Toribash
Original Post
Increasing maxcontacts in official servers
How bout' increasing maxcontacts in official servers? (for example to 15-20)

because it's useless and you sometimes lose even if you deserve the win which is kind of annoying aswell (mostly for new players bcoz they don't know how to counter it)

and by official servers i mean public6, qa servers and public3
Last edited by Jaker197; Feb 20, 2017 at 12:38 PM.
If things are still the same from when I was GM, if you find a server where you hit the max contacts limit, find a staff member in the #support irc and tell them about it, or PM one so they can change it when the come online.

Originally Posted by Kore View Post
If things are still the same from when I was GM, if you find a server where you hit the max contacts limit, find a staff member in the #support irc and tell them about it, or PM one so they can change it when the come online.

So like, changing general server settings (what I assume is the idea of this thread) is worse than having ES members change maxcontacts each time you go online?

I have no idea why we still use 8 as a default value for maxcontacts. Would definitely make sense to change it for any new room you create, so unless there's some reason hampa can't do that it's going to be changed soon. Quick aikido rooms seem to already have it set to 16 by default though.
Quick aikido rooms seem to already have it set to 16 by default though.

oh alright...didn't notice that because that bug happened sometimes there too
Wouldn't it be easier to just add it to the mods that have specific issues with it? That'd cover public rooms too.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Why don't we just remove this whole "max contacts" thing? What purpose does it serve, other than when you cuddle fuck your opponent too tightly, they don't DQ? I have been wondering about this for years now.
It's to prevent lag. Especially a few years back when computer standards weren't as high as they are now.
when computer standards weren't as high as they are now.

well, some players like mine will have that issue then...because my computer doesn't have high spec
Yeah, but that seems like a problem of the past. Standard grade computer components can definitely handle 50+ spheres making contact. The gameplay shouldn't be negatively effected to appreciate those with lower computer specs. I had a shitty laptop for years, and just dealt with 30 fps. Again, I am fairly certain that most modern computers can handle a bunch of spheres touching each other, and that slight optimization probably doesn't help much now anyways.
Hmmm, it's a physics engine thing.

Basically the lower it's set to then the faster it can handle physics; higher is obviously slower but in the case of TB you get more reliable collision detection.

However MP physics are all handled by the server, so having silly high max contacts on them will make a match more reliable at detecting a collision - but the added load of having every room will high max contacts will in turn make the rooms more likely to crap out.

That's why IMO mods should be given a poke on a case by case basis - after all it's mostly aikido/sambo high gravity mods that are affected, whereas it'd be a waste to put it on TK, Judo etc.

That way mods that need it become more reliable, and the additional strain is far lower.

Y'all seem to like getting pizzas delivered by air planes yo. ;)

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you