Toribash
Original Post
Community Outreach
Hey,

Something that's been on my mind for a while and that I've been meaning to do is having a conversation with the community about what you all would like and what changes you would want to happen.
We can also address any questions or concerns you might have or general things you want to say to our team to improve our communication.
I feel throughout the years the divide between the players and staff has gotten greater and would like to see the connection between us be improved.
This thread is going to, for a while at least, act as a basis for improving community-staff interaction.

Some things that I personally want to improve on and hope will happen:
- Communication
- Game activity
- Game enjoyability
- Events
Along with anything else that might be brought up in this thread.

Let me explain what I mean by improving communication:
There is a giant divide between staff and players.
I understand how frustrated the community might be with staff over things like not being informed about the clan system change and about prizes on events.
We're staff of this game for the players and we’d like to make this more obvious and visible through our actions, and to make sure everyone feels included.

We get a lot of feedback in the form of backlash and banter.
I want to change that and focus our discussions on what the game needs more.
The staff team will listen to any suggestion brought up and try our best to respond to everything.

Regarding game activity:
We all know that the Toribash has been losing players for a while now.
However, there are usually way more beginners online than there are people on the forums if that is any consolation.
This is why we are planning to move even more events client-side soon.
There have already been some very successful ingame events:
- Free Run Frenzy
- Hole In The Wall
These events have gotten amazing participation from everyone, and we want to do more events like this.
We believe that other events whether competitive, art-related, single-player, etc, will benefit greatly by being advertised and run in the game client.
Our main focus will be events focused on beginners, which will hopefully keep beginner retention up.
There are also some plans to make new items which are accessible to and aimed at beginners.

I'm interested in knowing what the community thinks about this.
For the time being, there will still be events held on the forums but as soon as we can get some dev work done to bring everything to the game client, we'll do that.

Regarding game enjoyability:
This is something that we need your input on, this is your game, and you're playing it.
- What kind of changes do you want to see?
There have been some ideas which could change up the meta a little bit in mods like ABD,TK,JF, and particularly lenshu.

If anyone remembers LesDuncan and what he was doing with TPL, it's sort of similar to the martial arts community now, in the way they've hosted fightnight events and they make new mods.
LesDuncan made a version of ABD in which lifting was still viable, however there are walls and a ceiling that prevented it from being a huge difficulty.
This mod is not perfect, but I would like to see what you all think about it.
In particular, what (if anything) would be required for you to consider it a competitive mod?

About Lenshu:
I believe Kane and fl0w have done an exceptionally good job on their winpoint lenshu mod.
When I mention TPL, this is the kind of mod that I'm imagining.
The running issue has been fixed, and a new feature like winpoints were added.
The communities reception on this event has always been good and in a competitive scene most people prefer this mod to normal lenshu3ng.

I'd like to ask everyone a question: when you play the game does it still feel rewarding?
Do you have anything you want to do in the game still, do you want more purpose?
There are ideas like a free battlepass, just quests for rewards.
Another one that we've had is automated tourneys with different rewards, starts at 10 people in the lobby, could be more TC than usual, or rewards from magicalsack(like an automated etourney but with worse rewards) but like stated previously, we're unsure what we should do.

My vision would be making adjustments to every competitively played mod and hosting events in them.
Just with slight adjustments, the way we play these mods is changed and it makes it more fun.

Regarding events:
Historically, prizes for events have rarely been amazing, and I know that there have been players complaining about prizes not being the best and I agree.
There has been a huge lack of competitive events, excluding clan league and WC, there haven't been any competitive multiplayer events hosted in a while.
There are some events that we're working on right now, and would like to get out soon, I'd just like to see what people have to say about TPL.

Summary:
In conclusion, the things that I want to work on are:
- Staff-Player interaction, keeping the community updated and asking for what the community wants
- More client-side events
- Working on different versions of the main 5 mods, seeing if there's any way to improve the competitive mod-list
- Better prizes and events, more frequent events
- Making the game more fun, adding new features to hopefully improve retention, new goals and a sense of purpose
- Any new content that is possible to do

I want to have a constructive discussion about these topics and address any questions or concerns you might have about anything not mentioned in this thread.
The OP will be updated if there's anything to update, and I hope this discussion will stick around for a while.
Thank you to everyone who spent their time on reading.
And if you want a shiai token, feel free to take this survey or spread it around in your circles
MS survey for the dueling community, feel free to take it for an ST. input is immensely appreciated.
Last edited by ancient; Feb 4, 2022 at 07:12 PM.
pm me your questions or applications

https://i.imgur.com/1GWtVnU.png

dance with my dogs in the night time
cash to burn
Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
MMA mods could also perhaps be put into ranked season, boxing as well.

pls no, i rather get rekt in boxshu/tk than play boxing with someone who isnt following softrules(no kicks, no backhands), its just not fun.

keep in mind thats just me im a bitch i didnt even play much last season because of erthtkv2.
Originally Posted by xMajedz0 View Post
pls no, i rather get rekt in boxshu/tk than play boxing with someone who isnt following softrules(no kicks, no backhands), its just not fun.

keep in mind thats just me im a bitch i didnt even play much last season because of erthtkv2.

I'd play a good boxing or mma mod but there is none. And I think there's a reason for that too I don't think toribash is built for fair clean fighting. It's more about smacking eachother hard and ripping eachother limb from limb and grappling
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Originally Posted by Xydra View Post
I'd play a good boxing or mma mod but there is none.

there are good ones but they are more suited for replay making than compatitve so maybe not good i guess, the turn frames are low to be competitive and the gravity is super high.

Originally Posted by Xydra View Post
And I think there's a reason for that too I don't think toribash is built for fair clean fighting. It's more about smacking eachother hard and ripping eachother limb from limb and grappling

pretty much this.
Last edited by majed; Jun 17, 2022 at 05:40 PM.
I think putting a tournament where if you lose, you get 500tc, and if you win each match while the tournament is active, you get 1k, and if you win the tournament, you get the normal 5k
This is usually pretty illogical.
But as we know, the economy is very centralized, usually the buyers and sellers are always the same.
I believe this would keep players in public room tournaments, in addition to increasing the revenue of those low players who manage to gather 10k-50k with some effort but never get a raise more than that.

---

we know that in the market we find items with a price of 50% of the value or less, giving the kick-off. But you also know that there has been a significant increase in higher value items.
Last edited by Gabriel; Jun 17, 2022 at 06:34 PM.
winpoint lenshu doesn't need obstacles. can you really run for 900+ frames when you're low on points? i don't think the dojo is big enough to achieve this sort of thing. if anything, winpoint lenshu with a dome makes it even easier to catch up to your opponent.

i can see it being an issue if boxshu was turned into boxshu wushu, but i just cannot see it being a thing in winpoint lenshu.

here's an idea: how about if the clock runs out and neither player has reached the winpoint limit, just give the player with more points the win?

this incentivizes more aggressive play. think of toribash as a fighting game and winpoint as your health bar. the draw mechanic was exclusively a thing for endurance onslaught. it'll be a huge problem if it's included in ranked mode where there's more than 2 people in a lobby. it really only works in a clan league/twc/endurance onslaught setting.

edit: small adjustments over time are welcome of course. just remember that a lot of us put tons of time and effort into mastering the main 5 mods and if things change too much, it'll hurt more than help anything. i think you know that already though. consistency is what really matters in a competitive scene.

edit 2: you people have given the other part of this community a platform to shit on competitive play. just because the current mods are dogshit for competitive doesn't mean you can discredit us who take the game seriously. ancient, just because u came around late in the game and started getting things moving doesn't mean staff shouldn't be criticized for how they handled things prior. i've been around for a long time, ya know.
Last edited by skizz; Jun 18, 2022 at 12:18 PM. Reason: u better listen to what im saying ancient i may be a cokehead but im not a total fuckin idiot
I mentioned this to sir back in the day though perhaps repeating it wouldn't hurt.

Biggest issue with the game that pushes players away imo is the wait times. Obviously there is a matchmaking system for ranked, though it doesn't get much traffic. My guess as to why that is would just be that all the old heads are already used to just sitting around in rooms and waiting in queue so they have little motivation or reason to use that feature, with them not using it, it becomes difficult to find matches for newer players and they're in turn pushed away.

Imo a/the match making system may need to be pushed harder or made more obviously accessible as the game moves forward. As for how exactly to tackle that challenge I'm unsure, though it's probably worth consideration.

This is probably obvious, though, when I say biggest issue I mean biggest issue besides the outrageous learning curve. While esports and competitive mods are fine, the devs may also want to experiment with pushing new players towards more fun/goofy mods to start out with- keep the dopamine going while they learn how to control their Tori. Personally I played almost exclusively judofrac for my first 1000 or so games. Maybe first 2000 games. It was somewhat skill based while also being wacky enough to still be fun while I was learning the ropes. Mods like jousting and what not are still in the beginner rotation, though they seem to be more of a side attraction than they used to be.
Last edited by Divine; Jun 19, 2022 at 09:43 PM.

Need help? PM me!
إد هو العاهرة
A change i'd like to see is for the toribash staff to quit imposing their political stances on the players. :^)
oh is this where i put my signature?
ABOUT FUTURE SEASONS
You dont need to fully revise the competitive mods
Just "nerf" moves/tactics by changing SOME game rules

For example,

lenshu3ng
- Decrease dojo size to nerf people who run
- Add 100k win point - makes games faster and promotes aggressive play

aikidobigdojo
- Increase dojo size and increase distance to nerf players who lift and shovel
- Add 100k win point - makes games faster, promotes aggressive play, and gives lifted players a chance to win by points

I also agree with Divine that the wait times are pretty long; possible work arounds to make ranked fast-paced:
- Lower win point to 80k
- Lower reaction time
Last edited by Karstnator; Jun 20, 2022 at 02:29 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toribash Season 1 Rank 3 | Ex-ES Artist | Ex-Mascot of [Alpha]
CLAN LEAGUE 2019 WINNER
Originally Posted by Karstnator View Post

For example,

lenshu3ng

aikidobigdojo
- Add 100k win point - makes games faster, promotes aggressive play, and gives lifted players a chance to win by points

i agree with everything this noob said.

hey ancient! take notes buddy!

edit: this might not be a huge deal but having tekken type ranks with like sick ass pictures under your username ingame would be kinda sick.

like platinum ranked players can be like Sensei and Diamond ranked players could be Mega Dragon Fist of Death

just saying...could be really cool and unique. like when you hop in a lobby and ppl are like "oh mah gawd he's a Mega Dragon Fist of Death player he's really good"
Last edited by skizz; Jun 21, 2022 at 04:26 AM.
Originally Posted by Karstnator View Post
ABOUT FUTURE SEASONS

For example,

lenshu3ng

aikidobigdojo

I also agree with Divine that the wait times are pretty long; possible work arounds to make ranked fast-paced:
- Lower win point to 80k
- Lower reaction time

I've not thought about giving ABD a win-point system, it doesn't seem like too bad of an idea. Though, I feel like most games will be over within 50-80 frames with the wrist point/dm openers, snapkicks, etc. It could be fun to try out though, I'm actually inclined to see how it'd look and might test it out for a month next season.

About the winpoint change @GHOST, I'm not too sure about that. That might shift meta into running from each other again and make camping more prevalent, no?

Ranked matchmaking: ranked matchmaking was active for the entirety of the season and from what I know, was never used. I'd like to see if there's any ways to make it popular, but that might be killing the activity of a ranked season. Ideas that I have are making only 1 or 2 pub rooms, 1 being low elo room and other being high elo room. Having a button in-game or an MOTD that says Play matchmaking to evade queue times and make it more known in that way. Any other ideas are appreciated ofc.
Last edited by ancient; Jun 21, 2022 at 02:06 PM.
pm me your questions or applications

https://i.imgur.com/1GWtVnU.png

dance with my dogs in the night time
cash to burn