Toribash
Original Post
What do you judge a song by?
When you listen to a song, what's your most important factor in determining if you like the song or not?

For me, in this order:

Guitar
Vocals
Drums
Lyrics
Lyric meaning
Video
T0ribush: I could not get into two worlds even if my life depended on it.
ಠ_ಠ ಥ_ಥ
Hmm... well, the "catchy" factor is always there. If I find myself humming a song, I more often than not like it.

Other than that, I'm not really specific and can't prioritize my likes on music, I just like what sounds like what I like. (funny sentence, no)
Last edited by RedDevil; May 8, 2010 at 11:48 AM.
The extent to which it causes my face to change expression.
[19:39] <Birdflu> I'm just sad that I can't give myself one
[19:39] <Birdflu> I'd have a great time
Some of them, when applicable to the genre:
1 - Lyrics: concept + theme + message + meaning + complexity/simplicity of rhymes and its effectiveness (I like to see multisyllabic rhymes and figures of speech) + congruence
2 - Creativity: originality + delivery + deepness + footprint
3 - Instrumental: variety + drum patterns + broadness of scope + execution + quality/richness of sampling + atmospheric density + feeling or adrenaline + rhythm.
4 - Credibility: Sincerity + ability to evolve + passionate artistic purity (although subjective, I do think that the vast majority of heavily commercial music sounds tendentiously mediocre, artificial and lack in passion)

Those are some of the main characteristics I evaluate when I listen to music.
Last edited by GenkiSudo; May 8, 2010 at 04:38 PM.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
I feel the same way, I can't stand listening to Jay-Z, Lil' Wayne, or ANY commercial artist, it makes me sick, I only listen to, and support Underground and Independent artists.
Last edited by bucket_old; May 9, 2010 at 03:11 AM. Reason: I felt like putting a reason for editing.
Why does milk taste so great after eating brownies?