ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Whats cheaper, buying a gaming pc or making one?
Ok so basically at the moment i am using a laptop for my work and stuff. And i also try gaming on it. But i want to get a desktop pc for some more hardcore games like :Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Toribash (With Shaders ON ^_^), MW3 and other games. I would also like it to be my computer for experiementing with linux. Requirements:
At least 4GB of RAM
Quad core second generation processor
A wicked fan to prevent overheating
Nvidia graphics card
Just basically all the bits and bobs that make a gaming pc good. But it also has to look nice xD

Would it be cheaper to build it myself or if not can someone link me to a good premade gaming pc.
PS: Do not link me that alienware shite -_-
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Mahatma Gandhi
building is cheaper, as far as you look for the cheaper products from different vendors.

tell me your max budget, and I'll try to make a list of things you'll probably need, before you get an expensive fancy shit which can't run anything properly.
0x6869706F7469626F72
Building is cheaper and better, imo.
Because you can build a pc with what you really want it for. (gaming or editing, etc.)
And parts are cheap (like what Gamer said).
Newegg.com
Definitely not Josh Lintag
for some parts i suggest using newegg to find what you want and then buying that exact item from amazon if its cheaper

i built my computer and have since upgraded almost everything but the case

building is fun and cheaper
back from the dead
SELLING MY DEACTIVATED
I don't really have a budget. I want to get a Desktop but its not set in stone yet. Im not entirely sure i want one yet. I was checking to find out the pros and cons before i try.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Mahatma Gandhi
Buying an already made pc is definitely more expensive, and they will screw you over somewhere.

If you build, you can get exactly what you want for cheaper. A lot of people also consider it really fun to build a computer, however; if you loathe the idea of building one that would be a con.

EDIT: Linux cannot play many good games. If you want to experiment with linux and still play games, make sure you can dual boot windows.

...and you can get some ballin' cases from compusa or newegg.
Last edited by PieGod; Oct 6, 2012 at 05:10 AM.
RIP [TPC]
This guy was once a GameMaster
1. Read the FAQ in this subforum (it's stickied)
2. Build

Sidenote:
"hardcore games like :Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Toribash (With Shaders ON ^_^), MW3"
> hardcore
> lists mainstream games
lol, core means something else when talking about games buddy.
It depends if you feel alright building your own PC or not. It's a very easy process, and this is what I'd prefer, but there are alternatives when it comes to building/buying a PC.

On certain websites, such as CyberPower or iBuyPower (best PC builders, imo), they have something where you pay monthly, rather than all at once. The problem is, if you don't pay it all within 6 months (which a while, if you ask me), they add on a bit of interest, but it's not much. This way of paying is probably more for someone on a budget per/month but can pay a bit more in the long run, which will only be a few hundred dollars more than building. This is what I'm going to have to do, and it's not because I want to, it's because I have to.

So think, are you on a budget or not? If you are on a pretty tight budget, but can pay more over a period of time, I'd suggest option 2. If you are on a budget, but only have a certain amount of money for a PC and won't have any extra income later, etc., I'd prefer buying certain parts and building your own.

By the way, if you are looking for parts to build a PC and you aren't sure, check out websites like www.TomsHardWare.com and www.PCPartPicker.com.

In the long run, it's better to build your own. In some cases though, it may be better money-wise to pay a company such as I listed above a monthly fee.
Last edited by Faint; Oct 9, 2012 at 06:18 AM.
If you would like I could build a gaming pc over internet and send you the link to it.
A hasbeen like the rest