Ranking
Original Post
*Read this statement before applying to join*
For a long time it was only the Guru's in our humble IRC channel, and our trusted friends. We would often use our IRC to make group decisions about potential members, and freely spoke our minds.

One time however, it was mistakenly implied that the best way to gain entry was to hang around in the IRC (members would start suggesting to potential members that they come speak in the IRC).

This eventually seemed to create a problem. People seemed to start entering the IRC just to pester us about their entry, and when/if they were denied never entered the IRC again. They only started entering the IRC because they thought it would help their chances of getting into the clan and only entered to try and impress us.

As the eye in our logo implies... "We watch". After we watch we report the finding to one another. By being in the IRC it seems to me that if someone had something negative to say, they may very well hold back. I don't want that to occur. The gurus have always been a very united clan, and I don't want to risk that.

It also seems to me that people thought the IRC is the only way one can make judgments about ones character, that is not the case. Those who don't enter the IRC have their forum posts read and assessed, all aspects (I'm pretty obsessive with reading between lines).

It is also difficult to tell if the person within the IRC is putting on show or not. It is actually easier to base things off forum posts (and reports/recommendations given by other members) then IRC chat. When one is trying to impress the group (consciously or subconsciously), they tend to act how they see others acting. That tells me little.

Another point is that I don't really feel it is fair to the potential members themselves. It seems they get the impression they must impress us by living among us, and have to feel like the odd man out until something is reached or decided on.

I realize this misconception was brought about by no fault of anyone (except myself really). I do not mean to disrespect anyone from this post. I just simply want to bring about a correction to the misconception. No one should take any offence or feel they brought this about. I have actually been considering it for months, and simply figured now was the best time to enforce it before the misconception grew any further.

That is why... from now on...

If someone is wishing to join Guru, they must not enter the Guru IRC channel unless they remove their application or are invited. Exceptions or revisions to the rule may occur at my discretion. Revisions to the rule (or even the mater of the rule existing itself) will be heavily influenced by Guru member input.
Last edited by lancer_c; Jun 8, 2008 at 10:03 AM.