Ranking
read it and sounds really fun..i can't contribute much to ideas or critique without more specific information, but well you seem to got the game thought out pretty damn well.
Your messed up world enthrills me
Thank you. I had lot of time to think about it laying in the hospital with my broken back.
I spent all that time to write stuff, brainstorm and draw, because I had nothing else to do.

I remember that sister lend a book about Bruce Lee from a friend from her job, so I read it in one pass, than again, and again. It was like a good motivation speech, I didn't know he also fucked up his back and they told him that he will never do his kung fu like before, and no high kicks and stuff.
But, he proved them all wrong, returning from his retirement even more fit and dangerous! :}
That was very good read indeed. And while reading it I got this idea. TTCG was still fresh in my memory so I started to think how would that card fighting game look if the approach to it would be more realistic, and with real wushu styles and moves, and RPG, and open world, and more of everything!
I've thought through 'engine' of the game in a matter of 24 h, than played it in my mind, thinking about situations and resolves. I can't tell you how good for recovery is when your mind is busy with ideas and you are solving problems and stuff, making a game...

I know there will be problems with balance, but that's why we will test-play it and polish the things that doesn't work.
I'm always open to suggestions, and there will be changes in the 'engine' for sure. If we work on it together we will do it right, because few heads are smarter than one. You may find solution to some problem where I didn't, and stuff like that...

Anyway, I took some time to write rules of the game, and I'm very much surprised that they fit on 4 pages! XD I thought, it was much, much, more complex. And it is, because, rules are simple, but when things start to interact with each-other, then it gets complicated! Cool.
-----
Ok! Time to show you how the cards look!

For this example I took one of the cards from the basic deck (that is the starting deck every player will get at the beginning of the game)
This deck is consistent of 10 cards. It has: 2 punch cards (with different strengths and locations of attack), 2 kick cards (also with different strengths and locations of attack), 2 counter-attack cards (one is punch, other is kick), 2 blocks, 1 dodge and 1 grab.

All these cards are basic moves, with not that good characteristics (low damage, or modification (or, like I called them: MODIFICATORS, yeah I don't know how to spell).

Basic deck is basic, it will help you against low level NPCs, and other players, so your ass won't get kicked all the time, but as you progress and level up, these cards won't cut it against harder opponents (those with wushu styles cards).

Anyway, here is a quick preview of all variables and writings you can see on the attacking card:

Name of the move - its self-explanatory, every move has some name etc...

Attack Modificator - it is used to calculate card vs card resolve, together with speed points of the player's character. In this example attack modificator has 3 points.

Precision Modificator - is used to calculate will the attack land on designated target on the body, together with your focus and speed characteristics, and some luck off course...

Power output table - It is set in the lower part of the card, as you can see it has three strengths: low, medium and full. If your attack is blocked you will do low damage (only 20 HP will be removed from the HP pool of your opponent, although this also depends of his endurance points), medium damage you will do if your opponent managed to dis-balance your attack by some of his other cards, full damage is dealt if your opponent didn't manage to block it.

Image of the move/stance - its self-explanatory...

Counter Sign - some attack cards have this sign, meaning they can be used also for counter-attacking. Counter-attack usually happens when you successfully manage to block the attack of your opponent (so if you have a counter in your dealt hand you can use it immediately and deal full damage)
[btw, this card in reality isn't counter-attack card, I just put the sign so you will know how it looks when its written on true counter-attack cards]

Important limbs - on every image of the move/stance there will be a number of limb that are important for execution of the move itself, when they are not injured attack card used can be successful 100%, but if one, or more of this limbs are damaged, your attack strength will be lower then usual, or you won't be able to use the card (move) at all!

High (writing) - this writing has two options: high or low, it tells what part of the opponents body you can target with this attack. On this example you can punch upper part of the opponents body (everything above the waist). So, with this card you can't hit your opponent in stomach area, for instance. Every attack card has this writing. Only if the GRAB is executed successfully, you will be able to hit even lower part of the body with this card.

So, now you know how attacking cards look like and what kind of variables are used on them.
Last edited by 8OJ4N; May 28, 2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Originally Posted by 8OJ4N View Post
High (writing) - this writing has two options: high or low, it tells what part of the opponents body you can target with this attack. On this example you can punch upper part of the opponents body (everything above the waist). So, with this card you can't hit your opponent in stomach area, for instance. Every attack card has this writing. Only if the GRAB is executed successfully, you will be able to hit even lower part of the body with this card.

So, now you know how attacking cards look like and what kind of variables are used on them.

Minor thing but; Jumps? It's in some MAs a way to avoid low kicks, yet how would that interact with a high punch? Or lets say a sidewise shoulder/ribcage kick? (Balance is the part I had in mind)
Now doing recoloring for people not in the clan as-well, PM for more info!
PROUD OWNER OF THORN'S GOOD ENOUGH WRITER AWARD!
You probably didn't noticed due to these wall of text I post here, but there are 5 card types: ATTACK, COUNTER-ATTACK (which is same as attack but with additional option to use it to counter), BLOCK, GRAB and DODGE card.

This last one, DODGE card, is covering all that about jumping up, or sideways, or ducking, swaying, etc. DODGE is basically any move that you do to get from the harms way of the attack.

While blocking an attack can still cost you of losing some of your HP, dodge will always save you from damage. Well, almost always, since you can fail to dodge.

Thus, jumping = dodging in this game.

Anyway, some more news about RPG part of the game:

There will be seven dojos marked on the map where you can travel and learn different styles:

Flow Dojo (yes, our own dojo, since this game is ours) with two NPC wushu masters:
Princess Naira and FL-0-W (that robot of ours with soul of long time dead wushu master inside)

Princess Naira will teach Wing Chun style, and FL-0-W will teach Hung Ga style.
10 cards for Wing Chun and 10 cards for Hung Ga, with option to win additional special cards of these styles (three of each style) that are more powerful secret moves.

When you finish teaching of these styles you have an option to challenge your master (Princess Naira or FL-0-W) to sparing match. If you win, you get to choose one special card, if you lose - nothing. And don't worry, you can't be killed in these fights with our masters. Broken - yes, but killed - no. :}

Next dojo is called Twilight Dojo, and its under master Nigh. This is were you will be able to learn Longquan or, also know as, Dragon Fist.

Than we have Green Pebble Dojo (it's by the river :}) under master Kamiko, teaching Shequan also know as Snake Fist.

In the mountains there is old temple that is also a dojo, called: Lonesome Tiger Dojo, under master NutHug, where you can teach Fu Jow Pai, also know as Tiger Claw.

If your travel brings you to the city of Dargon, you might go to their 'tavern district' where you can find master Shin-Ryu, who will, if you pay him few drinks, be glad to share with you his knowledge of Drunken Monkey style.

And, there is a temple in the Hampus City, at the center of ToriWorld, where you can learn Fujian White Crane under master Ishi.

Beside this 7 places where you can freely learn wushu styles, there are also a number of secret places and masters, where, if you manage to find them, you will be able to learn some different styles, or variations of the mentioned styles, but with cards that will be much more powerful (special cards). These masters will not teach you for free, and you will have to first prove yourselves by doing some quest they give you. But, it will be worth it!

I'm still working on the list of secret styles...
-----
Oh, almost forgot, here are the rules and resolves for cards:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/kq...ame_Rules.docx
Last edited by 8OJ4N; May 29, 2013 at 12:38 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hung_Ga

I just follow wiki. :}
Anyway, after I finish basic cards and post the Example fight with them, (and map is already finished), well, I can announce open beta testing of the game!
-----
I then suggest that those who wish to participate, build their character charts (I'll put a form how to do it, don't worry).
Last edited by 8OJ4N; May 29, 2013 at 12:50 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Well, I still need to post three things:

- MAP
- modified INJURE CHART with explanation about how injuries work
- CHARACTER FORM

Then goes promo-banner and beta-testing...
Ok, so now we have a MAP, and here is the reworked injure chart:

As you can see I abandoned the percentage values and used points. This is how much points you have to gather when you target some specific body part with the attack card

If you remember calculation goes like this:

(Player's FOCUS x 10) + (Player's SPEED/2 x 10) +/- (15 points of LUCK) + (ATTACK card PRECISION modifier) = points of targeted damage.

For example, here what happens when some character with SPEED 4, FOCUS 4 and ATTACK card with Precision 3 tries to hit the head of his opponent:

(4 x 10) + (4/2 x 10) +/- 15 (randomly selected) + (3 x 10) = 105 (if he was lucky)

105 > 75, so he managed to hit the head. Also 105 - 75 = 30 which is more than enough to bruise the eyes, nose or mouth, and open wound.
If the card has full damage that is 100 or more HP, then injured part would suffer critical damage (gouged eyes, broken nose, broken teeth)... Scary stuff. Some wushu master would probably with one precise hit finish his combat with you.

Also, bruises are nothing, but bleeding from open wound will take additional -10 HP at the end of every turn. While strained muscle will take -20 HP, broken bone -30 HP, and internal bleeding -50 HP.

When your HP is lower or equal 30, you get unconscious. If it goes to zero you are DEAD.

So, watch out out there when you have an option to end the fight before it's too late. Remember that you have only ONE LIFE.
Well, it's ToriWorld after all, you have a second chance, don't worry.

Ok, only thing now is left to post character creation form and I can promote the game to the rest of the community. So we can start beta-testing.

During the testing, I'll slowly add rest of the cards (wushu styles), and things will get interesting.