Toribash
Originally Posted by victortb View Post
Sick stuff, Jobo. Y'all tough.

So, why is shotokan karate so bad compared to kyokshin?

I don't know much (anything) about Kyokushin karate, but in Shotokan they separate you whenever a point is scored. More like fencing than a fight. It encourages a blitz-style strategy where you jump in to score the point, knowing you're safe afterwards because the referee will separate you. It doesn't really translate very well to continuous fighting sports like boxing or kickboxing and isn't effective for self-defence. It was good for fitness and balance when I was young though, meant that I picked up kickboxing quicker than I otherwise would have done.

The main problem with Shotokan was that you only ever practiced against people who were also fighting with the same style. I totally would have frozen up if someone started swinging haymakers at me.
one time i had a hair deep in my urethra and when i pulled it out it felt kinda good ~fudgiebalz 2020

<~Skul> they're not children, they're demon midgets
<~Skul> if you kill one in front of the rest, they'll scatter and leave
Originally Posted by victortb View Post
Sick stuff, Jobo. Y'all tough.

So, why is shotokan karate so bad compared to kyokshin?

Kyokushin is a full contact striking sport, meaning elbows and knees are allowed. The goal is to knock out the opponent as opposed to scoring points like in shotokan. In competition, you are not supposed to wear any protection(no gloves or shin protectors), just a gi. The only catch is that you can't punch people in the face. It teaches you the universal staples of standup fighting - the straight punch, the low/high kick and the knee. That knowledge can be easily transfered to other striking sports such as kickboxing or muay thai if you wish to expand your arsenal of styles.

For reference