes the game less popular. Which, as stated earlier, equals potential money.

as i said before, marketing game as 'i can run this shit on my calculator" isn't really good marketing strategy. and as you agreed, most target market aren't pay able or have willing to pay.

Why do you think people don't support toribash? The very fact of them playing toribash makes them already support it. Not to mention all the great art done for toribash, all the awesome videos and lots of other things that don't directly involve money. They all popularize the game.

read my replyes above.

Being bound to low system requirements doesn't make the game shit :/
And the internet requirerments seem to be completely irrelevant, imo. Since there is nothing much to be sent while the game goes on. Well, besides the textures.

low system requirements add limitations on game developement. this is clearly not good.

The quality of a game and it's system requirements are not quite relevant...
It depends on what do you mean by the term "quality".
Either way, making the quality of gameplay does not affect resource usage significantly.

What is there to be fixed in the game?
The economy is not what hampa is supposed to care about. Hey is a developer, not an economyst or a manager.

i have no clue who deal with economy aspect there and it seems like noone, so i was suggesting hamp to start dealing with it or find someone to deal with it.

I am also quite sure that making tutorials is not what hampa should do.
And it can be done by using lua scripts pretty easily.
But I do agree with you about the part that it has to be done, though.

i have no clue and barely care who and what should do. i state what should be done.
tell me about aikido
How about more Naruto/Naruto Shippuden Mods? I have been eager to see more of these,I don't mean like... Moves, I mean ones based off the Akatsuki. And Also Moar blades!
Bongo Bongo the Phantom Shadow Beast Is a BEAST!
My theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD5WyyS_ENY
I don't think the game looks like a beta. I saw old screens and believe me, the game looks much nicer now. Also, there are a ton of small things that can be added/improved (and therefore, the game developed) without increasing the requirements.