Toribash
Original Post
The Abortion Thread: Redux
Hey, bet you didn't expect this.

For a while now I've wondered what would happen if the somewhat infamous Abortion thread from the old Discussion board got reborn (haha), as honestly, I believed that thread to be the apex of what Discussion could have been, emphasis on "I", as there's probably people who remember other such titans of serious(?) debate.

Besides a journal entry of a paragraph you might see on a recipe site, I also know that the general userbase has shifted and changed a lot since then, thus bringing a whole new host of (potentially) new and fresh takes on the aformentioned topic.

The question is simple: What is your stance on abortion, and why? (Or as it was posed in the original thread, "Should abortion be illegal?")
I can't ask you friendly people to keep it civil and on par with Discussion and expect it to stick, but I'll do it anyway, because I am genuinely interested and I hope we can see it through with actual discussion.
h
Abortion shouldn't be illegal at all, the only time it should be illegal is if Rape is completely abolished. I'd argue that aborting a baby rather than just letting it grow up in a situation that isn't in your control is a better option.

SOMTHING NEW SOMETHING NEW

imma start by saying that it should be pretty clear that no one likes the idea of abortion. but sometimes u dont really have a choice but to choose abortion, what if the mothers body isnt ready to deliver a child and the mother ends up having complications/dying? or what if the baby ends up being born with a disability that leaves the baby in a vegetative state? all that would be is a heavy burden on both the parents and child. ya you could choose adoption, but that would leave the child dependant for their whole life and that would make the new home basically a prison for the parents until they would be able to find the child a nursing home. a life where you're completely dependant doesnt sound like a life worth living to me, call me shitty for that idrc. also what about rape/molestation victims, specifcally victims that are minors? lets go back to what i said on my first point, minors have a higher chance to have complications giving birth just due to the fact that their bodies are still growing, not only that, having to go through motherhood as a teenager is something i cant even fathom, its probably so mentally/physically tiring. basically what im saying is that abortion sucks but it's necessary. btw im no expert in the field either im just some idiot kid speaking his mind

i actually used to think abortion should be illegal, i even made a post on the old thread, but ive grown a bit and my opinions on a lot of things have changed
Last edited by Berzerk; Jun 8, 2020 at 03:19 PM.
I personally believe abortion should be legal due to most situations people are put into, if they're rape victims of course they should have the option to get rid of the baby although it sounds harsh but most victims wouldn't want to bear the child of their rapists no matter what, just sounds crazy. As supposed to now mostly now a days kids are just having sex with no protection and just get that chance to get their girlfriends pregnant and don't have time for the plan B because they thought they pulled out or whatever the case is, and don't have financial stability to take care of the child with their SO, it's really hard on both parents deciding going through with abortion but i believe they're doing it for whats best for them in the future and where they both will go.
I think everyone would agree on at least these 2 things:
- Abortion is horrible
- Abortion should definitely be legal for the victims of rape, or if giving birth to a child would kill the mother or cause her serious medical issues

According to this study: "in cases of rape, 0.3%; in cases of incest, 0.03%; in cases of risk to maternal life, 0.1%; in cases of risk to maternal health, 0.8%; and in cases of fetal health issues, 0.5%. About 98.3% of abortions in the United States are elective, including socio-economic reasons or for birth control."

The accuracy of the number is of course up for interpretation (e.g. if you can have easy access to abortion without needing to disclose that you were raped, I'm sure a lot of rape victims wouldn't give it as the reason), but I think it's safe to say the vast majority of abortions are 'elective'.

So, perhaps there would be a more interesting discussion about people's thoughts on those abortions, rather than the ones that are to prevent a 'rape baby' or that are medically necessary.

Personally, I think it's a very difficult topic. There are a lot of people who think that any abortion at any stage is murder 'because life begins at conception'. I don't really agree with this, though I can't exactly pinpoint where I believe life begins (i.e. when does it turn from just a lump of cells to a human being). There are also a lot of women who think 'my body my choice' - but it's not their body that people are concerned about, it's the body growing within them.

I'm also quite disgusted by the growing rate of third-trimester abortions, especially with people like Ralph Northam (Governor of Virginia) even defending abortions post-birth. Hopefully we can all agree that that's just murder. Third-trimester abortions don't seem to just be reserved for medical emergencies either, as this undercover video seems to show.

Either way, the legality of abortion is definitely not something I've completely formed my opinion about. As a kid/teenager I thought abortions should be legal for any reason (assuming it's in the first trimester), but as I get older I'm drifting further and further away from that opinion. The flip-side of that, however, is that if abortions are made illegal, a large number of them will just move underground - with unsafe, side-alley abortions, which have high mortality-rates.

I do love my physics ragdoll games with a healthy dose of abortion-debate
Last edited by Moop; Jun 8, 2020 at 04:37 PM.
one time i had a hair deep in my urethra and when i pulled it out it felt kinda good ~fudgiebalz 2020

<~Skul> they're not children, they're demon midgets
<~Skul> if you kill one in front of the rest, they'll scatter and leave
The president of the Philippines says that as long as there are beautiful women, there will be rape.

rape could lead to unwanted pregnanciesunwanted pregnancies could lead to abortion

I like iTemp's statement

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toribash Season 1 Rank 3 | Ex-ES Artist | Ex-Mascot of [Alpha]
CLAN LEAGUE 2019 WINNER
Originally Posted by Karstnator View Post
The president of the Philippines says that as long as there are beautiful women, there will be rape.

rape could lead to unwanted pregnanciesunwanted pregnancies could lead to abortion

I like iTemp's statement

That's a really stupid mindset (talking about the Philippines president), women shouldn't be raped, periodt (and men shouldn't be raped or feel ashamed of reporting it).

Regarding the abortion thing... Abortion should be legal if the mother has no conditions to have the baby, if the baby has a deficiency that can leave it in a vegetative state or if the mother is victim of rape and doesn't want the baby (I could give alot more examples but this are the main ones)
SOU TUGAAAAAAAAAA
It's not a mindset dude it's a fact, lol. He's trying to say that rape will never be gone because the world will never have no beautiful women.

Also keep in mind there are also pregnancy related diseases like preeclampsia, which needs an abortion or else the baby will also be affected by the medication.

SOMTHING NEW SOMETHING NEW

Originally Posted by duck View Post
What is your stance on abortion, and why? (Or as it was posed in the original thread, "Should abortion be illegal?")

In my view, abortion should be illegal in all circumstances. If conception is the all-consuming veto over human life's inception and beginning, then any line draw after conception is wholly arbitrary. Thus, I fundamentally believe that innocent human life should be protected at all developmental stages under the pretense that the deliberate taking of innocent human life is wrong & immoral.

Other users in this thread clearly believe that the deliberate taking of innocent human life is sometimes permissable.
Last edited by Mallymkun; Aug 3, 2020 at 10:53 PM.
Originally Posted by Mallymkun View Post
In my view, abortion should be illegal in all circumstances. If conception is the all-consuming veto over human life's inception and beginning, then any line draw after conception is wholly arbitrary. Thus, I fundamentally believe that innocent human life should be protected at all developmental stages under the pretense that the deliberate taking of innocent human life is wrong & immoral.

Other users in this thread clearly believe that the deliberate taking of innocent human life is sometimes permissable.

So as soon as an egg is fertilized, it's immoral to do anything about it? What do you make of the multitude of lifesaving (and life-enhancing) benefits that embryonic stem cell research provides us with?

You said any lines drawn are arbitrary, but they're not plucked out of thin air. There's a stark moral difference between the termination of an unthinking, unfeeling mass of cells and a sentient second trimester fetus. Just as there's a stark moral difference between end the life of your brain-dead comatose mother and Larry (perfectly healthy) who lives down the road. The particulars are important in these kinds of things.

You religious at all? Or you just tryna be a 'hyper-logical' devil's advocate?