Ranking
Original Post
Community Outreach
Hey,

Something that's been on my mind for a while and that I've been meaning to do is having a conversation with the community about what you all would like and what changes you would want to happen.
We can also address any questions or concerns you might have or general things you want to say to our team to improve our communication.
I feel throughout the years the divide between the players and staff has gotten greater and would like to see the connection between us be improved.
This thread is going to, for a while at least, act as a basis for improving community-staff interaction.

Some things that I personally want to improve on and hope will happen:
- Communication
- Game activity
- Game enjoyability
- Events
Along with anything else that might be brought up in this thread.

Let me explain what I mean by improving communication:
There is a giant divide between staff and players.
I understand how frustrated the community might be with staff over things like not being informed about the clan system change and about prizes on events.
We're staff of this game for the players and we’d like to make this more obvious and visible through our actions, and to make sure everyone feels included.

We get a lot of feedback in the form of backlash and banter.
I want to change that and focus our discussions on what the game needs more.
The staff team will listen to any suggestion brought up and try our best to respond to everything.

Regarding game activity:
We all know that the Toribash has been losing players for a while now.
However, there are usually way more beginners online than there are people on the forums if that is any consolation.
This is why we are planning to move even more events client-side soon.
There have already been some very successful ingame events:
- Free Run Frenzy
- Hole In The Wall
These events have gotten amazing participation from everyone, and we want to do more events like this.
We believe that other events whether competitive, art-related, single-player, etc, will benefit greatly by being advertised and run in the game client.
Our main focus will be events focused on beginners, which will hopefully keep beginner retention up.
There are also some plans to make new items which are accessible to and aimed at beginners.

I'm interested in knowing what the community thinks about this.
For the time being, there will still be events held on the forums but as soon as we can get some dev work done to bring everything to the game client, we'll do that.

Regarding game enjoyability:
This is something that we need your input on, this is your game, and you're playing it.
- What kind of changes do you want to see?
There have been some ideas which could change up the meta a little bit in mods like ABD,TK,JF, and particularly lenshu.

If anyone remembers LesDuncan and what he was doing with TPL, it's sort of similar to the martial arts community now, in the way they've hosted fightnight events and they make new mods.
LesDuncan made a version of ABD in which lifting was still viable, however there are walls and a ceiling that prevented it from being a huge difficulty.
This mod is not perfect, but I would like to see what you all think about it.
In particular, what (if anything) would be required for you to consider it a competitive mod?

About Lenshu:
I believe Kane and fl0w have done an exceptionally good job on their winpoint lenshu mod.
When I mention TPL, this is the kind of mod that I'm imagining.
The running issue has been fixed, and a new feature like winpoints were added.
The communities reception on this event has always been good and in a competitive scene most people prefer this mod to normal lenshu3ng.

I'd like to ask everyone a question: when you play the game does it still feel rewarding?
Do you have anything you want to do in the game still, do you want more purpose?
There are ideas like a free battlepass, just quests for rewards.
Another one that we've had is automated tourneys with different rewards, starts at 10 people in the lobby, could be more TC than usual, or rewards from magicalsack(like an automated etourney but with worse rewards) but like stated previously, we're unsure what we should do.

My vision would be making adjustments to every competitively played mod and hosting events in them.
Just with slight adjustments, the way we play these mods is changed and it makes it more fun.

Regarding events:
Historically, prizes for events have rarely been amazing, and I know that there have been players complaining about prizes not being the best and I agree.
There has been a huge lack of competitive events, excluding clan league and WC, there haven't been any competitive multiplayer events hosted in a while.
There are some events that we're working on right now, and would like to get out soon, I'd just like to see what people have to say about TPL.

Summary:
In conclusion, the things that I want to work on are:
- Staff-Player interaction, keeping the community updated and asking for what the community wants
- More client-side events
- Working on different versions of the main 5 mods, seeing if there's any way to improve the competitive mod-list
- Better prizes and events, more frequent events
- Making the game more fun, adding new features to hopefully improve retention, new goals and a sense of purpose
- Any new content that is possible to do

I want to have a constructive discussion about these topics and address any questions or concerns you might have about anything not mentioned in this thread.
The OP will be updated if there's anything to update, and I hope this discussion will stick around for a while.
Thank you to everyone who spent their time on reading.
And if you want a shiai token, feel free to take this survey or spread it around in your circles
MS survey for the dueling community, feel free to take it for an ST. input is immensely appreciated.
Last edited by ancient; Feb 4, 2022 at 07:12 PM.
pm me your questions or applications

https://i.imgur.com/1GWtVnU.png

dance with my dogs in the night time
cash to burn
Please just spend money on advertising or release TBN.

Toribash doesn't need better public relations, it needs a larger (fresh) player base.
Last edited by Shmevin; Jun 21, 2022 at 07:12 PM.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Originally Posted by Shmevin View Post

Toribash doesn't need better public relations, it needs a larger (fresh) player base.

release toribash on mobile /thread
Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
I've not thought about giving ABD a win-point system, it doesn't seem like too bad of an idea. Though, I feel like most games will be over within 50-80 frames with the wrist point/dm openers, snapkicks, etc. It could be fun to try out though, I'm actually inclined to see how it'd look and might test it out for a month next season.

Please do that...

SEASON 8 - PROBLEMS / SUGGESTIONS

Problems:
- Someone brought up that one problem was waiting in queue for 20 minutes just to lose against a dueler and wait another 20 minutes for another game; Thats over 40 minutes wasted.

- Learning new mods can be a big turn off.

Suggestions:
- Inform the players with the /motd about ranked matchmaking
- Reuse the current mods and just tweak them a bit (how I mentioned it earlier); this way, there are general tutorials for certain mod categories (i.e. striking, kicking, and grappling)
- Make games more fast-paced (lower reaction time) and make everyone's playstyle more aggressive (add 80k - 100k win point) so that matches end faster

====================

INGAME EVENTS SUGGESTION

About events, I recently made a Toribash Puzzle Rush script... I dont know if this could end up being an ingame event with rewards.

https://forum.toribash.com/showthrea...2#post11860522

With that said, there could be players like me who could code a concept for an ingame event and present it to sir. This speeds up the process of conceptualizing an event, coding, etc.

Anyw, back to the script I showed, one possible feature I plan on adding are "hints" in each puzzle. Its basically a button that opens up a tutorial in the forum that talks about a certain topic. The reason why I'm mentioning this is because the script puts players in ingame situations, and being able to solve these puzzles could make new players get better.

Some basic concepts and lost tactics are taught in the three puzzles. (Toribash Puzzle Rush version 1.1)

The first puzzle is in lenshu3ng and the task is to block a kick and be at a point advantage. This puzzle focuses on defense.

The second puzzle is in abd (clap opener vs snapkick) and the task is to dm or fracture the opponent's right glute. This puzzle teaches the player on how to perform effective knee strikes in abd.

As for the third puzzle... uhh... yeah, its a pretty insane TK puzzle where the player needs to get 11k points in 9-10 frames to win. Yes, FRAMES. This teaches the player about thinking differently. I wont mention the proper term of this tactic so that people try to figure things out :^)
Last edited by Karstnator; Jun 22, 2022 at 07:47 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toribash Season 1 Rank 3 | Ex-ES Artist | Ex-Mascot of [Alpha]
CLAN LEAGUE 2019 WINNER
as a torilegend, the fact that I have 0 idea of what you're saying really talks a lot about why toribash needs a huge revamp apart from fixing or tweaking stuff already going on ingame

events are for people who already play the game, I think that although keeping the community you have happy is important it's healthier for a game to have 5 unhappy loyalists and 30 curious newcomers
Unpopular suggestion: Make Karstnator ES :^)

Anyw, here's a suggestion I made:
https://forum.toribash.com/showthrea...5#post11861205

Tried to keep it short and clear

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
CLAN LEAGUE 2019 WINNER
Originally Posted by Shmevin View Post

i had an idea for a tiktok video a while back with the 100 hours experience vs 1000 hours experience format.

the idea was that you show what a black belt player looks like in singleplayer/multiplayer do obvious basic stuff and then show what a master belt player looks like and have a largekilla replay or something with whatever dumb music they have trending play in the background.

ez advertising. i'm surprised no one has actually done a video like that yet.
I think there's some punishments that should be less strict from admins to players, there's been a few instances where I've seen people banned for excessive amounts of time over things that are pretty morally ambiguous as far as rules go and I've seen some people get banned longer just for voicing how salty they are which I personally think is unfair. So maybe a rebalancing rules and enforcing equal punishments instead of doubling down because someone feels sensitive over something.

As far as events go, I know it would be alot of moderation power, but I think different leagues of events could be a good idea, so you don't get stuck losing to the same people over and over in all events, example being white belt to green belt events, brown belt to black belt events, 2nd Dan to 4th Dan, 5th Dan to 10th Dan, etc

But once again I can see moderation being a difficult part of that so maybe rewards can be reflected by it, like all lower belts can join higher ranked events for bigger rewards but higher belts cannot join lower rank events except maybe to be spectator for fun and give positive feedback to new players to encourage them to want to keep playing. And as a result the lower rewards may dishearten some griefers from wanting to ruin everyone's fun

Another way to moderate could be, in order for any player to participate in an event they must do a trial event to test their skills to realistically give them a league to be placed in, which once again could prevent griefers who have a clearly higher skill to other players.

If there's any way I can help with anything someone shoot me a message I've been wanting to spam some random community discords with toribash videos to see if I can attract new players if the community gets the ball rolling on positive changes.
Friends Call me Fuckbad
Its pretty stressful trying to hit God Belt

I suggest giving qi boosters as a prize for events like mod mania :^)

Pretty sad how I wont be fully free on July though

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
CLAN LEAGUE 2019 WINNER
Originally Posted by Alejandro View Post
as a torilegend, the fact that I have 0 idea of what you're saying really talks a lot about why toribash needs a huge revamp apart from fixing or tweaking stuff already going on ingame

events are for people who already play the game, I think that although keeping the community you have happy is important it's healthier for a game to have 5 unhappy loyalists and 30 curious newcomers

the only torilegend on this game is me. not you. me.
Hello everyone.

Right now normally would be Clan League season and the staff team have no problem hosting one, however, in the last few years there's a lack of activity in Clan Leagues, minimal amounts of clans joining and it generally not being the fun team based event that it's known for. Do you as the community believe that you'd have fun in Clan League if it was hosted a bit differently with group stages and matches played before actual knock-out begins, or, do you believe it's not worth hosting at the moment, but something that would definitely be worth hosting as the activity picks up and we gain more clans and players?

Please let me know, I'd like input from clans that participate in Clan League and general community. Hope you're all enjoying the summer, thank you
pm me your questions or applications

https://i.imgur.com/1GWtVnU.png

dance with my dogs in the night time
cash to burn