Toribash
Original Post
Story mode?
I had a random idea come into my head that I feel is very interesting. What if there was a story mode?

Like, for example, there is a slideshow (That you can click through) that has text to back up a storyline (Like a visual novel, without the hentai or loli). Maybe it could be like fight club or maybe it could be to save a girl, or something really creative! You can choose the decisions you make which also ends up with you fighting different AI. Like this:

There is two roads to take.

And what would make this better is if it all ends with Uke.

This was all a suggestion I just thought of, tell me what you think.

EDIT: Maybe I wasn't exactly clear. Okay, maybe AFTER each slideshow/text sequence/what the fuck ever, your choices lead to who you fight, which KILLS the slideshow and bumps an AI for you to fight, just like single player. Only thing is that all the AI have different looks, different fighting styles, and, if you want to Minibash this, different sized limbs/proportions.
Last edited by shooter190; Aug 18, 2012 at 06:36 AM.
Would be boring and too easy to get passed if your going against bots. Maybe a lil more challenging by adding race missions? So the bot is made to complete the course in a fast time and all you have to do is beat it. And cool mods that involve weapons, falling, cars ect..would be nice. Also maybe some quick time events. If it's gonna be dull and only played on the basic mods wit no excitement not supported. But if it's more like what I described then supported.
blue
pink
Originally Posted by scottymoore2010 View Post
i like this idea and i support it all the way. like what someone said befor when multiplayer isnt working instead of just fighting uke motionless, you fight a uke that skills increase every fight. and yes it would teach new players how to run and comprehend new moves. but i think the hard part would be the cutscenes.

You can use keyframes on replays and take off all the hud and camera movements for the cutscenes. So yeah cutscenes done, but insanely hard part that no one seems to want to make public: scripting the AI. I've been a scripter in Roblox long enough to know how hard this crap is. It's very time consuming. Go ask Eleleeth (or some shit like that).
"they're like enormous pillows of disgusting girly meat" ~Orih 2016
My Replays
why is this even an idea that popped into someones head. this is a terrible idea. the game is fun as it is. would take ages to create anyway. also, why would you want to play a story mode. this is a turn based fighting game. not mortal combat. pls no

omg rely not sup0rted
Wouldn't this ruin what toribash is about? Playing freely?
Also AI would be extremely difficult to make well.
Not supported.
A. It would be quite easy to win, because bots can't think.
B. Why isn't multiplayer good?
C. Toribash is a game designed for multiple people. They never wanted it to be an rig type game.
D. Most likely, people will play 5 min. of it and get bored since they will be fighting extremely easy bots. Look how "challenge uke" turned out. It is only good with offensive moves. It would get really boring after 5 min. of playing all offense.
Buze | Infinity | Orbus
Originally Posted by vBulletv View Post
Question to all of you: why the hell do you keep posting on this old ass thread!? It is like year old, which probably means it is NOT going to be put in-game, so stop trying and wasting space.

We're posting because it's not like the last post was a year old or something. Plus, we like to state our opinions on things. But yeah, I don't think this is gonna work however,

Originally Posted by Dafe View Post
I stopped dev because Hampa ran out of funds for it or something, but it was pretty much usable. I've always regretted not releasing it though, so I might just open the source up on GitHub or something. It was pretty ambitious. I wanted to make it so people could compose their own bots via a web interface, and I'd written a PHP replay parser and MySQL analytics to select openers.

I don't remember what War was working on, or if he was just helping test or something, but he didn't describe it very well.

It worked via a bunch of modules that worked as a series of sieves, so at the beginning of the turn, the first module could get first crack at setting joints, and whatever it didn't set was available for the rest of the modules to adjust as secondary (tertiary, etc.) priorities. You could change the order of the modules to change the general behavior of the AI, to play more safe, or be more aggressive, etc. Every module took an string input of joint states, and returned the same, so it was like some functional chainable monad crap, before I knew what that stuff was, and before functional programming was cool. It was actually inspired by the Final Fantasy 12 gambit system. Fully composed bots were also subclasses of the modules, so you could use someone else's bot as a module in your bot.

So you might have a tripod module that detects threat of DQ, and sets joints appropriately depending on orientation (detection courtesy of my spherical region lib) to set up a stable tripod, and then other joints to attack, or switch the order to be more aggressive and save from DQ if possible with what's left over.

This is a replay testing the tripod module (Uke's movements are all AI, and I'm just trying to destabilize him):
http://toribash.mydistraction.net/AI/balanceDemo7.rpl

This is a demo of a composed wushu bot, which had a module with a randomizer for hand picked wushu openers, and the tripod module. I don't remember if there was more to it than that.
http://toribash.mydistraction.net/wushuBotDemo.rpl

These are replays testing the attacking modules. Just a right arm aim module, focused on the head (Angery is the account I created to test the AI online):
http://toribash.mydistraction.net/botDecap.rpl

A right leg aim module, and a power enhancing module (e.g. if the aim module says to contract right pecs, the power boost module would also left rotate torso, etc.), targeting the head.
http://toribash.mydistraction.net/botKicks.rpl

Personally, I think GA bots are dead ends, unless you can give it the right parameters to look at (spherical coordinate positioning of points of interest is a good start).

The aim modules I used were fairly simple, conceptually. You define a 3D spherical fragment (like a half sphere) region that's fixed relative to a joint, like a shoulder pad that moves with your shoulder as you move your arm. And if the target appears inside that shoulder pad region, you raise the shoulder. Then you have a corresponding region on the underside of the shoulder that triggers a lower shoulder, and repeat for other joints, until you get fairly fine control like in that decap replay.

I don't remember anything about Lua, so if I get this going again, it's going to take a while. I wrote this crap in 2008.
-----

This is possible if you look at a body part's angle relative to attached body parts. Sorry about necro. I haven't looked at the forums in a long time. I'd thought about making a script that let you hotkey stances, but since you spend so much time floating around in Toribash, it didn't seem worth the time.

"they're like enormous pillows of disgusting girly meat" ~Orih 2016
My Replays
Story Mode
There should be a story mode where you have to fight lots of npcs with different skill levels, and add some kind of story... also win TC if u win a game.

Tc could be farmed, but that's if they don't make it correctly, which if they do, I assume it'll be made correctly. Either way, I'm not sure if this would really work...
-snip-

The idea is not bad, to prevent the farming on TC the story would only be able to be completed once and have it IP secured so people wont be able to complete it with alts. The down side is that I have no idea how a bot will be able to counter my moves and reverse them. I am un-experienced with this kind of stuff but it may be possible. I'm not sure if to support it or not.
Last edited by Lazors; Jul 23, 2014 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Snip
Creati0n is the WORST Smite player EVER
Npcs/bots are pretty much useless since all they do is throw noob moves at a completely inexperienced player without really telling you how to block them.

Instead of that, let's focus on making the tutorial cover more bases, while playing off a storyline to keep the new players from quitting the game after 10 seconds of gameplay.
Doesn't have to be complicated at all, just introduce him to different legendary players in the community, and introduce their mod specialities at the same time.
For example, Hampa could teach you the basics (joint movement, classic.tbm), Odlov could do wushu, SainTD aikido, Nuthug for sp and swex for parkour. And maybe BenD for a quick texture tutorial (to get rid of the everlasting "how2equip" and other newbie questions).

The "story" would mainly consist of move tutorials (from simple openers/counters to advanced "on the fly" moves like corks, comebacks, throws, blocks, suplexes etc), and then some kind of graduation achievement (Use the old unibash ones or make new ones, doesn't matter that much).
I'm sure some of our artists will help with cutscenes and other kinds of art. Hampa even put in some easter egg backgrounds and stuff in the folder somewhere, we could totally use these as rewards for completing tutorials. How cool wouldn't it be to complete the wushu tutorial and get to see Bojan's begotten art piece, or just unlocking shaders. Anything that gives a sense of accomplishment (basics of a game, come on).

Then again it's a lot of work and stuff, but doing it will totally make new players stick around for longer.
Last edited by Lazors; Jul 23, 2014 at 11:45 PM.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore