Ranking
If you arn't really familiar with building your own computer, check out sites like ibuypower.com where they sell custom built computers, that's the only way you will get what you pay for, whatever you do, DO NOT buy alienware, you will regret it for the rest of your life.
Originally Posted by PyroTime View Post
Maybe he wants a progaming pc for 2k$, though?

Programmers need ridiculously powerful pcs?

I'm a programmer and pretty sure I could do my job just fine on a $200 laptop.

Do programmers needs GPU? Nope
Do they need ram? Yeah but only a little
HDD? Ofc they benefit from a fast one, but not essential, souce can easily be held extenernally
CPU? Always nice, but even 2ghz single core can do all that is needed.

PLUS: He did say he wanted it to play SC2, not programming.
Well.

That's my budget, I want the cheapest but best bang for the buck custom computer I can get.

Can you guys make a list of the best stuff and stuff I need for a pc? This will be my first custom pc, and I use a mac currently, so I don't know. :/
TP|Guardians| Hai. Watz upz.
I've invested just under 250 dollars on my computer, and it can run starcraft 2 very well. The only thing holding it back is the processor, which is shit.

In other words, you won't need to put 2k into a computer to get gaming. Don't waste your money.
Also, I don't have to tell you not to get a Mac, right?
Hey. Sup
I suggest some:
- intel pentium i7 processor,
- 32-64gb ssd for system files - not needed, depend on budget
- 500gb-1tb hdd for storing media files,
- graphic card (harder to choose)
- ati radeon 5830/5850/5870/5970/6850/6950/6970/6990 or
- anything better then g-force gts 250 or anything with higher number, also look at price of those cards dont buy too expensive one - this will eat high amount of your budget
- 8 to 16GB RAM at least ddr3, keep it on mind when you will choose motherboard
- at least 650W power suply with at least 88% efficiency, you have to google some tests etc first to find good one
- dont forget on motherboard, choose one which will support processor you choose,
- and 5.1 audio system with sound card supportiing this will increase your experience and feelings from any game, trust me, cards from creative are pretty high quality
- other stuff: lcd monitor, mouse with high dpi, keyboard, try not to buy wireless - its bad for gaming, some coolers, and case, some DVD or Blue-Ray writer will be good too
- if you save some money use them for paying for bills, because this machine will consumpt much of electric energy

I hope I did not forgot anything.
you don't need 8-16gb of ram for gaming, 4gb of ddr2 works just fine.

650w power supply is more than efficient for a computer with only one gpu also. having a 550w power supply would even do the job.

ati OR nvidia are both good choices,

ssd isn't needed for anything really and if you get one you're just wasting money at the moment.

a good sata II hdd or two good sata II hdd's in raid 0 work just fine for storing games and running them.

for gaming the core i7 performs extremely well but you wont notice much difference going the cheaper amd route with the phenom II processors like the 955 or the 965 or 970 (i wouldn't suggest going with a 6 core amd for gaming at the moment)
You don't say?
I'd say, spend 1500 bucks on the actual computer, and use the other 500 dollars to get yourself a screen, keyboard, a decent mouse, some speakers etc.
1500 dollars can get you a computer that runs every game on the market on highest detail.
f=m*a syens
A 1000 dollar computer can run everything on max graphics. A 2000 dollar is just over doing it.
I recommend not going with something that just came out. Alot of technology gets pushed out the door early without sufficient testing. Try to go for something that came out a half a year, or a year ago. Reading reviews also helps.
I am a magnificent volcano.