Toribash
Original Post
Mod Browser Update 2023 FEEDBACK!!!

MOD BROWSER UPDATE!! WE NEED YOUR FEEDBACK

Hello Toribashers. Matarika here. So we've got lots of stuff planned this year for Toribash and one of them is an update to the Mod Browser seen below.

We're trying to make the way we interact and browse the browser a lot more enjoyable and accessible for more!
We've developed a draft of the mod browser that you can find attached at the bottom! It's full of empty folders, so you can see how we've set it up! (We do have a version with the mods in it, but we'll save that for release.) this one is just so you can see the skeleton of the browser update.

There's a few main things we'd like to hear from you guys about:

- Would you prefer to keep these classic/official mods on the main page for ease of access? No additional clicking! These are often the mods new players will stumble upon and play first. (Or maybe different mods? Like the Fun Mods be the first loose mods you see here? Instead of the classic/official)

or would you prefer everything, even those, be organized and the main page be just the folders. This would be mainly geared towards new players, to encourage them to make explore and decide what their first experience on TB will be.

Remember the first impression a player has on the main page can influence what mods they play first and what first impression they have about Toribash!

- Any ideas for files you'd consolidate, remove, or mix? Maybe a name change?

Share comments below!

Attached Files
New Browser Template.zip (54.2 KB, 6 views)
Howdy, I'm Mod Squad & The Social Media Manager @ Nabi Studios , if you have any modding or social media questions PM me or DM me on Discord: Matarika#5297
You need to add a way to search all the mods in the mod tab of the website in game- It also needs to have the ability to sort by most downloaded, recently uploaded, most plays, that kinda thing.
I dont like the overwhelming focus on arcadey comp mods right now, but I also think that hiding it all into folders might be just a tiny bit of a hassle since you cant do a parkour map or spar when you're just starting to play Toribash...

My real suggestion, though, is for there to be a very obvious way for new players to load a mod OTHER THAN AIKIDO when they make a room!!!!! It would genuinely be huge for people to load up the game and choose what to play on without having to use an unexplicit shortcut or clicking on the two inconspicuously named buttons called "tools" and "mod list." Remember that noobs aren't searching for "mods" but rather the "map" to play on, so hiding those behind "mod list" which is hidden under the vague and unfun term "tools" which is itself tucked into the righthand side of the main menu away from every other option is pretty counterproductive.

My solution is that the mod list opens automatically when you make a room or open freeplay. This sounds like something that should be very easy to add to the game right now. Also I could've sworn that the shortcut ctrl+m was actually on the mod list, but it isn't as far as I can tell, so that should be added as well so that people can memorize the shortcut for when they have the menu closed but want to load a mod.
Last edited by dyingderp; Mar 29, 2023 at 03:21 AM.
Originally Posted by dyingderp View Post
My solution is that the mod list opens automatically when you make a room or open freeplay. This sounds like something that should be very easy to add to the game right now. Also I could've sworn that the shortcut ctrl+m was actually on the mod list, but it isn't as far as I can tell, so that should be added as well so that people can memorize the shortcut for when they have the menu closed but want to load a mod.

Ok so this right here, is one of the best feedbacks i've heard in a while, you guys should consider doing that.
d o r p
destruidorp4
destruidor
toribash for life
The structure you've made looks fine. I would shuffle all the loose mods in to their respective folders, if only because it would look tidy. I'd also like to see the parkour maps be put in to difficulty folders, it's a pain flicking through them all to find something that is relevant to my skill level. You could also drop your parkour practice maps in there Matarika, the one with the low walls, jumps etc.
Originally Posted by dyingderp View Post
My real suggestion, though, is for there to be a very obvious way for new players to load a mod OTHER THAN AIKIDO when they make a room!!!!! It would genuinely be huge for people to load up the game and choose what to play on without having to use an unexplicit shortcut or clicking on the two inconspicuously named buttons called "tools" and "mod list." Remember that noobs aren't searching for "mods" but rather the "map" to play on, so hiding those behind "mod list" which is hidden under the vague and unfun term "tools" which is itself tucked into the righthand side of the main menu away from every other option is pretty counterproductive.

Just a note that this is how new room creation interface looks in 5.60:
Can MAS / MMA mods get their own category?
Leader of the Spyder House
Toribash Martial Artists
Originally Posted by footlox View Post
Can MAS / MMA mods get their own category?

TrueEnder had the same ask. And a part of me is like yeah sure but there's a reason right now I say no.
and that is because right now the most active modding community is hiding within the High Grav Community.
At least when it comes to interesting environments, weapons, and mechanics.

I feel separating out High Grav (right now at least) would make it increasingly difficult for Non High Grav players (such as a -30 grav player just looking for a cool new environment) to discover any of these new environments, weapons, mechanics, as they wouldn't go searching in there otherwise.

As a staff member on Toribash I have two personal goals, to push us closer together and to make this game more accessible for all. I feel there has been a polarization between classic/comp players, creative replay-makers, and the competitive realism/HighGrav community.

Hiding away all the newest coolest things coming out the High Grav community in their own folder would only further the divide, at least until we can create a spike in community modding at large. I feel for now focusing on what's best for new players would be the smartest idea. (instead of what would make any of our sub-communities more comfortable)

But alas if we ever get a tagging system, a way for High Grav mods to be searched without hiding them away. I'd be more than happy to do that.
Last edited by matarika; Mar 30, 2023 at 12:55 AM.
Howdy, I'm Mod Squad & The Social Media Manager @ Nabi Studios , if you have any modding or social media questions PM me or DM me on Discord: Matarika#5297