Ranking
Original Post
[Art]Watercolor Vignette

1600x1200

I was supposed to work on hot press rather than cold press, but unfortunately our art supply sux.

This was my first watercolor painting. Final draft for an upcoming project. This was to practice wet into dry and wet into wet techniques.We were expected to select an artist and interpret his/her style in our own; I chose Burton Silverman. Because I'm unfamiliar with watercolor, I did have some help from the teacher, however most of it was done by me.The hair, background and ear were incomplete. I need to know how to improve before proceeding onto the final work, that's why I expect solid criticism please
I'm back and stuff, it's probably temporary.
tbh:
im useless at watercolours, like really, completely hopeless, so i cant provide much on technique... but i think that looks great, the background looks like you spilled a cup of tea and rubbed your elbow all over the page though, but love the open space in the foreground.
shadows and light on the face is excellent, which is appropriate cus the most fitting quote i can find on his art is "the landscape of the human face." so cudos for that.

now, the main issue is, i dont see much relation to his work at all, his watercolour paintings are relatively unknown, if not for the one word in the wiki, i would not have known he did watercolour.
it seems alot more art nouveau / modern art / portrait rather than his classical portrait style.
what made you do it like this or what piece of his did you use as inspiration?

i do agree though that he has some excellent works, and has subtle and small differences to make quite dramatic changes.
the way he created the focal here, is brilliant, just enough detail, that when you concentrate on the face, the rest of the body looks complete
http://www.burtonsilverman.com/WebPa...ngForSpike.htm
thanks for introducing me to this guys work, the emotions he captures are spectacular
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
tbh:
im useless at watercolours, like really, completely hopeless, so i cant provide much on technique... but i think that looks great, the background looks like you spilled a cup of tea and rubbed your elbow all over the page though, but love the open space in the foreground.
shadows and light on the face is excellent, which is appropriate cus the most fitting quote i can find on his art is "the landscape of the human face." so cudos for that.

now, the main issue is, i dont see much relation to his work at all, his watercolour paintings are relatively unknown, if not for the one word in the wiki, i would not have known he did watercolour.
it seems alot more art nouveau / modern art / portrait rather than his classical portrait style.
what made you do it like this or what piece of his did you use as inspiration?

i do agree though that he has some excellent works, and has subtle and small differences to make quite dramatic changes.
the way he created the focal here, is brilliant, just enough detail, that when you concentrate on the face, the rest of the body looks complete
http://www.burtonsilverman.com/WebPa...ngForSpike.htm
thanks for introducing me to this guys work, the emotions he captures are spectacular

o right reference

Burton Silverman painted this

Painted in 1981 when John Lennon visited New York.

I had to work off of this. However, I did have a black and white copy so it was hard to interpret the colors. Because this was my first watercolor painting, I did have to work off of some sort of artwork. But as for my final painting I'm going to paint my motha
I'm back and stuff, it's probably temporary.