Toribash
Original Post
Kepler-22b
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE.
-------
Kepler-22b is a planet identical to earth which was discovered recently.
The fantastic thing is that due to the same temperature and water on Kepler, it is a possibilty that it may contain life (eg. Inhabited).
If this is all true then the possibilty of finding new species of animal is very likely! Dinosaurs for instance! I think this is a big step in our history book.

What are your thoughts on this?
Originally Posted by MintCat View Post
Kepler-22b is a planet identical to earth which was discovered recently.

Be very careful with that word "identical." Because we don't yet know the mass of the planet, we don't know its composition - which is a very important part of determining its habitability. If it does in fact contain water, though, I'd say that there's a pretty decent chance of there being life of some sort (However, said life could be pretty simple in nature and, I suspect, not 'intelligent' life).

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
DONSELUKE, MASTER OF LAWSUIT
if you love america please sign this petition
B&B&B&
Okay, good point there hanz0.
However, I think the most exciting thing about the planet is the thought of it containing different species of animal to ours. Imagine extinct species just living on Kepler or species we do not know of yet.
People who believe in aliens may be right. Anything could be on that planet.
Originally Posted by MintCat View Post
Okay, good point there hanz0.
However, I think the most exciting thing about the planet is the thought of it containing different species of animal to ours. Imagine extinct species just living on Kepler or species we do not know of yet.
People who believe in aliens may be right. Anything could be on that planet.

It's unlikely that it would have developed life in a similar fashion to earth, it is very, very unlikely that it would have animals. It's best that you stay away from scientific terms, 'creatures' would be more appropriate.
Last edited by Vox; Dec 12, 2011 at 08:09 PM.
I for one, would be impressed if it even had so much as alien pond scum.

Whilst it is interesting to learn of possible alien life, I have more often than not seen things like these descend into "Oh, it actually wasn't what we thought it was, sorry guys" or "Someone goofed up, there's no chance of life."
Originally Posted by 4zb41 View Post

Whilst it is interesting to learn of possible alien life, I have more often than not seen things like these descend into "Oh, it actually wasn't what we thought it was, sorry guys" or "Someone goofed up, there's no chance of life."

See: composition of the planet. The habitability of the planet seems to hinge in large part upon that.

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
DONSELUKE, MASTER OF LAWSUIT
if you love america please sign this petition
B&B&B&
Originally Posted by 4zb41 View Post

Originally Posted by hanz0 View Post
See: composition of the planet. The habitability of the planet seems to hinge in large part upon that.

What hanz0 said is true, but I'd also add that we don't know to what extent life can exist in yet, it's entirely possible that we will find creatures that evolved in pools of mercury or a gasius soup, rather than (where the consensus on abiogenesis puts us right now) the bottom of our oceans. It is also possible for space debris to seed life on less likely planets, giving them a head start. See: Panspermia.
Last edited by Vox; Dec 12, 2011 at 08:15 PM.
I don't think there is any life on any other planet.So there might be animals.Maybe,But like hanz0 said,no intelligent life.
Originally Posted by ShadesOfPale View Post
I don't think there is any life on any other planet.So there might be animals.Maybe,But like hanz0 said,no intelligent life.

Seriously now? You got to be kidding me...

So, in a billion million QUADRILLION of planets and solar systems only Earth, a tiny dust bite in Space is filled with intelligent beings?

That is just being Ignorant. There is surely somewhere in the deep space a intelligent race, hell, there is probably so many of them you could not even count them if you lived forever.

OnTopic:

Well, if the planet HAS somekind of species on it, i would be glad to hear more about it, new things getting discovered, maybe even new materials can come from it.

But it will probably pass atleast 1 million years until Humans perfect nuclear fusion and space travel.
You thought you can kill me? Well I am already dead. So Fuck you and your inbred son in law.
Originally Posted by Deathdude9 View Post
Seriously now? You got to be kidding me...

So, in a billion million QUADRILLION of planets and solar systems only Earth, a tiny dust bite in Space is filled with intelligent beings?

That is just being Ignorant. There is surely somewhere in the deep space a intelligent race, hell, there is probably so many of them you could not even count them if you lived forever.

OnTopic:

Well, if the planet HAS somekind of species on it, i would be glad to hear more about it, new things getting discovered, maybe even new materials can come from it.

But it will probably pass atleast 1 million years until Humans perfect nuclear fusion and space travel.

Your response in undebateable.
I can't prove they don't exsist.You can't prove they do exsist.

Ontopic:I don't think its possible that we can find anything new.I would like to but this is just the same concept of unawnserable questions.
I do hope we can find something on the planet.However I don't think the condisions can be surviveable.
Last edited by ShadesOfPale; Dec 14, 2011 at 12:17 AM.