ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
"Lost contact with server"
I get this message dozens of times a day. Whenever I try playing online, it disconnects me while waiting in line or just after my round starts. I never get to play. I have no idea what is causing it. My firewall isn't set to block ports at all.

My stderr.txt is filled with mostly:
"density statement out of context"

A great deal of:
"parse_cmd wrong start"

Almost as many:
"ODE Message 3: LCP internal error, s <= 0 (s=0.0000e+000)"

And a few:
"net_fetch_buf NULL byte error"

That means it's basically timing out or ending the connection.

By any chance, do you have ZoneAlarm? That generally causes this.

Also, set your firewall to except Toribash from everything too, just in case.
Originally Posted by Jok View Post

That means it's basically timing out or ending the connection.

By any chance, do you have ZoneAlarm? That generally causes this.

Also, set your firewall to except Toribash from everything too, just in case.

I've never used ZoneAlarm personally, and the people I know who have, have all had troubles with it, so no.

I have a modem, a router and a software firewall. None are set to block ports or applications, but maybe it would help if i used port forwarding... I would just need to know which ports Toribash uses.

EDIT:
Searching around led me to the ports 53 and 20000-20300, which I port forwarded. No change.
Last edited by efreeti; Jul 26, 2008 at 04:13 PM.
Originally Posted by efreeti View Post
I've never used ZoneAlarm personally, and the people I know who have, have all had troubles with it, so no.

I have a modem, a router and a software firewall. None are set to block ports or applications, but maybe it would help if i used port forwarding... I would just need to know which ports Toribash uses.

EDIT:
Searching around led me to the ports 53 and 20000-20300, which I port forwarded. No change.

Port forwarding is for incoming connections. This is outgoing.

Set the firewall to except Toribash from everything.
Port forwarding is for incoming connections. This is outgoing.

Set the firewall to except Toribash from everything.

Except? I'm not sure what you're talking about. Exceptions?

Firewalls on the modem and router are completely disabled, and the software firewall only blocks harmful processes, no ports are blocked. There is nothing to make exceptions from.
Last edited by efreeti; Jul 26, 2008 at 09:30 PM.
Except? I'm not sure what you're talking about. Exceptions?

Firewalls on the modem and router are completely disabled, and the software firewall only blocks harmful processes, no ports are blocked. There is nothing to make exceptions from.

'completely disabled' says them. They're most likely still active.

Not to mention 'harmful processes' could likely include Toribash.

Just add TB to exceptions on all the firewalls, even if they're disabled.
'completely disabled' says them. They're most likely still active.

Not to mention 'harmful processes' could likely include Toribash.

Just add TB to exceptions on all the firewalls, even if they're disabled.

You don't get it. Completely disabled means completely disabled. And I know every process which is blocked. I allow or deny them access when they first try contacting something. So don't patronize me, I know very well I didn't accidentally make it block Toribash.

I am quite serious, there is nothing to make exceptions from.
And like I said, those errors are consistent with the problems of a firewall blocking Toribash.

I'm not trying to patronize you, I'm telling you that sometimes firewalls AREN'T really disabled. Even when they claim they are. I know first-hand that some do that.
And like I said, those errors are consistent with the problems of a firewall blocking Toribash.

I'm not trying to patronize you, I'm telling you that sometimes firewalls AREN'T really disabled. Even when they claim they are. I know first-hand that some do that.

You don't know first-hand if mine does that. I do. And it doesn't.
You don't know first-hand if mine does that. I do. And it doesn't.

*sigh*

First-hand meaning my personal experience. I've seen at least a dozen different firewalls, hardware and software, that claim they are 'disabled', when in fact they block almost any access outside the network. I'm not saying it's your case. I'm saying that because I've seen at least 12 cases where that WAS the case, it MIGHT be your problem, which is why I suggested you double-check. And the fact that you're refusing to at least check isn't helping. How hard is it to try something. It would take you less than it took to post and wait for my replies.

And obviously since you didn't start misunderstanding me, you know what you're doing with your computer, so I don't assume you don't know anything about computers. But I DO assume that you're taking the info you're given for granted. The fact that it says something's disabled, and that it's supposed to be, doesn't mean it is.

And the fact that for now you're not getting a solution, at least trying a somewhat weird solution isn't a problem. It isn't going to kill you, in any case.