Ranking
Original Post
Upgrade tori control system | IK controls
In my opinion to upgrade tori control system developers should make something work similar to Maya 3d animation but with physics. I just want to say that it would be better to control tori by pulling parts of the body during turns. Watch this video and think about this idea
https://youtu.be/XII9aKbVXrg
Why it will upgrade toribash. You will have more precision. You will be able to have more control of your tori. Will be better to play mods. Just will be easier. You will be able to make more moves. I know it hard to make again tori control system but it will give to you more capabilities. I would like to see this system in toribash. Are you agree with my idea?

Lengthy post from snake

Example from cappuccino
Last edited by sir; Jan 17, 2018 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Uptade
Originally Posted by Xioi View Post
You really don't know what you are talking about. Make replays for 8 years and come back saying that again.

you don't have the grasp at the slightest of what the realism part of Tb's replaymaking is about.

Because you seem to not have an understanding to why people play Mp sparring or realism

salt salt salt salt

i've been doing spars and freerunning and almost about everything except judo and tk, for ages. even before it became mainstream, lol
so there is no need to discount me or to try to tell that i have no idea, gosh, you can ask your likely idol swexx about me sparring / freerunning if you really care

Because it's simple and easy to do stuff if you master it. Mastering it is the hard fucking part, that should be hard to learn.

it will be hard to learn to become good. ahem the control scheme is an interface, not the game. what when and how to do on which turn is the game. it is irrelevant if you use joints or drag parts, because in the end it all boils down to sequences of moves, and how/which/when is exactly the hard to master core of the game, or skill for short.

If you wanna make Toribash 1 hour then get bored of it edition. Feel free, i'm not touching that in any way, shape or form. Because that isn't what Toribash is for me, and most of my replaymaking friends.

i don't get where or when you imagined 1 hour thing, as you don't really try to explain what you mean, so i hope you would not be offended if i will conclude that there is not much besides salt in this reply of yours, would you?
Last edited by snake; Jan 8, 2018 at 01:45 AM.
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
Honestly wrote alot as a response, but i can't be bothered.

Hope to god no one is stupid enough to go through with the suggestions made in here. Because it would make Tb next into something entirely different of what Tb has been and what people that have wasted ridiculous hours into love it for.

So meh, keep on writing, whatever. You're allowed your opinion,

And yes, verry much so salty. Since you really don't have a clue.
Jun 2, 2023 - .best. day. ever.
Everything is going to look like shit. There's going to be twitching, and a lot of it. This is because there is no way to decide with what power you are going to move with. Now you might have figured out some complicated solution to this but if we're going to add even more elements to this I'm pretty sure the original already does a way better job at simplifying the movement controls.
|Opener by Xioi|#KillTheScootCork|
|Replays|
"Cool delfin med solglajjor" -Larfen
From my limited knowledge of multiplayer, this seems like a legitimate point, simplifying the movement would shift more focus to strategy rather than trying to do the most solid tripod or going through the motions to avoid the lift/shovel/suplex and hoping your foot lands in the dojo or your leg doesn't break when you land. Correct me if I'm wrong, this is from my reduced multiplayer experience: I think the limitations in movement force you to simplify your movement to the bare basics, and during a fight a lot of times you're reduced to essentially doing whatever move works in the most situations. The fact that people save openers and moves with scripts and just pick from them during games is indicative of this. More specific and accessible movement would allow you to plan more specific things and attacks, would provide more situations for the players to be in and consequentially require more strategy and quick thinking.

I realise you probably have little or no interest in replays in general, but just as an attempt to articulate what other people are posting in this thread, here's from a singleplayer standpoint:
It makes sense that replay makers would be averse to this because simplified movement diminishes the merit of performing a difficult move. Obviously there is no hardship or physical strain in making any move at all in a replay regardless of how specific it is, it's 100% patience and trying different things, but there is merit in the player using his experience to quickly figure out which joint states he needs in each frame in order to perform his desired movement, at least in my opinion. Anyone could make the best or most complex move if you give them infinite time, but the difference between good players and new players is that new players will spend far too long and give up before they achieve the same moves that experienced players do.

You can argue that easier movement would just take everything to a new level and a higher standard, but I have a slight concern that it would create a tighter gap in quality between entry level and the physical limits of the game (which remain the same no matter how good people are). The difficulty of movement is responsible for replays increasing in quality non stop for over 10 years now, people are still figuring out ways to make better replays in terms of execution. Meekly using myself as an example, I made a replay just a day ago and while making it I concerned myself with tweaking movement in ways I had never before, even if it's small things, I still find new things to try and improve, because it's just so stupidly hard to get everything right.

I understand the point of view that says "I would rather have freedom of movement in order to perform any move my imagination desires", and it's an especially valid complaint in the realm of multiplayer where the difficulty of the move is not of great concern, I would absolutely like to see how it would work in a mod like wushu with the feeling that it would change it for the better.
However, I like the challenge of triumphing over the game's clunky controls to do something impressive with them. And I am naturally biased towards the current system because I enjoy seeing people do the same. I comprehend that having more and better tools would allow us to have greater fights and make greater things, but I and others are enamoured with and impressed by the idea of making something great with limited tools.

As I mentioned before though, I think this seems like an interesting idea for multiplayer where both players are given the advantage of greater movement and the fight elevates to a more strategic level.
Last edited by pusga; Jan 8, 2018 at 03:19 AM.
oh yeah
Originally Posted by pusga View Post
You can argue that easier movement would just take everything to a new level and a higher standard, but I have a slight concern that it would create a tighter gap in quality between entry level and the physical limits of the game (which remain the same no matter how good people are). The difficulty of movement is responsible for replays increasing in quality non stop for over 10 years now, people are still figuring out ways to make better replays in terms of execution.

welp that would be my argument, as even with the new control scheme there will be lots of space to grow,

right now as i understand, replay-makers skill approached the engine limitations in making replays, which is really cool, so err i would probably re-phrase the argument in the sence, don't you want more freedom and more room to grow?

i mean it's not like control scheme changed and we all suddenly reach the end-point of game engine limitations, that would probably take another 10 years

Originally Posted by pusga View Post
I concerned myself with tweaking movement in ways I had never before, even if it's small things, I still find new things to try and improve, because it's just so stupidly hard to get everything right.

you will have bottlenecks with any kind of control scheme to get things exactly how you like, thats inevitable

i would like to give an example but not about toribash but about text editors

the core idea of a text editor is to create and edit text
thats the "gameplay" of the editor

some text editors have simple interface, like ms notepad for example, some are more complex, like notepad++, some are really heavy like vim or emacs

these are all text editors, and they all have writing/editing text as it's core "gameplay"

the only difference in the interface

for example notepad is supposed to be the easiest of them, right?
err nope

emacs and notepad have similar interface, but emacs allows you to do much more if you wish to explore it

so making a substitution in specific range is easy in emacs, while notepad can't do it at all,

then again there are people who are just using emacs, and those who are experts in it

the way they use it is similar, but experts know how to use all these juicy features avaiable to them, while novices just use the basic functionality, which is similar to notepad

but in the very end it all boils down to writing text, and not just typing words, but person's creativity and his ability to put words in sentences

one could write i luv punies
and the other could be a Shakespeare

and it doesn't matter if the one used the lastest avaiable digital editor on the market, or if he uses a feather and ink

the bottleneck is not in ability to write words or sentences, but in the mind and creativity of the person

i hope this comparison would help

tl;dr
we can surely talk about the nature of creativity and how creativity is bound to presence of limitations in some other thread, but believe, even if the new system will be flawless there going to be enough limitations to spark creativity, just because it is impossible to have a perfect control scheme that will translate whats on your mind to a computer, and even if there was, not all minds are brilliant

thats the main point i would like to get across
Last edited by snake; Jan 8, 2018 at 03:46 AM.
tell me about aikido
Originally Posted by snake View Post
welp that would be my argument, as even with the new control scheme there will be lots of space to grow,

right now as i understand, replay-makers skill approached the engine limitations in making replays, which is really cool, so err i would probably re-phrase the argument in the sence, don't you want more freedom and more room to grow?

i mean it's not like control scheme changed and we all suddenly reach the end-point of game engine limitations, that would probably take another 10 years

Our divide is in that I think the leap from having controlling joints to clicking and dragging is far bigger than the leap from having limited movement and adding more range and rotations. My worry is that it might make it far easier to do what you want without adding that many new possibilities to the game, giving it a slightly wider scope but making the "journey" much less difficult.

Originally Posted by snake View Post

I don't really know if the limits are being reached, in some aspects it seems like people have pretty much got it down (dismemberments I would say), meanwhile there are other things that are still very much being improved (movement is looking more and more intentional the last few years) and there are trends just taking off (hacking). You can never claim with certainty that something has been taken to its limit though, in 2017 Jaker claimed the fastest double split record that had stood for over 10 years. Back then it was Beznick making it look like nobody would ever top his records, today it's Jaker (and Rfifan who puts stupid amounts of time into weird records). I doubt the game will last long enough for there to be another Jaker, but if it were to last I would say there's a good chance we'd see someone else pushing further, somehow.
oh yeah
"so whats the point in making new game exactly the same without fixing it's main flaw of horrid outdated controls?..."

You really don't know what you are talking about. Make replays for 8 years and come back saying that again. Because you seem to not have an understanding to why people play Mp sparring or realism bla bla. Because it's simple and easy to do stuff if you master it. Mastering it is the hard fucking part, that should be hard to learn. If you wanna make Toribash 1 hour then get bored of it edition. Feel free, i'm not touching that in any way, shape or form. Because that isn't what Toribash is for me, and most of my replaymaking friends.

From the beginning the shovel wouldnt even be possible with real gravity,
toribash next must be changed so the moves will be realistic at any point,
which I hope for a Good ragdoll game,
so there is no immitating of realism with hard controls.

Originally Posted by Mack View Post
Maybe it'll be better with physics applied, but I think this will end up in making everything looking stiff as all hell since the relaxed joint state will be removed.

physics will make all less stiff as toribash needs to limit body strength and let it flow with the interactions.

I have a bad question,
If an animation takes weeks to be done with realism,
how long would take to move each turn?
Last edited by dengue; Jan 8, 2018 at 10:55 PM.
Originally Posted by dengue View Post
I have a bad question,
If an animation takes weeks to be done with realism,
how long would take to move each turn?

15 seconds "good enough" kind of precision in multiplayer with normal reactiontime
hours for something perfect during the replay making in sp

basically the same as now methinks
tell me about aikido
Originally Posted by dengue View Post
From the beginning the shovel wouldnt even be possible with real gravity,
toribash next must be changed so the moves will be realistic at any point,
which I hope for a Good ragdoll game,
so there is no immitating of realism with hard controls

you really dont know what you're talking about at all, do you

via modding, you can easily make shoveling impossible. It has nothing to do with the gravity, it has to do with the:
  • body density distribution
  • strength level of each joint
  • strength distribution across various groups of joints

none of the point//density//strength//velocity distributions are really very good in the default toris, buts its an issue easily solved with resources easily available in current toribash versions, and are all issues which have been solved in many mods released the past twoish years (especially in weapon mods).

if i wanted to i could very easily, in just a couple of nights, make a grappling mod with realisic movements and competitive gameplay, but itd be so dry and boring nobody would play it.

edit: to add on to this, i could do this with any mod i liked. toribash isn't unrealistic because of anything hardcoded, it's just because everybody uses underdeveloped toris. that's not a bad thing either, all mods being 100% realistic would be fucking TRASH. boxshu mushu + realism = a ruined mod, abd + realism = a ruined mod, the best way to ruin the community would be to update all existing mods so they use realistic toris (which, again, i'm fully capable of doing - you don't need a toribash next for any of this shit), and force all those into public rooms.

fucking people and their goddamn realism /edit

imo, this suggestion would work best as an extension of controls similar to the current ones. if a system exists where you're able to define the rate, to a certain accuracy, at which a joint extends or contracts relative to a max velocity, it might be helpful to select a joint and drag it. how exactly thats implemented to a turnbased game where you can change the match and turn frames in a satisfying way idk

otherwise it could work in conjunction with a system where you just select a joint and scroll or use up//down controls to set the rate of movement

it doesnt sound like anybody is thinking how this will port over to a turnbased game, or whether its actually faster than, for example, my suggestion right above. not to mention everyone is assuming that tbn will work in a way thats compatible with this. Ive wanted a 10%, 20%... 80%,90%,100% contract, extend, rotate, etc sort of thing for a while, and id love to see that in tbn, but who knows if that's something that's planned
Last edited by pouffy; Jan 9, 2018 at 12:26 AM.
Originally Posted by Pouffy View Post
if i wanted to i could very easily, in just a couple of nights, make a grappling mod with realisic movements and competitive gameplay,

do it pls, i think we will likely enjoy it quite alot
i mean seriously, thats what i was waiting for forever, and many other people aswell ! guaranteed kudos

imo, this suggestion would work best as an extension of controls similar to the current ones. if a system exists where you're able to define the rate, to a certain accuracy, at which a joint extends or contracts relative to a max velocity, it might be helpful to select a joint and drag it.

thats a mess from design standpoint aswell, there should be one system, not a mix of several, and as simple as possible

i urge you guys to throw out the window all the legacy concerns you have and forget what you know about tb, except that it's a turnbased ragdoll fighting game.

forget the legacy controls, i understand that you've got used to it and can not imagine that something might be different, but thats exactly an open mind you should keep, and think from that perspective

if you don't know what IK is and how awesome it is, go download blender3d which is free, and download a rigged model

play around, see for yourself, then when you've seen the concept in action, please come back and feel free to criticize it all you want, but it's completely dumb to try to write off something you have no bloody idea about

try it first, it will take around 10 minutes, and then you will come back here saying " daym! i would have wasted hours in tb trying to do what i did right now in a few seconds "

Ive wanted a 10%, 20%... 80%,90%,100% contract, extend, rotate, etc sort of thing for a while, and id love to see that in tbn, but who knows if that's something that's planned
otherwise it could work in conjunction with a system where you just select a joint and scroll or use up//down controls to set the rate of movement

you are thinking in legacy terms here, thats why you over-complicate it all.

it doesnt sound like anybody is thinking how this will port over to a turnbased game, or whether its actually faster

how exactly thats implemented to a turnbased game where you can change the match and turn frames in a satisfying way idk

err are we talking about turn frames or IK controls?.. there is a way to make the turns streamlined to it's very essence with the concept of variable turn frames based on amount of movement you do, with some finite minimal amount for no movement, to avoid zero frames, which in turn will make the gameplay asummetrical, and prone to sudden changes, even if it will use as you say "most boring anatomic bodies possible" and will introduce a concept of commits which you are likely familiar from the traditional fighting games

if you like, we can talk about it, err probably here aswell
Last edited by snake; Jan 9, 2018 at 12:56 AM.
tell me about aikido