ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Steam for Linux
Hello, as you know Valve recently released 'Steam' for Mac!
and according to this.
Mac OS X is based upon the Mach kernel.[11] Certain parts from FreeBSD's and NetBSD's implementation of Unix were incorporated in Nextstep
Mac is very similar to Linux!
if they did invest to Macintosh they're halfway to Linux so question is, will they port it?
discuss
Why port it? Most steam stuff runs perfectly fine under WINE & they know it.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
but seeing as a lot of linux users do use it to get away from generic, virus ridden os', why then emulate one? many linux users would love a local Synaptics (i dunno if thats on everyone, its on ubuntu) package of steam
SKulfuk there is some truth in yours words.
but what you would choose? emulating under wine or native client?
ofcourse native client without wine layer would be faster!
The video games I ran in WINE when I had Ubuntu ran oddly. Granted, they worked, and individual results vary, but the difference was noticeable in frame rate and over all smoothness.

It would be sweet if they did, but if they can't make a decent profit off of it I don't see it being something they rush to get done :/. And yeah, if Linux users can already run most of their stuff they probably won't see any point in the investment.
Organisation of Awesome: Member.
well, i think they would make a fairly big profit, as people (around where i live, anyways) see linux as a low specs, free alternative to windows. so basically, they dont have the specs to run them through wine, and they get it cause its free, but i think they'd get steam
Deady they dont need to invest much!
they already did by porting to mac...
as i said Linux is very similar to mac
EDIT: Why was thread moved?
if move then computer chat because its more about linux than games!
Last edited by 931bw; May 25, 2010 at 08:08 PM.
I have no speed difference between running on Windows or Wine. It's all down to how you config WINE.

TB is a fine example of WINE vs native, the game runs faster in WINE.

There's no real point in a release of Steam, the game library would be too small & looking at the huge performance drop the Mac version has people would stick to using WINE just because it's faster.

As a final nail in the coffin Linux doesn't have the best reputation for people investing money in games, why pay for what you can get free?

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you