Toribash
In the United States, having more inmates means more taxes from citizens. Now, if you abolish private prisons (which many people support), then who's willing to pay more money out of their pocket so the government can hold more prisoners? It's a matter of cost. The death penalty abolishes the need to cause many citizens financial harm, and the death penalty helps deter greater crimes.
<a href=https://imgur.com/gallery/AnXm6 target=_blank>https://imgur.com/gallery/AnXm6</a>
Dargon Moderated Message:
Infracted for having the best goddamn replays in Toribash history.

Originally Posted by Enclave View Post
In the United States, having more inmates means more taxes from citizens. Now, if you abolish private prisons (which many people support), then who's willing to pay more money out of their pocket so the government can hold more prisoners? It's a matter of cost. The death penalty abolishes the need to cause many citizens financial harm, and the death penalty helps deter greater crimes.

overall this makes sense, I still have to think a bit more about it though. But:

[...]the death penalty helps deter greater crimes.

Doesn't rehabilitation/treatment of inmates makes them more likely to go back live a functional life, lowering the chance of recidivism? It can be beneficial in the long run.
Another point is that most criminals aren't afraid of consequences. They don't believe they will get caught.

Also, according to this:
According to the National Academy of Sciences, "Research on the deterrent effect of capital punishment is uninformative about whether capital punishment increases, decreases, or has no effect on homicide rates."

Last edited by victortb; Jun 10, 2020 at 01:53 AM.
retired replaymaker | discord: victortb#9592

That's a really good point, but killing a really tiny percentage on the death row will not make US citizens pay significantly less.
SOU TUGAAAAAAAAAA

human life > money
alright guy

Strangely, it actually costs the state more money to execute a prisoner than it does to keep them in prison. Death row inmates are guaranteed a very long and thorough judicial process by the constitution to minimise the chance of a wrongful execution, and these processes typically involve the most experienced and expensive lawyers and frequently use a lot of DNA testing, which is very expensive.

Many death row inmates also remain on death row for decades during this extended trial and appeal process, spending most of their time in special buildings separated from other prison populations, which require additional upkeep and more guards. In Texas for example, it costs an average of 2.3 million dollars - this is about 3 times more than is would cost to imprison someone in a maximum security prison for 40 years. It varies from state to state, but in every case it is more expensive to execute someone than it is to give them life in prison. In Maryland it costs an average of $3 million ($1.9 million more than it would cost to incarcerate them for life without parole), and in Pennsylvania this website suggests they've spent $350 million on the death penalty over a period of time where only 3 inmates actually ended up being executed.
one time i had a hair deep in my urethra and when i pulled it out it felt kinda good ~fudgiebalz 2020

<~Skul> they're not children, they're demon midgets
<~Skul> if you kill one in front of the rest, they'll scatter and leave
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Idk if it is better to have a death penalty or to make all the killers / rapists suffer on a prison cell for the rest of their lives

Well, you pay taxes to feed this people, always remember that
Ex - Moderator of russian sections
Ex-Event squad defender
Ex-Tori Agents Sentinel
Originally Posted by Guard View Post
Well, you pay taxes to feed this people, always remember that

Well I only pay taxes for normal prisoners (here in Portugal we don't have death penalty).
And the taxes are not so bad because this is a small country with barely 10 million people.
SOU TUGAAAAAAAAAA

this is naive. the US prison system is very serious problem.
if you think any controversial issue is black and white you dont understand it buddy.

the USA currently has the highest incarceration rate to my knowledge. the issue is an issue of law and law enforcement, not of individuals.
the solution you propose to this is to execute people? you're trying to fix an issue by fixing one symptom here. even if they did start killing people left and right, the police still have quotas and will find more people to arrest. prisons still have beds to fill and im sure these 2 massive industries are going to fight for their jobs, even if its inhumane to the rest of us.

also are you sure it would really deter people from crime? people dont typically weigh the risks of their actions when doing something punishable by law. they quite often do not even know there are serious consequences until after the fact. police are hated enough as is by taking people off to jail, but if they start taking people off to an electric chair again... well, it would get very messy indeed.

if it is just a matter of cost like you say then why not throw government mandated eugenics in the mix too? maybe a little forced sterilization for those with inferior genetics? that would save plenty of tax money on people with disabilities...

my response:

do you want a total stranger to have power over your life?
I do not.
I do not believe I should hold that power, and I certainly do not believe anyone else should.

the legal system is run by ordinary people, people who make mistakes, have biases, and have agendas.
laws are made and enforced by people with varying views and beliefs, many of which I do not agree with. there are countless laws, many of which I do not agree with. laws vary based on your location but your knowledge of them does not. some laws are downright unconstitutional. this leaves much to be desired and I do not believe the current system deserves any more power, let alone what it already has.

I dont want to live in an authoritarian dystopia quite yet.
no thanks.

lol

#BombThe Prisons

the tax will fall and the belly grows
Enjoint life
We all have only 1 life as far as we know. Death penalty is a way to make people fear doing some type of heavy crime. Imagine people that have done terible things, such as killing one person, you think it's better for everyone if that person dies or if that person keeps alive, "suffering" in prison?

If the person is dead, it means no crimes will be commited by that person anymore and people will be safe.