Toribash
Original Post
[PigeonHive]
The Discovery
Whilst sitting on a bench in Southend High St., I couldn't help but notice that when a pigeon located a morsel of food, pigeons from miles around would flock to this food. Under normal circumstances, this would not be unusual, but these pigeons came from far away from around the corner upwind of the food, meaning there was absolutely no way they could have known about it. This has lead to a conclusion that pigeons are from a hive.

The Experiment
I decided to do an experiment with city and woodpigeons. The first experiment was in my back garden with breadcrumbs. I waited until one pigeon was in the garden with no other pigeons in sight. I then proceeded to sprinkle breadcrumbs over the land. The pigeon tucked in. Almost instantly, a pigeon appeared from roughly three gardens down. Over a space of two minutes, three more pigeons came to the garden. None of them had called out, and I had been totally stealthy in my sprinkling.

The next experiment was carried out at Southend Seafront, with a chip and a paper cup. I began by placing the chip on the ground, ensuring no pigeons could see. I then placed the cup over the chip and waited. Soon a pigeon came and poked the cup, which fell over, revealing the chip. No sooner had the chip been discovered, then a huge swarm of pigeons flew in, in a classic pigeony blob. There was no way these pigeons could have known about this chip, unless they were a single consciousness.

The conclusion
I now believe without a shadow of a doubt that pigeons are of one mind, and are lead by a single hive pigeon with incredible psychic ability, whose name is Mr Pigeon. I also believe that pigeons are not of this world, and are, in fact an alien entity, in line with all good conspiracy theories. I do not believe that they pose a threat to mankind, but they should be treated with caution in a laboratory far away, as a single mind can be a powerful thing.
There is one other theory that I have about their purpose. They may in fact be a small scout force of the hive mind sent to discover things such as our defense capabilities, and food quality. They may be paving the way either for an invasion, or an inspection from the Health & Safety Inspector of the Galaxy. In either case, may God help us all.

__________________________________________________ ______________

Since my alarming discovery in my article The Pigeon Hive , I have been studying these remarkable creatures for some time. I have discovered that pigeons have a hierarchy similar to that of the common ant. I have observed five different types of behavior patterns of the pigeon in this close knit community. So far, I have discovered evidence of scouts, drones, warriors, node pigeons and have managed to get close to the pigeon queen herself. I am learning something new each day, and new reports will be posted soon

Scouts
Scouts are small and sleek in appearance and are usually colored brown. The role of the scout is to explore the surrounding areas, locate food deposits and transfer this information back to the hive. This information is then used by the drones in the harvest. On average, the scouting process will last roughly 1 hour. Once the scout has succeeded in locating food, it will either hyper-evolve into a drone or return to the hive and enter a form of stasis that will last roughly 20-21 hours to recover their strength after scouting. once they have finished hibernating, they will continue scouting

Drones
Drones are the standard and most numerous members of the hive. They look like normal everyday pigeons that you would see on the highstreet. Their job is to collect food and materials to maintain the hive and feed the queen. This process is referred to as "The Harvest" and can go on for up to 72 hours. Drones share a similar genetic makeup to Warriors, and it has been speculated that the warrior is a mutation of the drone.

Warriors
Warriors are slightly larger than the standard pigeon drone. The can also be identified by their puffy necks. They are normally dark blue or jet black, and are extremely aggressive towards threats to the hive. Their role in the hive is to protect important pigeons, such as drones that are out harvesting, and attack any outside threats e.g. toddlers with big boots. This is normally carried out via a "Bombing Run", although I have observed them attack with beak and claw in extreme circumstances. It has been rumored that deep within the hive there are specially mutated "Praetorian" warriors with thicker armor that protect the queen, but I have not found any evidence to back up this theory.

Node Pigeons
Node pigeons are the amplifiers of the hive mind. They will boost the subconscious signal of the hive mind by up to 200%. This allows pigeons within this area of influence to receive a stronger signal and work up to 50% faster and up to 65% more efficiently. Node pigeons are physically weaker than other pigeon types, but compensate with more feathers. It is important that they are not easily distinguishable among the lesser pigeons, otherwise they would draw more attention from predators. Node pigeons can normally be seen sitting buildings or in trees, watching a harvest but not joining in.

Hive Queen
Without a doubt, the most important member of the hive are the queens. They are responsible for issuing psychic orders to the pigeons under their command. They are also responsible for spawning new pigeons to serve the hive. Queens are 8 times bigger that an average drone, and are incredibly bloated. They can lay up to 50,000 eggs per day. Normally the queens are docile, but if the nest is threatened, they will guard it with their life.
Last edited by TomPaine; Dec 24, 2010 at 07:00 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
PigeonHive Flap Buzz