Ranking
Original Post
Ingame Message Notifications
Alright, down to business. So I'm playing toribash, right? And I went to go change the music I was listening to, so I clicked on the internet tab that I had open and changed the song. Meanwhile an acquaintance of mine joined the server I was in, greeted me with saying my name in the greeting, waited for a response and left when I didn't respond in time. I was disappointed that I missed them. So I thought, what if there was a notification noise that went off anytime someone said part of your user name. Much like what skype does, if you're in a group chat with notifications off and you set words that if someone says it notifies you and highlights the word.

There can even be presets for specific words. Someone says cantaloupe or any word preset of my choosing ingame while I'm jerkin' the gerkin, I'll be on that in seconds. (Kinda like normal but without the premature ejaculations.)

Example:

[Before]
<userdude>: Hey Ber!
<userdude>: Ber?
*Bercat doesn't see messages because he's viewing forums 24/7*
*userdude gets impatient and leaves server looking like a loner*
*Bercat is upset that he missed his friend*

[After]
<userdude>: Hey Ber!
*notification ring goes off on Bercat's computer giving him a slight heart attack*
<Bercat>: sup dude!
*notification doesn't go off on userdude's computer because userdude is already on the toribash tab*
*Bercat and userdude make love in notification paradise*

Tell me what you guys think. This can be really useful for not destroying friendships and stuff. As always, give me your opinions and if you plan on getting butthurt, add counter suggestions, please. Alrighty, it's 5am in the morning after an all nighter and userdude is waiting for the magic to arrive. *Bercat flies away to notification paradise*
Stay Fluffy My Friends | I do loans and shit
Founder of [ROT] | Destroyer of Anus
seems like a great idea,works on irc,adding it to in-game would be a pretty nice
Last edited by Lazors; Aug 22, 2015 at 11:16 AM.
Whenever a part of your name appears in the chat? This could be really annoying. Example: my name contains the word "pet", so if in the chat they are discussing about a pet, i receive tons of notifications? And there are guys with more common names like Cold, Fear, Fate, variations of Tori (toriboth/torissiah/toriobaby) etc. Wouldn't work.

Instead we could receive a notification every time that someone whispers us, it's more helpful and efficient. Keep in mind that this could stimulate annoying kids to spam your whispers while you are doing something else because they want your attention, would be better to have a limit to how many notifications you can receive from a person.

Also enable/disable button.
Originally Posted by WeppetKo View Post
Whenever a part of your name appears in the chat? This could be really annoying. Example: my name contains the word "pet", so if in the chat they are discussing about a pet, i receive tons of notifications? And there are guys with more common names like Cold, Fear, Fate, variations of Tori (toriboth/torissiah/toriobaby) etc. Wouldn't work.

hmmm...thats a point
i think it'd be better if some one says your whole name in a message in the chat,such as,if some one says your complete name (such as WeppetKo),you get notified,if only a part of the name,(such as pet)you dont get a notification
Originally Posted by thecrash12 View Post
hmmm...thats a point
i think it'd be better if some one says your whole name in a message in the chat,such as,if some one says your complete name (such as WeppetKo),you get notified,if only a part of the name,(such as pet)you dont get a notification

That seems like a much better way of going about this. And it could require a lot less coding.
Stay Fluffy My Friends | I do loans and shit
Founder of [ROT] | Destroyer of Anus
Originally Posted by Bercat View Post
That seems like a much better way of going about this. And it could require a lot less coding.

But it would require everybody to call you by your full name. Some usernames are shortening-proof, such as mine, but still, if my friend XxxSexySmexyxxX is ingame and I want him to be notified I dont really want to spell his whole name.

The idea of setting up a few trigger words for the notification in the options menu would actually work.
h
Originally Posted by duck View Post
But it would require everybody to call you by your full name. Some usernames are shortening-proof, such as mine, but still, if my friend XxxSexySmexyxxX is ingame and I want him to be notified I dont really want to spell his whole name.

The idea of setting up a few trigger words for the notification in the options menu would actually work.

tab autofills the name so it'd be issue only in some rare cases
or u can just use
/notice or something like that to make his toribash icon flash
just like when ur turn comes when u are out
spam it and I'll get flood kicked or banned if u kept it like that
So yeah...
This will be maybe annoying for GMs when they do GMTourneys, but actually I missed a lot of friends while viewing forums

Im neutral in here
Running away...
I agree with Slask, a "/notice [username]" command would be better, and if there's someone annoying you with that command you just disable it.