Toribash
Original Post
Reinstate a Past Ranking System (An Argument for Change)
Please think clearly about what I'm going to say about the ranking system before you just say no.

This ranking system was a cool attempt at making the "better players" have a higher rank but it simply didn't work.

To quote [RAWR]Dargon:

The problem is ELO systems don't work in a game like toribash.

My main argument is that the current ELO system supports the absolute opposite of what Nabi Studios would want to have in an atmosphere to acquire new players. It also casts out enthused players who want to try lots of different things and learn from better more experienced people.

1) The current system rewards those who don't try a variety of mods.

Most high rank people (Read: 1-35) are there because they played the hell out of 1 mod and didn't venture off to try other mods. The point being that it's way easier to go 60 wins 2 losses in a game like jousting with one decent opener against new players and have a super high ELO (proof... well me) than it is to go 20-5 in a slower mod like Wushu.

Playing MORE mods should be what the game encourages; however, if you start playing aikido and only have an ELO of say 1610, when your jousting ELO is 1700, your rank plummets. Thus playing more mods currently is a bad thing.

2) The point system doesn't work and frustrates members.

A good example is what happened to me yesterday. I played brushu, and won a game against [fl0w]Deprav (a highly ranked brushu player), then a game against [Alpha]Logic (the #1 ranked brushu player in toribash), followed by a loss to the ranked 120th player or somewhere in that region. The net result? I actually lost 2 ELO points. I won 2 games, and lost 1, my 2 games were incredibly quality wins, and actually got a WORSE rank.

This just goes to show the math simply isn't working here. If you can beat the absolute best player, a fantastic player, and then lose to a great player, and be worse off when you started... well that's simply counter-intuitive isn't it?

3) The current system discourages playing people who aren't good (the Ambassador argument)

Better players of toribash are really the ambassadors for Nabi studios more than even GameMasters from time to time. They give new people a chance of what could come of them and the beauty of highly skill play. But the current system deterrs amazing people to play those who aren't good because one lost game can make the great player lose a LOAD of ranking. Getting a streak of 5, then losing once, only to have the same or worst ranking as you started is completely disheartening. You should want great players to want to play with not-so-great-ones to really show what your character can look like, what toris can do, and learn from them.

http://forum.toribash.com/tori_ranki...?username=Mojo This is the #1 Ranked player in Toribash. Check out the stats. Notice anything? Outside of JOUSTING and KATANA this player, the player who will represent all of the thousands of thousands of players who some started in 7 years ago as NUMBER ONE has a 1600 ranking in almost every skill mod out there. Has Wushu3, aikido, taekkyon, you name it. 1600 is the starting elo...

4) Our current top ranked leaders aren't role-models (a continuation of the Ambassador argument)

SEVEN of the top TEN players ranked globally in toribash haven't reached 3rd Dan Black Belt. Two of them haven't even reached black belt yet. These members aren't well-known good people in great clans that people aspire to. There are absolutely amazing players in clans like [RAWR] whos rank is near the 2000's meanwhile players you and I have never even heard of are sporting the highest of ranks. Is that really who you want to learn is the "best"? Who would you feel more comfortable being rank 5: TIcux, or "BigClitor" or "BigPrick" (I kid you not, those last 2 are both in the top 10)

5) Promotes rage quitting. It's simple: if you have a 1700 mmr in jousting and someone has a 1590 mmr rating, and they are about to lose to you, they'll lose a shit ton of ranking unless they ragequit. We should be encouraging people to stay the whole match.

TLR Summary

The current system makes unaccomplished players look like heroes to new players, tells people not to play a variety of mods, encourages the play of simple fast mods like judo and jousting over a variety of mods that might take more skill (aikido, aikidobigdojo, lenshu, wushu, taekkyon, judofrac) to name a few, mathematically seems to not work, and discourages the great players who should serve as ambassadors from playing with new players, and RAGE QUITTING.

The Solution? Bring back the QI system!!!

The highest rank people should be the people with the highest QI because that's what actually works in Toribash. Why?

1) Because rage quitting sucks and we should encourage people to stay through the whole match. Rank 15 whoever should want to accept defeat against rank 500,000 white belt honorably because he might be getting closer to Rank 14. Meanwhile, that white belt's DAY WAS MADE beating you.

2) It give quantifiable reason to PLAY TORIBASH. The more you play, the more QI you get, the higher your rank. The old people who have given years and years don't feel like idiots with thumbs up where the sun don't shine because they're rank 3000, and the newer players WANT black belt, 2nd dan, 5th dan, 10th dan, WHATEVER to improve their rank! Isn't a line-up like Tripstone, DJ, TIcux, Nuthug, Kamiko, Dargon a better top 6 than .... Mojo, Kindercat, zaeby, PREY3R, and pedart?

3) It doesn't discourage you from playing any mod you want. Sure, jousting is faster than aikido, and a person who only plays jousting will get QI faster and have a higher rank. But at least if you like jousting, and you decide to play some aikido, you won't completely f over your rank playing it.

4) It encourages coherency AND LEARNING throughout toribash. When you want to get good at a mod, you typically surround yourself with people much better than you (ergo, want to be an aikido player? Play team sambo members. Etc). But you're going to lose a lot doing that. I don't think you should hate yourself from trying to learn a mod because it dropped your rank from 200 to 1700.

And I ALREADY know the major criticism. THIS SYSTEM PROMOTES FARMING!!!

Yes. It does. Having QI determine your rank absolutely promotes farming. But what sounds better of a problem? Farmers farming, and more than likely getting caught because we have ways to catch farmers pretty easily (check out that community ban list!) or having hundreds of people rage quitting to save their rank? Losing rank by the hundreds from trying something new? I think the choice is obvious.

A last point

All of toribash has ever been is playing more toribash. Since you first joined, you probably wanted to wear a color that required you play more games, or get a belt you want, even a custom belt, etc. Make the system reflect what toribash is actually about-> stress-free fun, punishment free, playing. We already have our win-loss ratio publicly posted. If you want to prove your skilled try to increase that. There's no need for this system which 100% DOESN'T work.

To those of you who have read all of that, thank you. I appreciate it. To those of you who didn't, I recommend you do, because you're going to probably make posts that I've already addressed in this argument.
Last edited by Bodhisattva; May 23, 2013 at 03:21 AM.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
Originally Posted by eazi View Post
After winning 2 matches in a row against my opponent in the wushu3 room:

This is a result of the mod rank(s) glitching. Notice the global rank barely changed.
Last edited by Deuteria; May 29, 2013 at 02:25 PM.
No, the old is just stupid. No way guys with higher QI are the best players and rank should mean which best player a person is so I don't wanna washed up high QIers on the top. Playing a lot doesn't mean experience or skills, it means you've played a lot. What matters is to learn stuff and do wicked moves.

My solution would be for admins to go and remove the banned farmers from ranking = solved. Oh and win / lose needed stuff should be fixed (balance changed kinda) but the overall elo idea is somewhat ok.
Originally Posted by Deuteria View Post
Originally Posted by eazi View Post
After winning 2 matches in a row against my opponent in the wushu3 room:

This is a result of the mod rank(s) glitching. Notice the global rank barely changed.

EDIT: Whoops, I was looking at the wrong thing in the picture it seems. That does seem like a bug, weird how his mod rank still jumped up even though his ELO points shot down. I think its a visual glitch more than anything though. I'll still leave my response in tact though.

For some reason I was unable to see eazi's spoiler picture until you quoted it. I still can't even see it in his original post...

Either way, contrary to popular belief, this is NOT a glitch and has a very plausible and logical explanation to it.

If you started off at Rank 3000 with 1625 ELO points and end up at Rank 50 with 1630 ELO points, that simply means that there are currently 2950 players with ELO points in the range of 1625 to 1630.

It took me a little while to figure it out, but it makes sense. As to why there are usually a lot of players stuck within a certain ELO range, I do not know. But its not impossible.

You also have to take into account that your Rank is dynamic. The rank you see during your match is the rank that you were at as soon as the match started. If, during the course of that match, other players close to your rank either win or lose a match, your rank could change since, their rank changed. The thing is, you won't be updated about that change until the match is over. This means that its possible to win a match and still appear to lose your rank.
Last edited by DaNooB23; May 29, 2013 at 03:48 PM.
"Fear not the Tori who has practiced 10,000 openers once, but fear the Tori who has practiced one opener 10,000 times."
Originally Posted by JSnuffMARS View Post
Everything you said.

No.

First off, how the hell does games played not equate to experience? If you've played 100 games, you've experienced 100 games. Whether or not lower belt players are better than me isn't the same issue as how much experience they have.

Secondly, clearly mod rank farmers aren't the only problem. As I said before, being good at Brushu and being good at brushu with a dojo and high ED and double the frames are too different creatures.

Three, we still have a LOAD of crappy mod favoritism going on. ELO shouldn't be 1 to 1 across all mods. The difference between a jousting mod high rank and a wushu rank is ONE HUNDRED points. You understand that you start at 1600 and that 100 points is the difference from unranked to top 100 list?

All I know is that I can win 4 jousting matches using an opener someone else made within the time I have ONE quality match of wushu which couldn't have been one with an opener. That's something that CLEARLY needs to be adressed.
Need help?
Just Use Thunder!
Originally Posted by k6vamees View Post
-If you make global rank based on wins, then it can still be bypassed with wins on whatever mod (jousting, problematic).

Good point, if the qi system is to be implemented again, there should be something done about this. I can't think of a good solution right now, but I do agree this should be prevented.

Originally Posted by k6vamees View Post
-Qi can be bought so that renders the qi system quite useless, aside from the fact that it's easily farmed.

Farmers will always be banned of course, I don't think finding qi farmers would be that hard for admins.. (or maybe it is :v)
And even though I am against the whole idea of buying qi, if someone is actually going to pay that much real money, then let them have the rank too.. I'd prefer a ranking system with greatly experienced people at high ranks and a few qi buyers among them over a ranking system with mostly farmers at high ranks.
(╯°□°)╯︵ pɐǝɹɥʇ ʎɐldǝɹ
Originally Posted by Hxcbbqimo View Post
No.

No! No to you sir, because:
First off, how the hell does games played not equate to experience? If you've played 100 games, you've experienced 100 games. Whether or not lower belt players are better than me isn't the same issue as how much experience they have.

Because you ain't know s**t after those games. If I can open and dm kick your arm off or you leg off in abd or fairly easily win you anyway, it means you haven't learned anything, so what's the experience benefit? In other competition you say experienced, because he probably knows that stuff and more.
Three, we still have a LOAD of crappy mod favoritism going on. ELO shouldn't be 1 to 1 across all mods. The difference between a jousting mod high rank and a wushu rank is ONE HUNDRED points. You understand that you start at 1600 and that 100 points is the difference from unranked to top 100 list?

Ayo, I mentioned it should be better if adjusted, idk if what you said would be the right adjustement, but here we partly agree.

And here's another thing. Basically all hard to beat players I know, who are at least black belt have rank in top 2k. So therefore I kinda believe in the current system.

@eazi ^ post above. What about being banned, if they're still in ranking? For example, as of now. They still take up that rank spot, like Mojo.
Last edited by JSnuffMARS; May 30, 2013 at 03:13 AM.
Had I known the gauge at which we'd use to see if the system was working because the top players make it to the top TWO THOUSANDs I would've quit and said this is silly a long time ago...

If you're going to say this system is the one you want to stick with, please provide some ways to adjust it.
Need help?
Just Use Thunder!
I can't really understand people that think that ELO is the right ranking system for toribash.
It's not, believe me.

As Hax said, QI = Experience indeed. With ELO ranking, it's all about who farms more. Please tell me more about how you know/see these guys from this LIST everyday. (Not only that, take a close look at four players from Top 10, their nicknames are literally swearwords. Like, c'mon...)

I don't even understand how ELO works at all, like...I manage to get a good rank at Aikidobigdojo.tbm let's say it is mod rank 2, I need to win like 8-15matches in a row to make it to mod rank 1, while it's enough to lose once for your rank to drop to 8-10.
Last edited by Kristis133; May 31, 2013 at 09:03 PM.
~Rainbow Belt|[Tint]|Rank 32~
\:D/ RAINBOW PANDAAAAA \:D/
~GameMaster|BISH|GameGrad|ORMO|ToriPrime L-Mod~

ZinxGlowToastBondyLoxSwyneErth
[Bsns][Fr3styL][Colon3][One][SyN][Rvng]

Toribash World Championship 2011 Runner Up

<AlphasoniK> Kristis: What the fuck is wrong with you, rainbow loving panda freak.
Seriously, try to piss standing up for a change. No life girly pants dimwit.

Lets devide this topic into its two main points:

1) What's the purpose of the rank?
- Show how good a player is or how many games this person have played?
- Qi doesn't show how good a player is, as such we can use an alternative system

2) What alternative system suits Toribash?
- It should be "farming free"
- Directly correspond to how good a player is: Winratio, wins or similar.

We could use dynamic points; I score 1 point from you, that 0.5% of your total points, as such defeating someone who has lost fewer games awards more points, hence beating someone with points is worth more than the lad without any points.

The big problem with such a system is the capacity of servers and how to store this data. Then it would ofc require some tweaks, some testing and then take time to implement.

Now back to the elo system; it sure has its flaws, but it provides a better estimate of players midrange, with a few hundred games, however, at the very top it becomes obsolete, as kris put it: ""I manage to get a good rank at Aikidobigdojo.tbm let's say it is mod rank 2, I need to win like 8-15matches in a row to make it to mod rank 1, while it's enough to lose once for your rank to drop to 8-10." which might seem unjustified, however this is how the elo system works, except you are usually paired against opponents close to your rank and hence the loss ain't as disastrous as to losing to someone who have a horrid elo rank.

But, what is the purpose of the rank?
Personally I couldn't care less for how my rank is as I play for the sake of having fun, but it does however seem the QI-rank system basically is a dickmeasuring system over time spent in aikido mods while perhaps that is what the belt already shows us. As such I would say that the Qi-rank is one of the most horrid ideas ever, not even including the argument of QI-boosters.
Now doing recoloring for people not in the clan as-well, PM for more info!
PROUD OWNER OF THORN'S GOOD ENOUGH WRITER AWARD!
It comes back with the basic principle that I think everyone WANTS the ELO system to work because everyone wants Toribash to be this 100% skill e-sport. But in actualization, it's not an E-Sport at all. Bad players beat the best players common enough that it isn't even really a RARE occurrence. If they didn't, the best players in the game would have at least 85% win ratios.

Now the argument should probably be made that rank should be based on experience, not "skill", because at least one can actually measure experience. That's not say someone who's played 10,000 games is BETTER than a guy who's played 3,000 games. They aren't. There are plenty of iconically great players who aren't custom belts yet. It's more simply put that when an ELO system will always fail us, at least a simple, effective, easily measurable system could be put in place to see who has seen more games of toribash than the rest. Is that a dickmeasuring contest? Yeah, that's what a ranking system is though.
Last edited by Bodhisattva; Jun 1, 2013 at 12:59 AM.
Need help?
Just Use Thunder!