Ranking
Original Post
Move toribash to a new engine?
As stated by the title, I feel it would benefit toribash a lot If the devs moved toribash to a new engine, such as unity or unreal.
I don't know If this hasn't happened yet because of hampa or maybe it just hasn't been suggested, but If you move toribash to a new engine, you could add a bunch of better features (such as 4 player battle, More than 16 movable mod items (Please guys, its killing us all) and better texture options/model capacity) which will bring interest back to the game.

I feel this would be good for toribash and I would love to see it in the future (expecially more than 16 movable mod items.... Please?)
|PARKOUR|PKRitz|TRICKING|
Lucky
All of them are capable in the current engine, however one was shit (4 player) and got removed years ago due to being shit. There's a reason it always end up put in the things not to suggest list.

Even with a new engine it would have the same art style (TB's design doc is included in the Steam install), the same volunteer modellers & would end up looking the same as it already does... Except it'd have a far higher GPU requirement in the process.

Engines don't magically change everything.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
I talked to hampa about this on skype about 2 years ago and basically he said its never going to happen, because it would cost "millions" (his words) and he explained its not nearly as simple as create a new engine...
A lot of engines these days are free. UE4, Lumberyard, and Unity to name just a few. I fail to see how it would cost even close to that much.
millions were an exaggeration. However, it's not as simple as grabbing a game and gently pegging it at a different engine. It would involve a rewrite of most, if not the entire game.

I'm sure we can sacrifice 4 player battles for having some stuff added to the game for the next decade. If hampa had the time and money to just sit down and work on a new engine or port the game to a free one, he probably would.

It's not gonna happen.

Oh, sure, those engines, by themselves are free enough to be used.

However, reprogramming the existing game to use the features of the new engine properly, to fit within that engine's design paradigms, and to actually benefit from the change in engine is not a simple plug and play task. It would likely requires dedicated weeks or months of development time alone, since Toribash isn't simple. Furthermore, some of the parts of the game that actually have problems wouldn't see any benefit from this, since they're not dependent on these things. The cost of changing engine is primarily going to be measured in time and increased performance requirements, and Toribash doesn't (wouldn't) take advantage of many of the features these engines could provide anyways.
Squad Squad Squad lead?
The standardization of Toribash Squad roles may have gone too far!
There is one thing that we need though... we need WAY more modmaker features... the better modmaker we have, the better the game is. toribash revolves around mods. and the way the modmaker is being neglected in these updates is not helping at all. Whenever we need a new feature it is always the same answer: the engine cant handle it, so while toribash isnt going to die anytime soon. the way its being neglected is definitely putting an expiration date on this game. I hope you at least think about improving the engine.
art horder. i like art.
mod requests: https://discord.gg/VEYqUSU