Ranking
Original Post
Upgrade tori control system | IK controls
In my opinion to upgrade tori control system developers should make something work similar to Maya 3d animation but with physics. I just want to say that it would be better to control tori by pulling parts of the body during turns. Watch this video and think about this idea
https://youtu.be/XII9aKbVXrg
Why it will upgrade toribash. You will have more precision. You will be able to have more control of your tori. Will be better to play mods. Just will be easier. You will be able to make more moves. I know it hard to make again tori control system but it will give to you more capabilities. I would like to see this system in toribash. Are you agree with my idea?

Lengthy post from snake

Example from cappuccino
Last edited by sir; Jan 17, 2018 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Uptade
How about advertising? Since there was barely any for this game outside of youtube videos. How about a game with an engine that is not 15 years old? oh wait, that's already happening. It's called Toribash Next.

kore Moderated Message:
Okay, I ended up deleting a bunch of posts because they were just saying "no your idea sucks because it won't work and it wont work because the controls suck".
Try to keep the thread productive, and if no more ideas are to be had, then let the thread die.
Last edited by Kore; Sep 6, 2018 at 07:19 PM.
|Opener by Xioi|#KillTheScootCork|
|Replays|
"Cool delfin med solglajjor" -Larfen
You do realise we were all new players once right? This game isn't dying because of it having bad controls, it's a matter of age. It's an almost 15 year old game. It's honestly amazing that an indie game like this is still able to maintain a community. Games get old and die. This is why there is a new one in the works.
|Opener by Xioi|#KillTheScootCork|
|Replays|
"Cool delfin med solglajjor" -Larfen
To be fair, TB being unique in its gameplay is the drawback, with so many games sharing mostly the same systems is easy to get hold of them, but they are also easy to learn.
For example, you get in a FPS game for the first time, you get to move the mouse and walk with WASD or arrow keys, and anything else is secondary, crouching, aiming, etc. You get to use all the controls over time and get better.
But in TB you get rid of the easy part AND the shared gameplay system, resulting in invest all the skills in one game, one game that, from the point of view of even its community, is dead. Of course you can say games die, but that's not necesarilly true because there are games from the '00 era that have a good playerbase, but that's because the games are good enough, aside from system requirements.

While I don't like major changes in games that just want to retain its players, this is a needed one. I'm not sure how are you imagining tb with this change, but fighting will have the very same amount of unpredictiveness, and you can't compare it to a 3d model editor where physics are not applied.
I would also like to say again, this is meant to?/should be more like move like you want, not like you can, with the limited 1 axis per joint and stuff.

And if it's not about the controls as you say Mack, only time will tell.
I seriously don't think Toribash is lacking in controls. It's a great way that, once learned, works for both intermediate and expert players through joints of varying importance.

My wild guess is that new IK controls would work similarly to the joints we have now. And while I'd prefer the joints I'd try to imagine what the IK controls would mean to Toribash.
I can't for the love of it think it'd be much different, other than confusing.

You'd drag the ghost to where you want the tori to move. How would you control the amount of speed/strength during a round? It's easy to control that with the current control scheme.

I just can't see it, and I'm happy with the controls.
Owner of Fred
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I sort of agree with what Swepples said. IK controls would bring just as many negatives as positives.

People have been pointing out many positives and I think it's become stale at this point, so here's few negatives:

1) To start with, you could pretty much never re-create the same opener/move two times, and that's definitely not a good thing. Especially to newer players, openers are easy and quick tools to get grasp of this game. With every round having to be whole new move it's easy to get overwhelmed. This could be solved with move memory, but then again, I don't know that many people who prefer move memory asides from tryhard duellers.

2) The second big issue is reaction time. Even from the GIFs provided in this thread you can see how moving your tori is so much more time consuming in comparison to just clicking on joints (since you're adding an additional step of dragging). That means Toribash games would potentially get even longer than they already are, which doesn't look good on a 1 v 1 game with a lobby full of waiting players.

3) This might be a bit controversial one, but I think it deserves to be addressed: there is a high chance that the game will become way less balanced. Even with current limited controls, there are already 100% win rate moves on certain mods. Now imagine having IK controls. There is no reason why someone couldn't find a 100% or close to 100% win rate move for aikido, TK or any other highly competitive mod. With move memory those could be saved and played out whenever where ever which would potentially kill the whole multiplayer scene.

If you think that IK controls would "equal out the playing field" I'm here to tell you it would actually do the opposite. Any little early game advantages, such as easy ways to lift or shovel a person would become easier than ever, and while "superior lift" competition would take place, that's not what I would call a desired competitive scene. The same could be applied to any other dominating move or mod, especially mods like aikido or lenshu where first few moves can often determine game's outcome.

In conclusion i think this would be great change to "realism" players, but it would most likely harm or possibly even put an end to competitive side of the game. And yes I know this discussion is dead but I wanted to put my opinion out there anyways.

Regarding anything else, current controls are what shaped this game into what it is, and I believe they should stay this way.
Last edited by Smaguris; Sep 7, 2018 at 03:03 AM.
I tried implementing something like this in my own game

Made it within a day so it looks a bit rough
Originally Posted by oleg47rus View Post
I tried implementing something like this in my own game

Made it within a day so it looks a bit rough

this is really great prototype!

i have a few suggestions to improve the game if you are still working on it:

1) make a default IK behaviour respect the environment/collisions
mening if you move leg somewhere, it should not go below the surface level, or if you move your hand to hit something, ghost doesn't go though, but stops when it touch the object

2) add a hotkey to ignore environment/collisions for the bodypart you move
meaning you hold SHIFT for example, and move your hand over the face of the opponent, the arm of the ghost goes through, allowing you to make a punch
same for legs - ghost doesn't go through the floor unless you SHIFT, preventing you from flailing constantly

3) when you click on a bodypart you want to move, and spawn a windrose like this next to the bodypart

so the player can click and drag the X for example to move the part in X axis

aaaaand is it on greenlight? would gladly buy
Last edited by snake; Sep 8, 2018 at 06:49 PM.
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
To Be Honest, I Don't like the idea. I Like toribash being hard asf. It took me a year to learn. I Teach Toribash now keep it how it is. It Gives People a challenge a reason to wanna be good
The Emperor Decrees