Toribash
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
So I can say I'm better player than Messi? Or better runner than Bolt?

You can say those things, though people will most likely disagree with you.
Originally Posted by MintCat View Post
You can say those things, though people will most likely disagree with you.

Aaaand yes, argument that is incredibly regressive. By watering down everything to a subjective level nothing means anything. In the real world evaluative qualities can be used to measure goodness at something.
best -
of the most excellent or desirable type or quality.

In this case, best is subjective, because you can either say:
A) The person who wins the most
B) The person who plays the most stylishly
best -
of the most excellent or desirable type or quality.

In this case, best is subjective, because you can either say:
A) The person who wins the most
B) The person who plays the most stylishly

You can water things down to dictionary definitions and ignore multiplayer rule-sets and set goals by Hampa himself but thats banal. But actually looking at the game, being the best becomes less subjective. The game in MP has a set goal, win the opponent by dq, score or other set parameters. "B) The person who plays the most stylishly" Is a arbitrary parameter set by an individual. It is not as valid as the objective one set by the creator of the game by himself. Thats why you can say Usain Bolt is the best 100m runner because the goal is set by the organisators of the competition.

You can set a goal individually for MP. But I'd argue that in the big picture its less valid than the one set by the game creator.
Last edited by cowmeat; Jul 20, 2015 at 02:25 PM.
Sprint events are hardly equivalent to Toribash. Usain Bolt is measured by his time, and getting the shortest time is objective.

Toribash's rules vary from mod to mod, making the objective part of the game a confusing one. The community is a big factor of what determines a great player, and as the game has progressed over the years, players have adapted and changed the game based on skill. If hampa's rules are changeable, then the definition of 'best' in regards to Toribash is subjective.
Sprint events are hardly equivalent to Toribash. Usain Bolt is measured by his time, and getting the shortest time is objective.

Toribash's rules vary from mod to mod, making the objective part of the game a confusing one. The community is a big factor of what determines a great player, and as the game has progressed over the years, players have adapted and changed the game based on skill. If hampa's rules are changeable, then the definition of 'best' in regards to Toribash is subjective.

"Toribash's rules vary from mod to mod, making the objective part of the game a confusing one"

Are you kidding me? the means of winning differ, but the objective never changes in MP, its always to beat your opponent with the exception of sparring.

"The community is a big factor of what determines a great player, and as the game has progressed over the years, players have adapted and changed the game based on skill."

Irrelevant since that doesnt affect winning conditions or objectives

". If hampa's rules are changeable, then the definition of 'best' in regards to Toribash is subjective"

Changing the 100 meter sprint to 200 meter sprint with one leg doesnt change the end objective.

And you are correct that defining best in whole TB is impossible. But in one aspect as in MP its not that subjective.
Originally Posted by Zelda View Post
And toribash isn't a sport since it does not involve physical exertion as an element of the game.

It's not my fault their is so little to discuss that I need resort to dictionary definitions and verbal technicalities to provide a counter-argument.

If you want to argue the definition of sport this conversation becomes banal
For me, taking part in an activity which is enjoyable (as in playing) is equivalent to having fun so I am looking at who is having the most fun. And toribash isn't a sport since it does not involve physical exertion as an element of the game.

And of course I am only arguing this to create more of a discussion, that was one of the first things I tried to explain. It's not my fault there is so little to discuss that I need resort to dictionary definitions and verbal technicalities to provide a counter-argument.
Last edited by Zelda; Jul 20, 2015 at 05:34 PM.
Good morning sweet princess
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
If you want to argue the definition of sport this conversation becomes banal

Since the definition of the purpose of playing depends on whether Toribash is a sport or not, knowing whether toribash is a sport is important. Had to look up what banal meant BTW. I'm pretty sure discussions on the exact meaning of the dictionary definition of sport are not banal (while indeed being boring, it is hardly a regular or much repeated occurrence).

If you find it boring feel free to give up with this line of discussion, we both know I'm wrong so beyond providing you with something to do this argument has been pointless (unsurprisingly).
Good morning sweet princess
I have no idea anymore, but I'm pretty sure Bolt doesn't play Toribash.
~
oh wait...

ok cowmeat, you win.
Last edited by MintCat; Jul 20, 2015 at 07:36 PM.