Toribash
Original Post
Crossfire question
Is it possible to crossfire an ati radeon 5450 with a 5770?

My 5450 is all alone in my closet collecting dust and it makes me sad that it isn't doing anything.

[Evil] is recruiting!

<DesiTwist> terty plays tb with the ghost turned off, uke turned off and uses that mouse with the ball in it
With this new "concept" mobo, ROG, it is. I put this in quotes because they called it a concept board but they have pictures of the final product.
It's the ASUS Immensity ROG.
http://www.techpowerup.com/123834/AS...therboard.html
It is to have an onboard ATI 5000series card(either a 5770 or 5450) and the ability to use both ATI and Nvidia at the SAME time! So yes you can have 2 different ATI cards.
For processors it supports ALL(or so it says)Pentium 4 and up. Somewhere it also said that some single core processors outclassed dual cores on it.
It also raised the max 3Dmark score by a couple thousand.

Keep in mind though that this is not released and is most likely not going to be released for a little while still.
Originally Posted by Yourface View Post
With this new "concept" mobo, ROG, it is. I put this in quotes because they called it a concept board but they have pictures of the final product.
It's the ASUS Immensity ROG.
http://www.techpowerup.com/123834/AS...therboard.html
It is to have an onboard ATI 5000series card(either a 5770 or 5450) and the ability to use both ATI and Nvidia at the SAME time! So yes you can have 2 different ATI cards.
For processors it supports ALL(or so it says)Pentium 4 and up. Somewhere it also said that some single core processors outclassed dual cores on it.
It also raised the max 3Dmark score by a couple thousand.

Keep in mind though that this is not released and is most likely not going to be released for a little while still.

Shutup.

The correct answer is that you can't on your hardware, and you can't on any hardware that isn't utilizing a Lucid Hydra chip.
<Tapion> Salmon is nice fish
You shut up.

I was only going by what I was told by about 10 people.... and now after reading more.... different things are saying different things.
One says that it's to use nvidia and ati at the same time. Another says it's to run 2 different ati/nvidia cards...
one says that it supports almost all processors, one says just 1366 socket.
Originally Posted by sprooj View Post
Shutup.

The correct answer is that you can't on your hardware, and you can't on any hardware that isn't utilizing a Lucid Hydra chip.

^ It's all cuz of the Hydra chip, not really any certain mobo.

And the ones that do that are extremely expensive. It would be easier to just buy a new card.

Even with hydra, it is more efficient to crossfire two identical cards (not brandwise, but like HIS 5770 and ASUS 5770)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
Nope, you can't. Unless you use the hydra chip, like they said.

Info about CrossfireX:
http://game.amd.com/us-en/crossfirex_about.aspx

Combination chart: http://game.amd.com/us-en/content/im...ombo_chart.jpg

Also, you can't crossfire on just any motherboard. You need one that has a chipset supporting crossfirex. (the same is true about SLI)
Last edited by GenkiSudo; Jun 10, 2010 at 04:59 PM.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
Well I have a crossfire compatible asus motherboard and I have the 5450 connected aswell as the 5770, it lists them both but it doesn't say anything about using them independantly, it just says heres your current adapter, and heres your disabled one.

I thought you could use them in crossfire through the ati software.

[Evil] is recruiting!

<DesiTwist> terty plays tb with the ghost turned off, uke turned off and uses that mouse with the ball in it
Yeah, you can't enable them both at the same time. How crossfire works is that they pretty much take turns rendering the frames, splits the load between each one. You'll see more improvement on high res/low framerate games. Not so much on older ones.

The 5450 is a damn weak card. No way to really argue with that, cuz there was better stuff all the way back in 2002, measuring with just bandwidth. It doesn't even score 1000 in 3D mark vantage. Don't think that you'd see much of a boost anyway.

If I were you, I'd leave the card in an old computer and save up for another 5770.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
Yea I know its a very weak card and I know how crossfire works, I was just wondering if I could possibly use it.

It's been sitting in my closet all alone for awhile.

I'll probably just sell it.

[Evil] is recruiting!