Ranking
Original Post
Ranking System...
Just out of interest how does it work?.
I've been trying to figure it out, but it loses me completey...

take me, Qegola, and hound for example:

Qegola; Rank 100, Matches-68, Won-28, Lost-40, Ratio-0.70, (161985)
Bloodhound; Rank 193, Matches-54, Won-22, Lost-32, Ratio-0.69, (154285)
[PF]Bloodkitty; Rank 240, Matches-348, Won-154, Lost-194, Ratio-0.79, (146220)

So just how does this work? shouldn't it be done by ratio, cos' its confusinf as heck...
Re: Ranking System...
It uses the ELO rating system. As it says on the page.
The page even comes with a link to the Wikipedia article.

Here it is again, just so you dont have to go fail to search for the rankings page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELO_rating_system
I has a flavour
Ratio might seem like a good idea but it has it drawbacks aswell.

ELO is not perfect but it has been tested and tried for a long time. The alternatives that have come up haven't been that great either.
Originally Posted by slainveteran

Here it is again, just so you dont have to go fail to search for the rankings page:

already read that, it didn't make any sense,
something to do with beating higher ranked players?
---
we need something like;

after 5 matches you get given 50 base points, and there after you get:
='10' points for a win,
='-8' points for a loss,
that would mean players with tonnes of matches will generally have a higher rank than people with 5 or 6 matches.

(because at the moment, there are people with 0 wins and 9 losses at like 200th place.)
The idea behind using the ELO system is because someone who has been playing for 3 months can be ranked the same or higher than someone who has been playing for a year.

If you want to know the specifics of how it works, try googling for ELO algorithms.

It does also mean that you get into the correct position quicker than any other method.
I has a flavour
I kinda see your points. At the time when I was told I was rank 100 (Kitty told me) I wasn't quite sure how it happened.

I know a ladder system won't work. I know a points system won't work too well.

But the ELO system seems to allow players to become high ranking without actually being at all good. I think it would be a better idea to tweak it so bad players stay low in the rankings (I should be around 200, not at the 100 spot).
Q = QUAKER OATS
Three rules of Q - 1. Qegola and Quarantine both start with Q. 2. There is no U in Qegola. 3. Qegola is you new god.

So a man walks into a bar with a monkey. I forgot the rest of the joke but your mom is a whore.
The ELO system has a "fudge factor" which allows you to play with how it works, I believe it is called the K constant or something.

To modify this constant though would probably require you to reset the ranks.
I has a flavour
Originally Posted by bloodkitty
Originally Posted by slainveteran

already read that, it didn't make any sense,
something to do with beating higher ranked players?
---
we need something like;

after 5 matches you get given 50 base points, and there after you get:
='10' points for a win,
='-8' points for a loss,
that would mean players with tonnes of matches will generally have a higher rank than people with 5 or 6 matches.

(because at the moment, there are people with 0 wins and 9 losses at like 200th place.)

The reason people can get a high rank from just a few games is that they get a provinsional ranking of 16000 when they start. For each game they play they move a little bit up or down from that point.

Over time the ranking will be more and more accurate.