Toribash
Original Post
[Art] How Doxxy Shades
This is a watch and learn style vid.
I'll be happy to answer any questions if asked.

Had problems with video, heres the download link if you are interested in it still
Last edited by Doxxy; Apr 8, 2011 at 02:50 AM.
its pretty, but I think you shouldn't use smudge!
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
I love the intricate shading you have on that face, unfortunately making it into a spinny globe makes it look worse.. Especially the lips, and that morphing thing that you used.. Warp that's the word..

So as I understand it you use Dodge/ Burn and Smudge to shade parts, using a blurry brush and changing the opacity? Is that the main concept?
It seems more like an artwork than like a TB head though..

Good job, you are too humble though when you comment that you suck. No you don't
You're a great artist, one of my favourites
Black Lives Matter. Smash racism, whatever means necessary.
Originally Posted by incocnicto View Post
I love the intricate shading you have on that face, unfortunately making it into a spinny globe makes it look worse.. Especially the lips, and that morphing thing that you used.. Warp that's the word..

So as I understand it you use Dodge/ Burn and Smudge to shade parts, using a blurry brush and changing the opacity? Is that the main concept?
It seems more like an artwork than like a TB head though..

Good job, you are too humble though when you comment that you suck. No you don't
You're a great artist, one of my favourites

It looked worse cause it wasn't mapped properly. I'm not great at mapping and i didn't really think it though before i started lol.

Basically yes. You can use the paint brush, and air brush as well, but i find doing it on one layer creates more detail and accessibility when drawing.
And i use the smudge tool cause i am not that great of a drawer, so i have to fix my mistakes :P
Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
its pretty, but I think you shouldn't use smudge!

Using smudge is ok for its purpaces, The main concept of using smudge in such paintings is that you get a smoother color overlap and softer shading. But a variation of both smudge, softbrush and hard brush is ideal. Dodge and burn works fine too for its purpaces.
I like it, but I have two points.

1. To help mapping, I suggest starting out with a canvas twice as wide as it should be. Scale it when you're done. This will map properly. (Thank you Pate5.)

2. When you were doing the gradient for the skin at the beginning, instead of trying to line it up with the guide, you could hold Ctrl for a "constrained angle". It would have auto-aligned itself up and down. Yeah, it only saves a few seconds, but time is valuable.
but if you do the double width trick like pate. the mapping at the top will go crazy when you resize it back to normal.
Want to join GATA?Apply here
Free textures
I didn't watch the tutorial, but I saw you said "It looked worse cause it wasn't mapped properly. I'm not great at mapping and i didn't really think it though before i started lol."

But, an easy way to do this, is to make a template using the rule of thirds and make two middle guides(Horizontal and Vertical) and use the middle square as the front, the two squares on the on the opposite sides as the back, to bottom as the back(common sense should tell you when to stop going down so much) and the top squares as, the top. lol
Hope this helped you Doxxy, and anyone else who reads this
I bought a subscription to Wibbles so I think this quote is necessary,
"Be careful when gazing into the void, for it gazes back"
Thanks for the comments. But i do in fact know hot to map, which i proved to gorman and wafflez in irc.

I learned the 1024x512 trick a long time, but i never use it because i like my style.
Also mali, i did that at the beginning of the video with the guides.
But yes, i know how to map properly, it just comes done to lazyness.
it says "the video has been removed by user"!
but i wanna see how doxxy shades :O
Hampa> dont loose if you want to be ranked high :)
Hampa> yeah, a timeless wisdom right there