Toribash
Original Post
Promoting competitiveness on Toribash.
This is both [Game] & [Community].

About a month ago Scourge & I were talking about the kind of game Toribash is trying to be and the kind of game it could be (and should be, in my opinion). The main point of discussion was about competitiveness in Toribash. I don't know if he still shares the same opinion but we both believed that Toribash has the potential to go fully competitive and how it would be a much better game if it did.

I am sure a lot of you remember Les Duncan's commentries over high skilled Toribash matches. I think it's pretty obvious he was trying to push a competitve atmosphere on Toribash and I, for one, really enjoyed watching tense matches with commentary, high duels and bets. Those videos honestly made Toribash look so much better than what it actually is. Duels, bets and high skill mods are what keep this game active with users who stick around.

I believe the issue lies in the fact Toribash wants to appeal more to new members than it does to long-term players. The result is players who have only played the game for a few weeks leaving it and not returning because all they saw of it was a fighting game with mods and a customizable character, which is exactly what it is right now: a game that gives you no reason to return. Instead, Toribash could present new players with the competitive aspect of things: skill mods, duels/bets (or risking tc in general) and even replay making. These three things are the only things that are keeping most of the older plays around (with the exception of the forum). I could see this game gaining much more popularity in the future once people realise there is a point to it and that you can actually get really good and begin earning.

Feel free to ask me questions and add to this. I will answer as best as I can.
blue
pink
Ive pretty much quit multiplayer toribash now because ive lost interest in it, theres not motivation to play anymore, I could try to get items n shit, but the only way to get anywhere is to buy tc, or gamble.

If we could bring back the competitiveness of toribash I'm pretty sure this game could do a lot better.

When I first started playing tb it was hard as fuck and I wanted to be as good as the people I saw in LesDuncans videos, maybe be in one( I eventually reached these goals) so I moved onto trying to get rank 1 in some mods, mainly rk-mma.tbm after a year when I was finally getting in the top 100 they redid the ranking system undoing all my hard work. I don't even bother trying to get rank 1 anymore because I'm not willing to wait till the beginning of the month and stay up all day so I can be the first one to start farming for #1

Please have some way we can have the old comp system back, I believe a lot more people will stay because it would provide a goal for them to strive towards, and give me a reason to play again.
Last edited by Kirito; Oct 26, 2016 at 01:26 AM.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nomad Moderated Message:
Be more straightforward with your uplifting messages or I'll fucking skin you alive.
^ well said. I'm glad you agree! And yeah I believe the ranking system plays a big role in this too. When you first start Toribash you'd start as rank 3 million (or so) and to get to the top ten you had to have an elo close to 1700 but you also had to fight higher ranks to steal them and gain elo quicker. I remember playing Jousting for days and weeks to get rank 1 in the mod. I only ever managed to reach rank 17 before they were reset but that old system is one thing that gave players a reason to play. But there is already a thread for that so If anyone has other points to bring up, please do.
blue
pink
Bump!

A dedicated section for competitive talk would be nice too.
blue
pink
yeah it would be cool for tb to have nore/fully competitive vibe to it, but imo there's not many really good players besides most of the duelers (the good ones atleast) and maybe a few others. and in a competitive setting, if you aren't one of these good players, you have very little chance to win.

maybe if the competitive setting had a tier system based on skill it could fix that problem.
[CENTER][B]professor finesser
^ thats a nice thing to add. tier based competitveness would be sweet and a good start.
blue
pink