Ranking
Original Post
CPU Overheats and Shuts Off, Solutions?
This has been happening about 4 times a day, mostly when I play Toribash or just some small internet game; (I am switching the quality to low every time I play, and turning off effects, still no help). I am thinking about buying a better graphics card, but I am not sure if that will fix the problem. Will a better card help it? Or do I need a computer intercooler? What do I need to buy to solve this?
I have left Toribash, but will drop in occasionally on the forums and IRC. Still in Sigma.
there are about 1000 reasons your pc could overheat.

Usually prolonged periods of leaving it on and having too many applications open.
ICOF Co-Founder/Leader. "Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head." - Euripedes
Well exclude the "too many applications" for me, cause my cpu isn't able to take many apps at once, so I don't pull up many. I'll probably take it apart, might be dirty on the inside, but still. It's the games that shut it off, it's working it too hard supposedly.
I have left Toribash, but will drop in occasionally on the forums and IRC. Still in Sigma.
it might gelp to ground yourself (touch the metal part of the case on the PC) then, open the case and use a can of compressed air to remove dust .etc.
Or get a new CPU fan.

What do you mean by PC shuts off. A blue screen, then restarts or Blam... it goes off.

Also, check your power cables
probably a problem with your fan. get it looked at, perhaps a professional can fix it.
^garblejfidlssja beflijfdsl baeufkh dsjlinuefjdsl
Originally Posted by timmychan View Post
it might gelp to ground yourself (touch the metal part of the case on the PC) then, open the case and use a can of compressed air to remove dust .etc.
Or get a new CPU fan.

What do you mean by PC shuts off. A blue screen, then restarts or Blam... it goes off.

Also, check your power cables

Yep, it just blam, shuts off without warning. Power cables are fine. I'll try to remove the dust, there is probably a bunch. I might need more RAM, too.
normally it depends on your PC specs, if its running vista, then have 2gbs+ of RAM
I had the same problem. There's like three ways you can solve it:

1) Make sure your cpu-fan isn't full of dust.
2) Buy a new fan.
3) Download a program like riva tuner and set your fans on 100% power. They're usually on 25% or so.

Also I lol'd at some worthless posts in here.

edit: Oh, also buying a new graphic card won't fix the problem. CPU overheat isn't the same as core/gfx overheat. Get your facts right and check what's really causing the problem. Is the graphic card getting too warm or the CPU?
Last edited by Galrath; Feb 2, 2009 at 03:10 PM.
♠NO♠
1 Get a better fan

2 move to canada

3 dont let direct sunlight on it

4 dont leave your towels on it

5 dont fap on it
Fonzie be with you.