ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Matchmaking in 5.0 maybe
I think we all know deep in our heart that toribash has 1 single ultimate problem.
Waiting for other players in queues is a terrible thing. You actually spectate more than you play.
Yes, you can browse the net while in queue but it's not a solution. Sometimes I find myself wanting to play. Ok, I go multiplayer and choose my favorite public room. Than I have to wait for about 5-10 minutes to actually start controlling my Tori. And I quit.

The idea itself : ( if you are lazy to read my little introduction you can start here)
We should still have this room system but we should also have a matchmaking option.
You click on matchmaking and you will be matched with an opponent in a random mod. The mod pool should consist of the big and mostly competitive mods like aikido or abd, tk, wushu. Of course players give up the choice between mods but its for the immediate play.
You can still choose to join rooms for certain mods or ranking up. Yes, the public server pool should be reworked.

Please like this idea. And please notice me hampa, sempai!
"Why?"
Originally Posted by Uncas23 View Post
I think we all know deep in our heart that toribash has 1 single ultimate problem.
Waiting for other players in queues is a terrible thing. You actually spectate more than you play.
Yes, you can browse the net while in queue but it's not a solution. Sometimes I find myself wanting to play. Ok, I go multiplayer and choose my favorite public room. Than I have to wait for about 5-10 minutes to actually start controlling my Tori. And I quit.

The idea itself : ( if you are lazy to read my little introduction you can start here)
We should still have this room system but we should also have a matchmaking option.
You click on matchmaking and you will be matched with an opponent in a random mod. The mod pool should consist of the big and mostly competitive mods like aikido or abd, tk, wushu. Of course players give up the choice between mods but its for the immediate play.
You can still choose to join rooms for certain mods or ranking up. Yes, the public server pool should be reworked.

This would still most likely still cause waiting problems. Not much of a solution imo. Also, 5 to 10 minutes isn't much of a wait time, and if you have the ability to streak, you will be playing more than you are waiting.
Originally Posted by Valterain View Post
This would still most likely still cause waiting problems. Not much of a solution imo. Also, 5 to 10 minutes isn't much of a wait time, and if you have the ability to streak, you will be playing more than you are waiting.

The problem is, that isnt the case most of the time. The more popular rooms have a far longer wait time.

This matchmaking system would be like a quick match kinda thing. One guy chooses a mod of his liking from the pool of available mods, can put in a min and max number of games optionally, server looks for someone looking to play the same thing with someone of a similar rank, they get together with the server programming the room with their specified settings. It finishes, server kicks both people, shuts itself down.

Waiting time would just depend on the popularity of the mod.
Specializing to rankings and being able to choose mod in matchmaking is too early in my opinion and it would be a much bigger programming stuff. We should see how big the demand for this is. If you play a random mod with a random guy and there aren't any restrictions there surely won't be any waiting problems even with the current population.

I imagine this matchmaking thing to be like an instant Play button.
You just click it and play a decent mod.
+ I think this huge mod pool is kinda a disadvantage. Wushu and aikido are like 2 games for example. When I was a mewcommer I was pretty confused which mod to play. I really liked the idea of toribash in general and I simply wanted to play the "official and original tpribash mod" but there isn't such. Matchmaking would unite the hole toribash multiplayer. I mean there is a matchmaking system in every modern game.
You can remember that counter strike and cod also had this server thing but now they all run with matchmaking.
And those are more than 2 player games. Not having a matchmaking in a purely 1v1 game is absurd. Imagine that you have to wait and spectate other players in street fighter or starcraft or hearthstone for example.

As for the bigger server requirements: Yes, these matches will all need an own server but one of the players can just made to be the host. Latency is not a huge problem in toribash though.
Last edited by Uncas23; Aug 1, 2015 at 10:54 AM.
"Why?"
The way I picture matchmaking is for multiplayer to be split into servers and matchmaking, if you click matchmaking, you get thrown into a server with someone else who clickrd it of around the same rank in a random "competitive" mod, of course other people can join this room and spectate, but you can only play if you clicked matchmaking

when the game is over and everyone is kicked, perhaps it could also be best of 3 or something
Don't dm me pictures of bowls that you find attractive.
Originally Posted by SmallBowl View Post
The way I picture matchmaking is for multiplayer to be split into servers and matchmaking, if you click matchmaking, you get thrown into a server with someone else who clickrd it of around the same rank in a random "competitive" mod, of course other people can join this room and spectate, but you can only play if you clicked matchmaking

when the game is over and everyone is kicked, perhaps it could also be best of 3 or something

This pretty much looks like the way to go. The only problem now is for TB to find some coders. From what I know atm, we dont have any actual coder atm since fish stopped coding(?) and Hampa's too busy to do it himself. Dont quote me on that one since I'm not that sure. But yeah. Idea seems pretty solid, no reason I see for it now to be added 'cept the lack of coders.
Well matchmaking is needed in a game like toribash if it is ever to be considered competitive. Best of 5 would be perfect, and also so the player can't pick the exact mod they want.

Lets say there would be a pool of 5 mods and then 1 is randomly picked before the match. This would determine real skill rather than a player just being able to play Mushu but sucking at all the other mods yet still gain rank 1.

Dude I totally feel you on that one So I would Vote For this suggestion
Last edited by TaylorF09; Aug 1, 2015 at 07:52 PM. Reason: For got abit
WHO PARKED THERE CAR ON MY SANDWICH
Texture making

This may help you out explaining everything. Starts on the bottom of Page 6.
Stay Fluffy My Friends | I do loans and shit
Founder of [ROT] | Destroyer of Anus
The fact that more of us had the same idea in the same time makes it even more necessary.

The lack of coders may actually be a big problem though. But hampa looks pretty active at the moment so I hope...
"Why?"