Toribash
Originally Posted by Kyure View Post
Hey have you ever noticed that in most games your CPU usage won't go above 25, or 50? Hm, I wonder why that is?

Oh right, because the games are single-threaded.

It doesn't normally go beyond there for the reason of running the rest of your software (such as the OS). You can take it beyond there but I'm sorry to say that reading this thread and your responses have made me cringe.

Why so ignorant to straight up facts?
I'm doing a lot of hardware related modules on my CS course at University; they touch upon hardware topics in Computer Systems.

Though I doubt I needed my Uni course to understand this, I could've quite easily just looked up online about how CPU's work and how games use processors. Google is your friend.

edit:

I should've probably said something more obvious, such as it depends on the GPU load, if your processors aren't going beyond 50% it's normally due to software limitations installed by the brand of your CPU or GPU. You can unlock this potential and make it go further so you can stress your CPU to near 100%. Though it'd only go that far if your GPU itself was being put onto max load itself. I think Pig explained it earlier by summarizing how CPUs work with background processes
Last edited by souldevilj; Oct 29, 2015 at 06:12 AM.
Hey have you ever noticed that in most games your CPU usage won't go above 25, or 50? Hm, I wonder why that is?

Oh right, because the games are single-threaded.

CS GO uses around 2% therefore I have a 50 core processor. This is the only possible explanation, I see no possible flaws with this logic.

Let's just ignore all of this for a second...
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=source+engine+multicore
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=unreal+engine+multicore
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=unity+engine+multicore
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=list+of+multicore+games
...because clearly it's all wrong and apparently games are literally the only class of programs that do not utilize multiple cores.

Let's just totally ignore that it's the OS's job to schedule jobs, and the CPU's job to execute instructions, and pretend that games execute directly on the metal through some unknown mechanism (well, I guess Kyure knows since it exists in his imagination lol).

(But seriously, no I have not noticed that because it's not true...)
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Even morrowind and oblivion were multithreaded and they came out God knows how long ago.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[4:37 PM] ponf: y'all might think i'm not wild enough to send dick pics over toribash
[4:37 PM] ponf: you'd be wrong
uwu i wuv you uwu
Originally Posted by souldevilj View Post
It doesn't normally go beyond there for the reason of running the rest of your software (such as the OS). You can take it beyond there but I'm sorry to say that reading this thread and your responses have made me cringe.

Why so ignorant to straight up facts?
I'm doing a lot of hardware related modules on my CS course at University; they touch upon hardware topics in Computer Systems.

Though I doubt I needed my Uni course to understand this, I could've quite easily just looked up online about how CPU's work and how games use processors. Google is your friend.

edit:

I should've probably said something more obvious, such as it depends on the GPU load, if your processors aren't going beyond 50% it's normally due to software limitations installed by the brand of your CPU or GPU. You can unlock this potential and make it go further so you can stress your CPU to near 100%. Though it'd only go that far if your GPU itself was being put onto max load itself. I think Pig explained it earlier by summarizing how CPUs work with background processes

Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
CS GO uses around 2% therefore I have a 50 core processor. This is the only possible explanation, I see no possible flaws with this logic.

Let's just ignore all of this for a second...
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=source+engine+multicore
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=unreal+engine+multicore
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=unity+engine+multicore
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=list+of+multicore+games
...because clearly it's all wrong and apparently games are literally the only class of programs that do not utilize multiple cores.

Let's just totally ignore that it's the OS's job to schedule jobs, and the CPU's job to execute instructions, and pretend that games execute directly on the metal through some unknown mechanism (well, I guess Kyure knows since it exists in his imagination lol).

(But seriously, no I have not noticed that because it's not true...)

Originally Posted by Neko View Post
Even morrowind and oblivion were multithreaded and they came out God knows how long ago.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015...adcore-gaming/

Tahdah.

Read up before you posting dumb things based on nothing.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015...adcore-gaming/

Tahdah.

Read up before you posting dumb things based on nothing.

You seem to have SERIOUSLY misinterpreted that article.

Firstly, they say that "more than 4 cores" is not necessary (which is already multicore, they are saying that 4 cores is all you need at the moment) - THEY ARE ADVOCATING MULTICORE FOR GAMING.

Secondly, the reason they say that more than 4 cores is not necessary is twofold, because as you add more cores the GPU is more likely to be the bottleneck, and because CPUs with higher levels of parallelism frequently do so at the cost of clock speed thus reducing performance of critical threads (eg the game loop).

Here's a few quotes to help you out:
"Anandtech has some benchmarks of Star Swarm, a demo designed to show DX12’s new multi-threading prowess at its very best. And it shows zero benefit beyond four cores."

"As for individual game titles, I’m sure some of you could find a game that runs faster on six or possibly even eight Intel cores. But they are very few and very far between. Check out these numbers on Bit-Tech for Battlefield 4, a game supposedly renown for scaling beyond four cores. Yup, thoroughly GPU limited."

"Put it altogether and being stuck on four cores for desktop PCs ought to be a major problem for gaming. And yet it isn’t. Four cores is enough."

So to reiterate once more:
1. Almost all games are multithreaded and run multicore.
2. Single threaded applications benefit from multiple cores.
3. I don't know where the hell you got this bizarre idea that games aren't multithreaded, but it is 100% false.
4. If you are going to post a citation and TALK SHIT then you better make sure you actually read what you are posting beforehand.

Firstly, they say that "more than 4 cores" is not necessary (which is already multicore, they are saying that 4 cores is all you need at the moment) - THEY ARE ADVOCATING MULTICORE FOR GAMING.

Secondly, the reason they say that more than 4 cores is not necessary is twofold, because as you add more cores the GPU is more likely to be the bottleneck, and because CPUs with higher levels of parallelism frequently do so at the cost of clock speed thus reducing performance of critical threads (eg the game loop).

"Anandtech has some benchmarks of Star Swarm, a demo designed to show DX12’s new multi-threading prowess at its very best. And it shows zero benefit beyond four cores."

"As for individual game titles, I’m sure some of you could find a game that runs faster on six or possibly even eight Intel cores. But they are very few and very far between. Check out these numbers on Bit-Tech for Battlefield 4, a game supposedly renown for scaling beyond four cores. Yup, thoroughly GPU limited."

"Put it altogether and being stuck on four cores for desktop PCs ought to be a major problem for gaming. And yet it isn’t. Four cores is enough."

3. I don't know where the hell you got this bizarre idea that games aren't multithreaded, but it is 100% false.
4. If you are going to post a citation and TALK SHIT then you better make sure you actually read what you are posting beforehand.

You go gurl.

Seriously, I read the article as soon as I saw his reply.
I couldn't be more dumb founded that he searched up something to support his proposition and then gave evidence against it

edit: on the brightside, you've made me feel a lot better about my choice of hardware for my new computer that I've recently ordered

tl;dr rant.

BACK TO TOPIC
Zenboy, all you need is the following :
Intel i5-6400 (if you dont overclock)/i5 6600k (if you overclock)
GTX 970 or R9 290/390 (best value/performance cards)
~20$ CPU Cooler
any B150 board with DDR4 support or Z170 if OC (look out for the features you want, m.2 slots are nice)
8GB RAM (always as a dual kit, can be upgraded in the future)
500W PSU (pretty much for these components but I like to have room for future additions, Corsair CX Series)
Midi Tower of your choice
120GB SSD (m.2 recommanded, otherwise sata)
1TB HDD (salvage it from your old computer if you want to, otherwise buy a new one)
Windows 7/8.1/10

roughly 800-850$
Last edited by Mongius; Oct 30, 2015 at 02:08 PM.
Got any problems or questions about computers or any other tech?Feel free to PM me any time. Lmod for Computer/Mobile Chat
Originally Posted by Mongius View Post
tl;dr rant.

ZENBOY sent me additional PM:
Originally Posted by ZENBOY123
I am in a hurry to play Rust so I am also working on PC3, a 400-500$ Budget Build. It's a build while I wait for PC2 so it doesn't need to be too fancy. If it can run Rust it should be good. ^_^ So yeah I might need some help with that So for PC3 if it can run Rust at 30FPS consistently then I'll be happy. Suggestions? We don't need to overkill this or make it a good performance build really. All I really need from this is for it to run Rust at 30FPS consistently. Thanks again ^_^

This was my reply:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kvB47P
GTX 750Ti
X4 860K with 212 Evo Cooler
Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H
8GB DDR3
EVGA 500B

Basically the same as the build you suggested Mong, but with less upgradeability, and cheaper. It would be possible to scale down some parts on the build you suggested if ZENBOY wants to have upgradability (which would save you some money ZENBOY because I think otherwise you plan to build PC2 which could be built by upgrading parts on this build rather than starting again).

I believe this pm relates to a different build (because he wants to play Rust :P), and this thread relates to a more powerful computer that he wants to build later on.
Yeah and then there's the first thread for The Beast which will be built eventually :P
To summarize for everyone:
This Thread=For Powerful but not Overkill Computer
Old Thread=For The Beast which is Overkill
The PM to Immortal=For a Budget Build to play Rust on

Thanks for the suggestions btw everyone. Mongius is that sufficient for my uses? If you didn't see the post for the uses I can quote it.
-----
That awkward moment you realize you need to start tagging your parts lists because you have so many of them.
Last edited by Merc; Oct 30, 2015 at 07:57 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
| Leader of FC | Loans | ABD Enthusiast |
Can I ask why you're getting 3 PCs?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[4:37 PM] ponf: y'all might think i'm not wild enough to send dick pics over toribash
[4:37 PM] ponf: you'd be wrong
uwu i wuv you uwu