Toribash
Original Post
Toribash World Championship 2019

Hi, and welcome to Toribash World Championship 2019!

In this event, the best players of Toribash community will face each other in a grand show of skill to see who claims the gold and becomes the new reigning Champion!

Toribash World Championship 2019 is a single elimination tournament.

In the first round, participating players will face each other in best-of-5 duels.
Rounds 2, 3 and 4 will be best-of-7 duels.
Quaterfinals and semifinals will be best-of-9 duels.
Finals will be a best-of-11 duel.

All duels will follow the same structure:
First game is always played in boxshu_mushu_v3.tbm.
Every next game's mod is selected by the losing side.
A player can't select the same mod more than two times.

If a player pings or disconnects during the duel after first turn, that is considered a point loss.
Exceptions to this rule are only possible if both players agree to replay the fight.

List of available mods:
aikidobigdojo.tbm
lenshu3ng.tbm
boxshu_mushu_v3.tbm
taekkyon.tbm
judofrac.tbm

After completing the duel, one of the sides has to post the log where every fight's outcome and mod are included.
If possible, also include the replays of every fight - keep autosave enabled in order not to miss them

If your opponent is evading the duel or fails to show up at agreed time, make sure you report it either in this thread or contact me (sir#9999) on discord.

If a pair is unable to finish their duel within given time, both players will be disqualified.

DEADLINE FOR QUARTERFINALS IS JANUARY 27, 2020

700,000 Toricredits
35 Shiai Tokens
Comic Effects
Stone Tori full set (joints + bodyparts)
Two color packs of your choosing*
Lifetime Qi X2 booster
Lifetime VIP subscription
Unique member page background
160x200px forum avatar of your choosing

500,000 Toricredits
25 Shiai Tokens
Comic Effects
Stone Tori bodyparts
Color pack of your choosing*
Qi X2 booster for one year
VIP subscription for one year

350,000 TC
20 Shiai Tokens
Comic Effects
Stone Tori bodyparts
Color pack of your choosing*
Qi X2 booster for 6 months
VIP subscription for 6 months

Other players who get to top 8 will also receive 50,000 Toricredits, 10 Shiai Tokens and VIP subscriptions for 2 months.

Special thanks to Valha for donating 350,000 TC and Aeon clan for donating 300,000 TC towards prize pool.

* Excluding Onyx

Last edited by sir; Jan 22, 2020 at 07:32 AM.
One final duel remains, won't be setting any deadlines on this so find the time that's best suited for you both (Lisa and Velordrel) and may the strongest player win!
Imagine ending 2019 world's in 2023 without deadlines
Ex - Moderator of russian sections
Ex-Event squad defender
Ex-Tori Agents Sentinel
if we doing rematches ill rematch cicada for 5m lmfao i played him within 5 minutes of waking up i wasnt even conscious

good job btw vel im glad you or lisa will win
Originally Posted by Wounder View Post
if we doing rematches ill rematch cicada for 5m lmfao i played him within 5 minutes of waking up i wasnt even conscious

good job btw vel im glad you or lisa will win

It was 2:15 pm for you -.-
{(Forever In Your Heart 💚)}
Has anyone ever thought of organizing a tournament like the rest of the fgc does where you play from a certain time to a certain time and the tournament is over in 1 weekend? Like you know with pools double elim and generally just a more reasonable timeframe than finishing the 2019 worlds in 2020...

It's also a lot better for spectators, it even means that there are spectators unlike here. It would be easy to set up a stream of it, it would be much more effective pr wise

I'm sure many people would even volunteer for commentary and as long as you some sort of prize pool of real money people will get up at weird times during the weekend to participate in the tourney.

You could even organize an invitational smash summit style for that

Don't get me wrong this is not a bad tournament, its how tb has always been but i think it's time for some change, at least to give it a go
Make a one week deadline for a whole event and watch how 70% of people can't find time for it. Go ahead

------------

Comment what? How people move joints? Game is not about a show, it's boring to watch from the side, if only you are not expirienced player.
How do you see those who dont understand anything in game watch Abd for example? It'll be boring af. And those who understands whats going on does not need any comments
Last edited by Guard; Jan 29, 2020 at 06:42 PM.
Ex - Moderator of russian sections
Ex-Event squad defender
Ex-Tori Agents Sentinel
Originally Posted by Nikorn View Post
Make a one week deadline for a whole event and watch how 70% of people can't find time for it. Go ahead

------------

Comment what? How people move joints? Game is not about a show, it's boring to watch from the side, if only you are not expirienced player.
How do you see those who dont understand anything in game watch Abd for example? It'll be boring af. And those who understands whats going on does not need any comments

Not a 1 week deadline I'm saying everything is happening in real time every pool has 1 room and then the bracket happens in another room, kind of like there is 1 setup per pool in smaller locals for fighting games and 1 setup for bracket. That way if you're there when it starts you'll be there till the end. Top 8 or top16 would be played on the next day.

Commentary is there to make spectators understand what is going on and the personality and chemistry of the commentators is what compensates for the wait times between turns. Then again this time provides more than enough time to explain what's happening, who's winning, what could happen etc.

I mean these tournaments are there to keep the community playing and get an increase in players anyways, so if that's the goal why not go all in and get real stakes and make it more enjoyable to follow.

Like rn for me as a tb player there is nothing i can enjoy about this tournament if I'm not playing, there are no vods no fixed schedules for matches no match analysis no streams no nothing all i have is the challonge bracket

And yeah not many people are gonna watch it but many more people are gonna be invested in it compared to the current format.

Btw just bc you understand what's going on that doesn't mean commentary doesn't make it better, not only does commentary give you a more nuanced perspective, not only does it teach you more about the game, the mod and the player, but it also just makes it more entertaining. Do you think people that watch football prefer to watch the matches wirh the tv on mute or what about other fighting games, do you think a tekken player doesn't understand what's going on when watching tournaments live?

It's not even that hard nor expensive to get it running:

You need: 1 person for the stream, 1 person for organizing and moderating the whole thing, 2 people for commentary that are available throughout the entire duration of the tournament (around 4 hours depending on the amount of players), enough money to attract people to join (like $20-$50 should be enough), maybe you can even have a $5 pot fee to enter the tournament, anywhere from 8 to 64 players who compete.

Every pool has a room top2 out of every pool get into bracket etc. Just copy that and the pool captains from other fgc tournaments.
Last edited by Thronior; Jan 30, 2020 at 12:23 AM.