Toribash
Original Post
New version required
Hi,

I had both standalone + steam versions of toribash installed.
Both completely up-to-date.

Started receiving the below:

Shortcut:

The actions I have taken:

- Uninstalled and removed from steam
- Deleted standalone
- Reinstalled one at at time, both still give the response "New version required" when joining a server
- Verified steam files
- Created new account on my pc, installed latest standalone, ran it, received the same message
- Google'd, Google'd & Google'd some more.

I have looked up references to registry paths but the ones I have found such as .rpl have no influence, additionally 'saved games' folder only seems to store login details and preference.

I believe there may be a references on my system that is being used to determine the version installed or something but I cannot find all the files toribash uses/creates/references and I am not a toribash developer so I have no idea where or how these components work with the game.

I have been trying to resolve this for a few hours now and have tried using the discord #support channel for assistance but that didn't work.

Please can someone assist me with resolving this?

I don't want to end up like this poor soul:

https://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=616257

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by CoKe; Apr 4, 2020 at 01:19 PM.

▂▃▄▅▆▇█▓▒░ eVo ░▒▓█▇▆▅▄▃▂

Hey coke I'm no dev but I have got experience with these stuff and I'll like to help if you can talk to me in discord and we will discuss there heres my nameCutter#1893
Hi,

Originally Posted by CoKe View Post
I believe there may be a references on my system that is being used to determine the version installed or something but I cannot find all the files toribash uses/creates/references and I am not a toribash developer so I have no idea where or how these components work with the game.

If this is the case, you could try using an application like Revo to uninstall Toribash (and perhaps Steam too if that doesn't work).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Originally Posted by cutterchop View Post
Hey coke I'm no dev but I have got experience with these stuff and I'll like to help if you can talk to me in discord and we will discuss there heres my nameCutter#1893

Appreciate the response. We can talk on discord for sure man.

Originally Posted by ruby View Post
Hi,

If this is the case, you could try using an application like Revo to uninstall Toribash (and perhaps Steam too if that doesn't work).

I have considered doing something like this, applications that perform deep cleans are risky though - hence me wanting to find everything myself.

If all fails in the next few days I may just perform a format and reinstall everything on my pc. In which case anyone else experiencing this issue that quite literally prevents them from playing online, will have to do the same. Unless I can find the cause.

Thanks though. I'll give feedback on this issue as I go.
Last edited by CoKe; Apr 5, 2020 at 10:58 AM.

I have considered doing something like this, applications that perform deep cleans are risky though - hence me wanting to find everything myself.

If all fails in the next few days I may just perform a format and reinstall everything on my pc.

Just to be clear: removing a Steam game from your computer is risky (very little evidence of this by the way), so your logical next step is to format? Even if you're worried about the (negligible) risk of using an uninstaller, any decent one has different levels of safety (depth of clean) you can choose from.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Originally Posted by ruby View Post
Just to be clear: removing a Steam game from your computer is risky (very little evidence of this by the way), so your logical next step is to format? Even if you're worried about the (negligible) risk of using an uninstaller, any decent one has different levels of safety (depth of clean) you can choose from.

Uh sure I'll have this conversation...

How do you think programs are "completely removed" by 3rd party applications? They double delete the files in the install directory? No, they look for files and configurations in your system that they don't deem necessary and remove them or alter them, this includes cleaning of registries usually. Microsoft itself advises against this practice as it can brick your pc. This means a format is technically safer.

Thanks for the concern though I'll give an update on this again in the morrow or so.

ps: standalone has no uninstaller anyway and using the steam uninstall will only solve half the problem, not a full solution to both the installs imo.
Last edited by CoKe; Apr 5, 2020 at 11:29 PM.

Uh sure I'll have this conversation...

How do you think programs are "completely removed" by 3rd party applications? They double delete the files in the install directory? No, they look for files and configurations in your system that they don't deem necessary and remove them or alter them, this includes cleaning of registries usually. Microsoft itself advises against this practice as it can brick your pc. This means a format is technically safer.

Thanks for the concern though I'll give an update on this again in the morrow or so.

ps: standalone has no uninstaller anyway and using the steam uninstall will only solve half the problem, not a full solution to both the installs imo.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+a+system+restore+point
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Considered a system restore too, this would work I guess theoretically speaking.
I don't have restore points etc though.

Just to be clear, I don't mind a format and the effort involved - I just find it ridiculous that a tiny application on my pc cannot be fixed...without such drastic measures. If I can find a fix before formatting, restoring system points or cleaning with 3rd party applications then it might help the next person experiencing this issue.

I have some ideas I want to try tomorrow though. Cutter has also suggested some system health checks I could try.

Considered a system restore too, this would work I guess theoretically speaking.
I don't have restore points etc though.

Just to be clear, I don't mind a format and the effort involved - I just find it ridiculous that a tiny application on my pc cannot be fixed...without such drastic measures. If I can find a fix before formatting, restoring system points or cleaning with 3rd party applications then it might help the next person experiencing this issue.

I have some ideas I want to try tomorrow though. Cutter has also suggested some system health checks I could try.

Try to search in the windows search bar the system boot options it haves a specific name like system and something u will find it evantually and boot the pc with no services maybe it's some service interfering don't boot in safe mode the pc will just block u from play so you chose to disable services and give it a try I'm always free if u want to chat and see what we can do about it I'll be waiting on ya in discord
Your last successful login that I see was on March 31st; what did you change in your PC configuration since then? Are there any errors in stderr.txt file (located in Toribash folder)?
The issue you're having is a result of Toribash client not being able to generate a unique identifier for your machine. Make sure there are no issues with Advapi32.dll and then try again.