Ranking
hanz0, you have to know that you are a great person. If you ever happen to think otherwise, just remember that you are a great person.

Now, I was about to write a long and detailed post about your greatness, but I figured it'd probably get mighty weird even if this board is to show people that ToriLegends are awesome, so I decided against it and summarized it to the above sentence.

You're great. Stay great. The world needs your greatness. You'll save the world by just being there.

The worrrllllldd.
Firstly I'd like to say that I concur with everything Tonakai stated above, regardless of having never spoken to you directly. I'm intrigued by your insights/knowledge in many fields and admire your passion for medicine. Your comics are pretty awesome too.

Aside from that, I'd like to ask your opinion on a couple things.

For a little background, I'm currently a Freshman in HS, making me 15. I have yet to develop a passion for really much of anything. How did you come to realize your interest in medicine? Did it stem from a natural aptitude for Science/Math? I've always had somewhat of a knack for mathematics, and many people often say that I ought to do something involving math, but at the same time, I can't say it really interests me; it just kind of is what it is. So, how did you come to know you wanted to study medicine? Shit, that's redundant. Whatever.

Also, I plan to apply and (hopefully) attend this Residential high school for my junior and senior year. With this I'd be given the opportunity to pretty much study any field of science or mathematics I wish at Western Kentucky University. Any recommendations for where I could start (in regards to classes), should I get in? While I understand we probably have different tastes, I am interested to hear your opinion. Plus, while this may sound horrible, I have next to no strong interests/passions to go by at this point anyways.

Thanks. Not only for answering my questions, but for making Toribash and its forums much more enjoyable place to be.
Last edited by Fancy; Apr 26, 2014 at 12:33 AM.
[i]nquisition
nothing much

Originally Posted by Tonakai View Post
hanz0, you have to know that you are a great person. If you ever happen to think otherwise, just remember that you are a great person.

Now, I was about to write a long and detailed post about your greatness, but I figured it'd probably get mighty weird even if this board is to show people that ToriLegends are awesome, so I decided against it and summarized it to the above sentence.

You're great. Stay great. The world needs your greatness. You'll save the world by just being there.

The worrrllllldd.

Thanks toankoanirkai, I appreciate it.
the woooooooooooorrrrrrrllllllllllllllllld

Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
Firstly I'd like to say that I concur with everything Tonakai stated above, regardless of having never spoken to you directly. I'm intrigued by your insights/knowledge in many fields and admire your passion for medicine. Your comics are pretty awesome too.

Aside from that, I'd like to ask your opinion on a couple things.

For a little background, I'm currently a Freshman in HS, making me 15. I have yet to develop a passion for really much of anything. How did you come to realize your interest in medicine? Did it stem from a natural aptitude for Science/Math? I've always had somewhat of a knack for mathematics, and many people often say that I ought to do something involving math, but at the same time, I can't say it really interests me; it just kind of is what it is. So, how did you come to know you wanted to study medicine? Shit, that's redundant. Whatever.

Also, I plan to apply and (hopefully) attend this Residential high school for my junior and senior year. With this I'd be given the opportunity to pretty much study any field of science or mathematics I wish at Western Kentucky University. Any recommendations for where I could start (in regards to classes), should I get in? While I understand we probably have different tastes, I am interested to hear your opinion. Plus, while this may sound horrible, I have next to no strong interests/passions to go by at this point anyways.

Thanks. Not only for answering my questions, but for making Toribash and its forums much more enjoyable place to be.

Hey,

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I was lucky to be raised such that I can pretty easily get interested and excited about most anything (which, to me, explains my fairly wide knowledge base and academic success despite very minimal "studying" in the traditional sense - I'd love to chat about that sometime as well), but to be honest I didn't have a strong passion for medicine in high school either.

Like you I did tend to gravitate towards the 'hard' sciences (I did very well with calculus and biology/chemistry) but it wasn't one of those things where I knew I wanted to be a doctor since age 6, studied every night to prepare for that, had to get perfect grades or oh no I won't get into college or medical school, bla bla bla. To me that stereotype doesn't describe a learner or someone who'll be a good doctor and it's a bit frustrating when people laud that sort of approach to academics because it's just not a good way to go about it.

As to how I decided to go into medicine - my mother's a physician so I had a decent (abstract) idea of what the career entailed. I suppose I did sort of go along the "I'm good in math and science, I'll be a doctor" route, and it's only in the past couple of years that I've been doing things to really confirm that it's something I want to do. Fortunately working in the hospital and truly interacting with patients has been a really great experience so far, so I think I'm still on the right path!

My advice to you is to avoid doing things in academia purely because you 'have to'. Do things because they're really interesting and you think they're neat, not because "I want to be X, therefore I must do A, B and C and I must do them perfectly". The latter, to me, is a surefire way to kill your passion for anything because it turns all the interesting stuff between you and your goal into a bunch of minutiae, just means to your end. Obviously that doesn't mean "do whatever sounds fun"; if you decide to do something then you do have to do prerequisites, certain classes, whatever. But try to remember when you're doing those things that they exist because they're each an interesting topic in their own right, not simply as stepping stones to your goal.

That program looks pretty neat. Definitely going to be competitive and challenging but if you get in and you can manage the work it'll be a fantastic experience. Looks like math gets assigned based on your previous coursework, core science is more or less set, but as far as electives go... Astronomy is really interesting if they bring in astrophysics and basic relativity (I'm currently reading about cosmology and astrophysics and quantum physics for fun), as a biochem major I'm always interested in bio and chem (though the quality of the course may vary depending on your professor and your ability to learn stuff on your own initiative), math can really be interesting and fun if you get a professor who's passionate about it, intro physics has some interesting bits but overall I find the advanced stuff more exciting, and psychology is really neat. So really all of the options have the potential to be great - if you get in you should look into the descriptions and see what piques your interest.

Hope that extended rambling helps.

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
DONSELUKE, MASTER OF LAWSUIT
if you love america please sign this petition
B&B&B&
Ahh, awesome, this is fantastic. Thank you.
[i]nquisition
nothing much

heeey hanz0 ol' buddy!

Long time no see! Glad to see you're still going strong in the Toribash world!

I wish I never strayed so far from it, feels so awkward whenever I try to get back into it now! I like to poke my head into the forums every now and then to look around for the old school people I used to know!

Good Luck, Have Fun! Maybe I'll practice a bit and make an epic comeback?!

See ya around!
<3 Toribash!
HI GENX000 HI

I still remember when I first got Market mod and recruited you to help me move all the threads to the proper boards. That was a hell of an undertaking.

Hope you're doing well!

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
B&B&B&
I just have to pay my respect to you.

A bit less than a year ago, I showed a classmate of mine, now-girlfriend (we just started talking at this point), your webcomic series. She loved it, and I can't help but think that you indirectly aided me in making us begin dating (you created our first noticed common interest). We even now still keep up with it. :P

Anyways, I've always been a big fan of your art, and its awesome to see someone being so successful in and outside of Toribash. Good luck with entrance into Med School, and thanks for being such an awesome Toribash member.
Last edited by Muur; May 3, 2014 at 01:18 AM.
DAMN.
Originally Posted by Muur View Post
I just have to pay my respect to you.

A bit less than a year ago, I showed a classmate of mine, now-girlfriend (we just started talking at this point), your webcomic series. She loved it, and I can't help but think that you indirectly aided me in making us begin dating (you created our first noticed common interest). We even now still keep up with it. :P

Anyways, I've always been a big fan of your art, and its awesome to see someone being so successful in and outside of Toribash. Good luck with entrance into Med School, and thanks for being such an awesome Toribash member.

That's pretty cool, thanks! My updates haven't been very regular lately but I haven't forgotten about it.

Blatant referral link: Minimum had a free weekend beta test this weekend and I played it and it was pretty fun though it could use quite a bit of development. If you sign up for early access through my referral thing you can help me get this weird-looking gun:

B&B&B&
May I ask what's up with you and this bee kick? I mean, the space and bees thing was soo 2012, am I right?
X|Twitter: @YRBWrld |-| FB: @YRBWrldFP
Discord: Discord Me