ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Overhaul achievments as incentive for ranked
I've been looking at the ranked system, everyone has. The main issue is effort=/=reward. For example, on good days the best players can man anywhere between 200k and 1mil, vs grinding ranked for a whole month to receive the same reward.

At this point being Rank 1 is a joke, you get labeled as a farmer, and often the top ranked players aren't the best players anyway. So what can we do? Well, we lure better players into playing ranked.
Q. What does everyone love?
A. Bragging rights.

Step 1: Redefine Achievments: Old achievments are based on qi as is, leave the collectors achievments(full sets, events, etc) and get rid of the rest. What do we replace them with? Well mod ranks of course. This is how you make mod ranks relevant again. I'll explain that in a second, the point is, the old achievments rewarded rank, the only problem was that rank was based on games played, that is no longer an issue.

Step 2: Differentiate Solutions: So I thought about this for all of 5 minutes, but it stays with my theme. Keep tournaments as competitive as possible, so:

Tournaments
5k(x2) - rank 100-1; 2k Qi min; maxclients=16 CD(20 minutes) knockout disabled so it becomes normal server

2k(x2) - rank 500-100; 500 Qi min/2k Qi max; maxclients = 8 CD(5 minutes) knockout always on

Mod list for tournaments should be the current one, but remove taido2.tbm and add kickbox.tbm

Competitive

Have dedicated room for:
Rk-mma.tbm
Lenshu3ng.tbm
Aikidobigdojo.tbm
Greykido.tbm
Erthtkv2.tbm
Maxclients - 10
And keep the 3 rotating rooms
Maxclients - 8

Min Qi = 500 for all

Step 3: Establish Significance of Achievements:
A. Create Record holders Thread, I.e "Highest elo obtained," "Most wins without losing," Largest win streak,"
"Most unique opponents defeated consecutively." I can think of better records but it's 2am and I'm doing this on my phone. Anyway this creates a sense of long term recognition.

B. Test skill at the end of the month. If someone is rank 1 in a mod, they should deserve it, the 5 mods I chose above to have their own ranked servers, are in my opinion, the 5 most competitive mods in the game.(Although I like Odlov's progress) So what you do is, you hold mini tourneys for the top 4 in each mod every month. The winner gets a plaque(similar to a bounty) under their name in game that says Top (3/2/1) in (Insert mod here).

For example;
Grim, rank 12<go to next line>
Top 2 in AikidoBigDojo (maybe color the words in gold/silver/bronze or blue/red/white(ribbon colors).

Also the top player should say "Top Player" instead of "Top 1".

C. Long term rewards and cycles. Make one cycle 3 months, with ranks resetting every 90 days. So 1 reset per cycle. Give achievments for maintaining the top rank through 1,2,3, or 4 cycles. Have all of the reward tournaments at the end of the cycle. The reset just makes it a bit harder to maintain that rank through a whole cycle.(Having a top rank at the end of 90 days would have to have some significance, I haven't figured it out, but having the title of "Best player in so and so mod" for only 90 days seems lame.

Tell me what you think so far, all my other ideas rely on this one not having major flaws I haven't thought about, so give me some input and I'll see what I can improve on.
Also I understand that the staff is working on this, but it's some food for thought, and you don't need to redo the calculation system, just the formatting.
Last edited by Grim; Jan 13, 2016 at 11:28 AM.
♥Team Aikido-[Obey]-OoT-[Vibe]-Team Pokemon♥
Step 1: Redefine Achievments: Old achievments are based on qi as is, leave the collectors achievments(full sets, events, etc) and get rid of the rest. What do we replace them with? Well mod ranks of course. This is how you make mod ranks relevant again. I'll explain that in a second, the point is, the old achievments rewarded rank, the only problem was that rank was based on games played, that is no longer an issue.

Since you brought the achievements up I'm going to state my opinion of it.
I don't think it's necessary to delete all of the achievements. The collector achievements and event achievements should be kept on forums, and everything else should be removed from the forum achievement list and added into steam instead. Reason being that steam achievements should be related to the game and not the forum, and since many of the forum achievements are broken already efforts should go towards steam.
Considering we don't have that many achievements (currently only qi-related), there is a lot of room and need for innovative achievements.
Belts shouldn't take so much space. Better to make them part of the "achievement progress" steam has. Instead of having an individual achievement for each belt, make white-brown steps for the black belt achievement. Maybe do the same for 5;th dan and 10;th dan, but getting rid of the belt achievements up to black already frees up a lot of clutter.

Step 3: Establish Significance of Achievements:
A. Create Record holders Thread, I.e "Highest elo obtained," "Most wins without losing," Largest win streak,"
"Most unique opponents defeated consecutively." I can think of better records but it's 2am and I'm doing this on my phone. Anyway this creates a sense of long term recognition.

And where would you put this set of records? Forums are the only option as I see it. Could be another sticky in the "book of records" subforum. The problem with this is that it wouldn't reach out to people outside of the forum. It also runs a risk of being abandoned when it stops to be a novelty.

I think mod rotation is important in the ranked servers. Is there really a need to have so many individual ranked servers? Also your mod list is kind of barren. There are many more mods that are suitable for the list, and you never explained why mods like wushu and stabjutsu should be excluded from the list. The current list is pretty good, but even that could be expanded. Don't forget that you need a balance of competition and fun to appeal to a larger base of players.

Tiers I believe have been brought up (by hax?), and that's another good initiative for competing for ranks. For example, it's way cooler to have "Diamond tier: rank 24", rather than just "rank 24" under your name.
Last edited by Lazors; Jan 13, 2016 at 12:25 PM.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
There's definetely room for changes in my mod rotation idea, it wasn't really the main focus of this. I just like the idea of giving recognition for "best in whatever mod." Also the record idea could be heavily altered, I was thinking of having it alongside the book of records like you said, but the main idea is integrating the achievments into the ranked system since current achievments are completely outdated.
-----
Originally Posted by Lazors View Post
Since you brought the achievements up I'm going to state my opinion of it.
I don't think it's necessary to delete all of the achievements. The collector achievements and event achievements should be kept on forums, and everything else should be removed from the forum achievement list and added into steam instead. Reason being that steam achievements should be related to the game and not the forum, and since many of the forum achievements are broken already efforts should go towards steam.
Considering we don't have that many achievements (currently only qi-related), there is a lot of room and need for innovative achievements.
Belts shouldn't take so much space. Better to make them part of the "achievement progress" steam has. Instead of having an individual achievement for each belt, make white-brown steps for the black belt achievement. Maybe do the same for 5;th dan and 10;th dan, but getting rid of the belt achievements up to black already frees up a lot of cluttter.

Tiers I believe have been brought up (by hax?), and that's another good initiative for competing for ranks. For example, it's way cooler to have "Diamond tier: rank 24", rather than just "rank 24" under your name.

I completely agree with your point about achievements, I'm just trying to find a way to further seperate the rank system instead of lumping everything into global rank.

I actually think the tier list could fix the dilemma I was having with having Brown belts and custom belts in the same server. But that would mean tiers are qi based which ruins the point. I kind of think tiers add unnecessary complications if you have too many.
Last edited by Grim; Jan 13, 2016 at 12:56 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
well not everyone uses the steam version,so its not good to remove them completely from the forum,they should just be fixed by adding the newest versions of the correct mods to the correct achievement,fix the reset interval,and like i have already suggested add new achievements:
10000 wins achievement
ninjutsu
lenshu
kickbox 1000 wins achievements.
also add 100 wins achievement for all the mods that already have 1000 wins achievement,
never understood why it exists only for jousting (green thump,green fingers)

as for bragging rights,reintroduce mod ranks (hi lazors xp )
Last edited by nikosefs; Jan 13, 2016 at 02:14 PM.
I like the whole idea, but I'm in school on my phone so I'll have to keep it short I can say more when I get home, but this is what I have to say for now.

I think one thing about this is as always this will bring about issues with people doing cheap tricks to win. Not that it is a problem with the players like me good with counters and then the other good players.

Then whatever cheap tricks are in other mods like point holds in lenshu.

It's not that people don't already do this, but there might be more doing it.

One thing I'd say though is that it eould be great for a challenge I for sure will support this idea.
Originally Posted by nikosefs View Post
well not everyone uses the steam version,so its not good to remove them completely from the forum,they should just be fixed by adding the newest versions of the correct mods to the correct achievement,fix the reset interval,and like i have already suggested add new achievements:

Fixing the achievements is like trying to revive a dead dog. It should be fixed, yes, but I don't think it should take priority of the steam achievements. Whether it should be fixed and if yes, when it should be fixed depends on how much we pray to (read:nag) the devities to get it done.

10000 wins achievement
ninjutsu
lenshu
kickbox 1000 wins achievements.
also add 100 wins achievement for all the mods that already have 1000 wins achievement,
never understood why it exists only for jousting (green thump,green fingers)

This is just going to clutter up the list. Instead, use the categories we have already:
Striking - 1000 wins achievement
Grappling - 1000 wins
Kicking - 1000 wins
These should also scale by using the steam "progress bar". I'd suggest values of 10 wins/100 wins/300 wins/500 wins/1000 wins (each one representing one step of the progress bar). The 10 wins might seem ridiculous, but it's to introduce newer players to the concept.
I'm sure this can be done for the forums too, if necessary. More smaller categories like boxing or jousting can be added to the list, on a smaller scale (eg. 10 wins/100 wins/300 wins).

Rank related achievements should follow the same format
Global rank 500/300/100/10/1
Striking (counting the mod rank of any striking mod) rank 500/100/1
Kicking rank 500/100/1
(optional smaller mods) rank 100/10/1

as for bragging rights,reintroduce mod ranks (hi lazors xp )

Absolutely, I'm in no way opposed to this. I'm just careful about which mods this should apply to. Even if I'm opposed to having mod ranks for certain mods, I'm convinced achievements are suitable for any functional mod. I might even go with having mod rank for less competitive mods as soon as we get matchmake (so that we don't clutter the mod list).

Originally Posted by Grim
But that would mean tiers are qi based which ruins the point. I kind of think tiers add unnecessary complications if you have too many.

What do you mean? Tiers are based off of rank, not QI. They don't have to be used to separate players, they could be used just as a fancy name plate.
Last edited by Lazors; Jan 13, 2016 at 06:47 PM.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
I know what you and whoever mentioned it meant the tiers to be based on rank. I just rambled off trying to think of a way to separate players.
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
I know what you and whoever mentioned it meant the tiers to be based on rank. I just rambled off trying to think of a way to separate players.

I think what you meant is the current rank achievements has to do with what belt you are, ranked with other people of same belt.