Toribash
Original Post
[WIP] Coding A Server Bot In C#. Useful to anyone?
Okay so, I've gotten bored with my normal programming , and decided to try something different. So i did a little research and stuff, and i started to make a bot for toribash, which can basically sit in a server and monitor things, such as chat... and well mostly chat XD, i can probably do something more productive than that, but for now its mostly something that monitors chat.

So what i'm thinking up right now, is the possibility of a swear filter, although im not sure how that would pan out, being as i see alot of non-english speaking people in toribash on a daily basis, and being i dont know swear words in other languages, thats kinda hard to get a huge dictionary going.

So right now, all my bot CAN do, is connect, log in as an admin (if you specify a password), talk, look at chat, enter spec and bout list, kick/ban. And i think thats mostly it at the moment.

Also, i've integrated Lua scripting into the program. I'm not a big fan of lua, but i thought : if it was gonna be used for toribash i should use lua since the client uses it for things as well :P . I may also integrate support for C# and Visual Basic scripts as well.

Now, i need to know 2 things,

1. What features would be useful to keep a server user-friendly?
2. How many people would actually use this app for their server?

So just drop your comments below for suggestions and whatnot, and i'll try to get back and have a look at them.

-Cheers,
Steve (oMejA)
Last edited by oMejA; Mar 23, 2008 at 01:54 AM.
A thing about swear filters: people sometimes replace letters. If you're making one, account for that, and not just literal match.
yeah i know, i plan to have a dictionary with swear words AND some modified ... strings of swear words, or i could try regular expressions.. Anywho im off to bed for now, ill check this thread tomorrow morning.
Interesting, but the idea of a swear filter got ousted a while ago. Many people who say something like "Ow fuck, you pwnzored me lol" will get kick for swearing when they arent doing anything wrong.

i have a totally post modern tattoo of a scalene triangle.
<DeadorK> fair maiden
<DeadorK> if the cum is going to be in your mouth
<DeadorK> it shall be in mine as well
Wow, awesome idea.

Having a bot to "hold down the fort" on a server. Gives empty servers constant playability.

Don't care much about a swear filter though. If you are too young for swearing then you shouldn't be playing online games or toribash.

Damn kiddies! *shakes old man fist*
"Splint Chesthair" - Is my real name.
I think a script that was interactive (like I say hi he responds hello and so on) and be able to be used as a bot (use the uke bot script for reference) also make it have the ability to rank up in the belt system, like when it bets 20 people in a server, it will get a yellow belt and etc. and when there's a certain # of people in the server like 7/12 it would log off but monitor and gets back on when it gets under 6/12 I think it would be the ultimate bot.
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
-Mohandas Gandhi
I think a vote system would be nice.

For example:

RandomGuy: Omg. I want to play in tk.
RandomGuy:!vote tk
SERVERBOT:Votes for tk; 1/[However many people in server](Would need 75%, so say, if there were four people in the server, three would need to agree and post !vote tk)

I would like it. :]

Just an idea though.
Church of BnW
Swear Filter be fail. The monitor chat would be nice because if someone posts something like This person is swearign at dadadadad and it looks one sided the server owners can flick through the chat log and see what really happened.
First off thanks for some positive feedback! :P
I'll probably end up scrapping the swear filter as many people dont like it,
and it would be a bit of extra work ^^

So,

Originally Posted by 1337Magma View Post
I think a vote system would be nice.

For example:

RandomGuy: Omg. I want to play in tk.
RandomGuy:!vote tk
SERVERBOT:Votes for tk; 1/[However many people in server](Would need 75%, so say, if there were four people in the server, three would need to agree and post !vote tk)

I might throw this in being as it seems alright idea :P

Originally Posted by T0astman View Post
The monitor chat would be nice because if someone posts something like This person is swearign at dadadadad and it looks one sided the server owners can flick through the chat log and see what really happened.

Yes i have a fairly good logging system as well.
It will make a file in ./Logs/ and timestamp it something like

(MM-DD-YYYY)(HH.MM.SS).log , then in the log file it will tell you what time the event took place

Heres an example of one of the log files, with some words replaced

(03-22-2008)(21.12.23).log

[21:12:23] ------------------------------------------
[21:12:23] ToriBot v0.1 by oMejA
[21:12:23] Defining Lua Functions...
[21:12:23] Running: Scripts/Config.lua
[21:12:23] Running: Scripts/Startup.lua
[21:12:23] Username: <InsertUserHere>
[21:12:23] Password: <MD5 hashed password here>
[21:12:23] Server Name
[21:12:23] Message of the day
[21:12:36] Authed Successfully
[21:12:39] ServerBot: Hello
[21:12:41] ServerBot: Test
[21:13:05] oMejA: Hello
[21:13:12] ServerBot: XD
So, i'll do a bit more work on the bot and check back here for more ideas/suggestions later.

Thanks for the feedback
Originally Posted by T0astman View Post
Swear Filter be fail. The monitor chat would be nice because if someone posts something like This person is swearign at dadadadad and it looks one sided the server owners can flick through the chat log and see what really happened.

my lua server bot has that. :3

oh and this should be in the third party section.
Last edited by Blam; Mar 23, 2008 at 12:35 PM.
:D