Toribash
dont forget that openers also differ in effect depending on environment settings, like gravity, ED, EH, MF, TF, env objects, instagib on/off, etc etc etc
Ah, forgot about the grip factor. In fact the number of openers would then be 160 000 x 4 x 160 000 x 4 = 4096 000 000 00 different openers as you have to take the grip factor into consideration in the first turn and not only the second. :P

Environmental settings doesn't really matter as I wrote 256 000 000 00 (4096 000 000 00) different openers per mode. It's only interesting if you want to know what each opener will lead to in a certain mode.
Last edited by Chronos; Oct 3, 2008 at 03:09 PM.
Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
Ah, forgot about the grip factor.

Environmental settings doesn't really matter as I wrote 256 000 000 00 (1024 000 000 00) different openers per mode. It's only interesting if you want to know what each opener will lead to in a certain mode.

Btw, ignore my last post, what you calculated were not correct in any case.

I made a thread with some filthy huge numbers in it:

http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=53576

Correct me if anything is wrong.
Personally i don't mind it, but really, if you manage to make yourself a good opener,
it's going to score you a lot of wins because people haven't seen it before. Now,
this is going to sound pretty stupid, but me for example, i made a good kick for
Wushu, and it took a lot of people by surprise. Now i've seen that it's a bit more
common, and it doesn't have that "shock value" any more. But hey, i don't mind
it at all! People copying a move means that it's a good move, usually. Not saying
that what i made is good, of course, it was just an example.
TL;DR: If people don't want to make their own moves, and instead uses other
known moves, let them. It's not like the end of the world, and as Chozo said,
it can help people get better.
Last edited by Shook; Oct 5, 2008 at 03:38 PM.
<Blam|Homework> oiubt veubg
various places to find me lol
I once 'made' a very simple wushu opener that i was very proud of, because of its simplicity. I then used it in MP and people started screaming "Wiki! Wiki!"
I have STILL not looked at the wiki to this day, no matter what opener you use, it is always extremely similar to another one.

This one I use for wushu has over 40 different moves from the first turn.
A low sweep.
A rotating high backwards kick.
A mid-air spin which puts you on your hands.

That's just 3.
I made all of those up on the fly, and I can never remember the exact moves for each, because I improvise every single match. If you start a match with the intent on using a fixed move, then you will lose. TB is all about adaption, hence my favorite mod: Betabox.
I'd like to see Hulk get so pissed that he exits his physical body.
Instead of being powered by psychic energy or whatever, he's powered by ARRRGH FUCK YOU
Originally Posted by CMon View Post
Actually there are 256 000 000 00 x 4 different openers. Keep in mind that you also turn grip on/off:

Non-grip | Non-grip
Grip | Non-grip
Non-grip | Grip
Grip | Grip

= 1024 000 000 00 different openers.

Fun fact: I once actually calculated the number of theoretically possible outcomes in a toribash match lasting 120 frames without dq, dismemberment or fracture.

How the hell did you find that out ??!! O_O
Helge Sverre - System Developer
https://helgesverre.com
Originally Posted by avwave View Post
KiTFoX... don't get me wrong or anything... but you just contradicted the heck out of yourself.

I said I made the kicks people are using, I didn't call them MY kicks. No contradiction there mate. :P
speaking of stealing moves...

i just posted a Judo lua script on the lua section. it uses moves from some of the best black belt Judo players.

is that stealing peoples moves?
i agree with refining moves. one of my best openers was originally based on the standard judo kick. However, ive added a lot of nuance and alterations to it. I've modified it so that it'll spit someone in judo, and about half to a quarter of the time it'll take an arm off even in akido settings. I have actually never seen someone else use it like i do.