Ranking
Original Post
Multiple threads,tags,navigation,rules,post reason...(forum ideas)
1) More than 1 thread that servers the same purpose:

I got to thinking some boards don't allow 2 or more threads to be open at the same time sooo.... why not have this... for the boards that don't allow it, just have this, so when you have thread 1 open, and you open thread 2, thread 1 will close automatically so no more getting infracted for having more than one thread open at a time that serves the same purpose.

2) Tags:

Most boards require a tag right? So instead of just letting people make the foolish mistake of forgetting to add the tag, why not just have a mandatory tab that has a list of all the tags, and it won't let you open the thread without choosing one, so this will insure that people won't forget to add a tag. no more getting infracted for not having a tag.

3) Reasons for post:

So I myself am a talker, I just am, I like to say my mind, and what i am thinking, so i usually get infracted for "useless posts" because i don't really think about what i'm posting so here is the idea...
You have to choose why you are posting your "response" so and it would be a tab at the bottom of the screen, and the forum wont let you post your reply if you don't choose. For instance "question" "chat" "debate" "rant" etc. it would make the user have to choose their reason for the post, so when they get infracted for their nonsense... they acknowledged what they were posting by choosing the reason.

4) Favorites/quick jump:

I know its already a thing but id like to see it more well put together so what this is for each board there should be a little checkbox so you can add it to you list of sorts for easy surfing of the forums so instead of clicking here and there through a huge mass amounts of pages to find your thread or board you are looking for you can just go to a new tab at the top of the screen and choose it and you will be taken to it.

5) Must read tut/instruction:

so this would mainly be for forum noobs who are brand new to the tb forums...

You know how all the rules are spread out across all the boards and they aren't always popping out at you?...

So my idea is this when you first hop on the forums and log in you are introduced with a pop up/notification it basically would give you a step by step tutorial on how to navigate the forums, and you would have to read the general rules before you can go off and browse the forums, and everytime you go to a new board or subforum if there are rules that are specific to that board of subforum you are addressed with them, and to make the notification go away you have to click a checkbox that says you understand the rules and promise not to break them, and if you do so you understand you will be punished accordingly.

All in all these are my ideas they are mainly just to help improve the forum experience and to help out the moderators and make their job easier (you guys are already perfect *smiley wink*)

,KDigityDog
Last edited by KDigityDog; Jul 19, 2015 at 03:03 AM. Reason: clarification, and clean up
|Jacklox2| |Frost| |MrBeany| |Nugget| |Sheetboy| xFIRExGAME |
Originally Posted by KDigityDog View Post

I got to thinking some boards don't allow 2 or more threads to be open at the same time sooo.... why not have this... for the boards that don't allow it, just have this, so when you have thread 1 open, and you open thread 2, thread 1 will close automatically so no more getting infracted for having more than one thread open at a time that serves the same purpose.

Skeptical about how helpful this would actually be, and I'm pretty sure that (although it really wouldn't be exceptionally hard), it doesn't seem that it would really be worth the code.

2) Tags:

Most boards require a tag right? So instead of just letting people make the foolish mistake of forgetting to add the tag, why not just have a mandatory tab that has a list of all the tags, and it won't let you open the thread without choosing one, so this will insure that people won't forget to add a tag. no more getting infracted for not having a tag.

I agree not so much because tags should be mandatory but that it was definitely intended for tags to be consistent, but it turned out to be a tiny bit more complicated than you'd expect.

3) Reasons for post:

So I myself am a talker, I just am, I like to say my mind, and what i am thinking, so i usually get infracted for "useless posts" because i don't really think about what i'm posting so here is the idea...
You have to choose why you are posting your "response" so and it would be a tab at the bottom of the screen, and the forum wont let you post your reply if you don't choose. For instance "question" "chat" "debate" "rant" etc. it would make the user have to choose their reason for the post, so when they get infracted for their nonsense... they acknowledged what they were posting by choosing the reason.

Problematic, since there'll always be a response that's valid that doesn't neatly fit into some assigned category. It'd also probably end up just being wasted metadata that clutters the servers, and it'd just make it take one more step to post. Might improve post quality, but at a definite cost of user experience.

Would you really like to need to click two more times before posting? It does seem like much, but if you don't you get an angry pop-up saying "You need to select a reason for your post!"... I'd rather not, personally.

4) Favorites/quick jump:

I know its already a thing but id like to see it more well put together so what this is for each board there should be a little checkbox so you can add it to you list of sorts for easy surfing of the forums so instead of clicking here and there through a huge mass amounts of pages to find your thread or board you are looking for you can just go to a new tab at the top of the screen and choose it and you will be taken to it.

...doesn't vBulletin already have this?
http://forum.toribash.com/subscripti...ewsubscription

Just subscribe to threads and it's almost like having a private board of your very own that has only the threads you want in it!

You know how all the rules are spread out across all the boards and they aren't always popping out at you?...

So my idea is this when you first hop on the forums and log in you are introduced with a pop up/notification it basically would give you a step by step tutorial on how to navigate the forums, and you would have to read the general rules before you can go off and browse the forums, and everytime you go to a new board or subforum if there are rules that are specific to that board of subforum you are addressed with them, and to make the notification go away you have to click a checkbox that says you understand the rules and promise not to break them, and if you do so you understand you will be punished accordingly.

The thing is that if popups or whatever egregiously annoying method of making people visually notice the rules are overdone, they'll be ignored even more readily than they already are. The last thing we want is for people's ad-blockers to block the rules because of how they were presented, and this is leaning towards "too much like pop-up ads for anyone's taste", even if they're important. No thanks.

I won't disagree that having a way to ensure people read the rules is a good thing, but shoving them in people's faces probably isn't the way.
Squad Squad Squad lead?
The standardization of Toribash Squad roles may have gone too far!

The thing is that if popups or whatever egregiously annoying method of making people visually notice the rules are overdone, they'll be ignored even more readily than they already are. The last thing we want is for people's ad-blockers to block the rules because of how they were presented, and this is leaning towards "too much like pop-up ads for anyone's taste", even if they're important. No thanks.

I won't disagree that having a way to ensure people read the rules is a good thing, but shoving them in people's faces probably isn't the way.

ok i see what you are saying here but i didn't really mean it in that way i was trying to convey that there needs to be something that makes it catch their eye so to speak so whether it's a pop up type thing or the rule board will flash red

Basically what suom said.

2) Tags:

The first time you forget this, you get a warning. If you werent observant enough to take a look at the rules, then you get a measily warning that doesnt give any infraction points. If you get infracted, that means you repeated that, even after recieving a warning. The fault is on you.

3) Reasons for post:

This is some basic stuf. If you cannot think of anything relevant to the thread, dont post in there.

4) Favorites/quick jump:

As suom said, subscriptions are a thing. If you go to User CP>Edit options>Default thread subscription mode and change it to no email notification, it will automatically subscribe you to any thread you post in.

All in all these are my ideas they are mainly just to help improve the forum experience and to help out the moderators and make their job easier (you guys are already perfect *smiley wink*)

,KDigityDog

Think of this forum as a town. You are not given a book as a mandatory reading on every institution and estebalishment's rules, you visit those places and they inform you.

Just like you would do on these forums with different boards.

And like I said before, if you break a rule for the first time, you mostly get a warning, worth no infraction points.

That are my thoughts.
h
@Duck your ideas are noted and I understand what you are saying, but I don't think you are seeing what im trying to do here im trying to fix the problem before it happens ... I'm trying to make the forum more organized and neat what this is about is basically make the forum "idiot prof" it will make it so less and less people get it trouble etc.
I like the idea of being forced to select tags before creating threads on boards where the rules demand it, this would probably just guard against forgetfulness as much as total ignorance. At the end of the day I feel like it would just save staff more effort than it takes to code (nobody needs to waste time checking that people remember to tag any more).

I can kind of see what you mean about the rules and the workings of the forum being pretty clustered and confusing at times to people new to this sort of thing. I can see that a tutorial could really help. Perhaps a thread just stickied above the list of all boards giving clear instructions on how everything works formatted to make sense to idiots. I know it would technically belong to the tutorial board but having it as the top of the list and first thing you see when entering the forum would probably help. I imagine it would cover more of the essential basics of navigation and the moderation system in the forum as opposed to the type specific "how to" tutorial which members tend to only need later once they get to grips with the basics.

I know that personally something like that would have been very helpful when learning to use the forum. I probably only learnt that subscribing to threads was a thing months after starting to get into the forum properly, I then used the subscribed threads page practically constantly until I discovered the User CP page much later. Now almost all my interactions with the forum are vie the User CP, I subscribe to all the boards I need to check and all the threads. It is rare for me to just browse the forum normally. If someone had explained the User CP and subscription system to me when I first joined the forum would of seemed a lot more accessible and easier to get to grips with.

However, I don't think rule pop-ups and agreement tick-boxes are the way to go, just make it unavoidably obvious and easy to find the information needed.

As for requiring users to give reasons for posting, I don't think that is so necessary or especially useful.
Good morning sweet princess
Originally Posted by Zelda View Post
I like the idea of being forced to select tags before creating threads on boards where the rules demand it, this would probably just guard against forgetfulness as much as total ignorance. At the end of the day I feel like it would just save staff more effort than it takes to code (nobody needs to waste time checking that people remember to tag any more).

I'm glad you like the idea

I can kind of see what you mean about the rules and the workings of the forum being pretty clustered and confusing at times to people new to this sort of thing. I can see that a tutorial could really help. Perhaps a thread just stickied above the list of all boards giving clear instructions on how everything works formatted to make sense to idiots. I know it would technically belong to the tutorial board but having it as the top of the list and first thing you see when entering the forum would probably help. I imagine it would cover more of the essential basics of navigation and the moderation system in the forum as opposed to the type specific "how to" tutorial which members tend to only need later once they get to grips with the basics.

Yea if this idea becomes a real thing I wouldn't mind spending a day or so to right a good tutorial and I think your idea here is better than mine

I know that personally something like that would have been very helpful when learning to use the forum. I probably only learnt that subscribing to threads was a thing months after starting to get into the forum properly, I then used the subscribed threads page practically constantly until I discovered the User CP page much later. Now almost all my interactions with the forum are vie the User CP, I subscribe to all the boards I need to check and all the threads. It is rare for me to just browse the forum normally. If someone had explained the User CP and subscription system to me when I first joined the forum would of seemed a lot more accessible and easier to get to grips with.

Also why the tut would be helpful

However, I don't think rule pop-ups and agreement tick-boxes are the way to go, just make it unavoidably obvious and easy to find the information needed.

Ok that could work all I was trying to get across was make it so they HAVE to see it

As for requiring users to give reasons for posting, I don't think that is so necessary or especially useful.

Alright but I was thinking this could go on some boards like the clan discussion and that would really help cut down on the useless posts and thing so we could make it so posting on there counts again... But I do think a new sticky like read this would be necessary and it would deacibe what a good post and a useless post would be

----------------

And whoever is deleting my bumps STOP IT! There is no reason to delete my posts!
Now if there is a reason for it tell me because if there isn't a reason you're just being seriously rude
Responded to. Take it up in pms next time. /L
Last edited by KDigityDog; Sep 4, 2015 at 01:20 AM.
Bump...

hahahha this is so cool my tag idea is actually being used in the market now!!! so so cool

I didn't understand too much of this, but I don't think this would be a good idea

NEUTRAL

2) Tags:

I have a lot of threads alive that doesn't have a tag, but hmm this would be cool actually.

SUPPORTED

3) Reasons for post:

Hmmh... In a way people would troll, but actually it would be a cool idea for the guys that have "Non-Understandable" posts.
Still not understanding at the start but...

SUPPORTED

4) Favorites/quick jump:

You can add it on the favorite list of websites of Chrome, Mozilla and Internet Explorer.

NOT SUPPORTED

Actually It would be a cool idea for newbies that can't handle the forum.

SUPPORTED
Running away...