Ranking
Original Post
How to start a fight? General Debut question.
Intro, you can ignore it:
I've played Toribash for two days now, really enjoyed the concept. When you're practicing, you have all the time in the world. Ghost is very clear, I can patiently get what I want and I can experiment. My first vs CPU replay was really enjoyable and fun. But I would very much like to leave Uke and go in field. And in multiplayer mode, I'm getting bashed reaaaal easy by anyone just because I still can't really get the movements I want fast enough. I'm using Z, X and C shortcuts, trying to maintain my balance and to find crucial spots. And I'm sure practice makes perfect, but I would like to ask for one advice in particular. Please?

My question is:
How do you start a fight?

I mean, you have only 20 secs to get some meaningful results quick. It's way too little. What are your starting points? Do you hold all joints and build on that, or the opposite? Are there some parts that are absolutely crucial and you generally click on them almost every time you start a fight?

I guess both "all hold" and "all relaxed" stances are no good, you're neither offensive nor defensive that way. Am I correct?

I really liked Wooshoo and Wrestilng, but let's stick to Aikido as it's the main course on servers after all. I get that the answer really differs depending on your strategy. But right now my strategy sometimes is either to get in very strange position in the air and get my ass unblanced and kicked in no time, or just to find myself doing the opposite to my expectations.

I've read a couple of manuals. Your personal experience is very much preferred. But any advice or link would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Attached Files
v_my first battle ever.rpl (27.8 KB, 29 views)
Last edited by Vospi; May 30, 2014 at 08:39 AM.
If you play stuff like aikido, I'd suggest keeping at least one foot on the ground, and nearly always contracting one pec and rotating your chest, that seems to work for new players. Hope I helped.
[19:59] <Lazors> man it's a good thing people don't see what i write here
advices:
-low your center of gravity (like: extend both glutes, contract both knees/ hip and right/left rotate chest) with that your not toughing the ground for 1 frame but that avoid shovelling because you got more weight, and if that doesn't work, you can put a backward foot to counter your oppodent
if he push like that "<-" you have to push like that "->" your oppodent will lost this battle because you starting pushing directly against him, he started pushing before you, the energy he spend will be diffuse in air, he will just get the point because of the impact so you'll get the advantage to dq ;)
Elle couuurt, Elle coooourt! LA MAAAAaaaAaladiiiie d'amOOoour! Dans le c... (cœur) des enfaaants! De 16 à 77 ans!
relax all, rotate chest and lumbar gives you good beginning in terms of momentum and force. After that just do some random stuff do get a feeling for your tori. Changing the rotation of your chest every turn can bring your enemy out of balance quick if you grabbed him.
Last edited by Shakky; May 29, 2014 at 03:46 PM.
Anything more? I'm starving for information.
That's some very handful lot of advices, very much appreciated! Going to try it all out!
Well, I never played Aikido, but I'm pretty good at anything that isn't Judo or Aikido. I've found that your feet are stronger than your arms. Use them if you want to send something flying.

I feel that could be useful to any player, regardless of match type. I typically use them to kick, but you could probably use it to gain leverage over your opponent. Then again, I don't play Aikido. :S
Keep at least one hand grabbing the opponent as long as you can - unless you are going to throw him.

A good tip that I have learned is to keep your hands contracted when you grab. This makes it so when you are both going to touch hands outside the ring, your opponent's hand will touch first, because it is angled out.

When you are being shoveled - which happens a lot in early game - keep your feet on the ground! The best way to do this is to extend your knees, extend your ankles, and extend your wrists. This keeps your body as long as possible to keep your feet on the ground. I will try to edit in a shovel counter replay later.

Hope this helps.
[Team Wushu]
Pm me any questions! I will be happy to help.
Also keep an eye when to stop contraction or reverse it, since it just keeps going every time you hit space if you aren't careful. e.g. if you just did a side kick and forget about it you might end up doing the splits and if the opponent sees that they may try to force you down and it can be hard to save because your foot is all the way up by your head by then.
Contract pecs is a good attack and gains an edge with points, and some control, you can also make the hands grabby so that attack will stick onto your opponent,

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)