Ranking
Original Post
First CSGO Edit
As many or some people may know, I recently bought and built a computer better suited for gaming and video recording, editing, etc. So given that, I've been messing around with some programs, etc for a little bit just doing some testing and what not. I still have quite a bit I need to learn about Sony Vegas however I'm pretty much a novice.

I would eventually like to start making more and more videos and progress while doing so, and sooner or later make good quality, edited videos.
However, as of now I'm posting my first video I've edited. Please take into consideration there aren't really any effects in the video because I'm not really sure how to add them/do them in the program just yet. This was mostly trying to sync the video to music, and also cutting out frags, etc from a recording.
If there is anyone who would like to help me learn how to properly do/add visual effects I'd be more than welcoming for you to teach me.

I probably should have recorded in higher graphics, and without netgraph on but I didn't so... \o/ I also don't feel like re-recording and re-editing so not going to happen this time. Will do this in future edits though.

TLDR
Programs Used; Vegas Pro 14.0, Xsplit Broadcaster
First edited video, want CnC/tips/help
Music: Meg & Dia - Monster (DotEXE Dubstep Remix)

shit video eyes beware

Last edited by DruggedPanda; Oct 24, 2016 at 01:26 AM. Reason: added moosics
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SmallBowl] [fallu] [Moop] [Parrot] [SkulFuk] [Icky] [Sassy]
[Ex-MSquad]
Need help with any market related questions? Feel free to PM ME. <Powas> I've got a degree in 1001 techniques of masturbation
Well it's a start.

You should consider studying how movie are made and learn a things or two about it.

Per exemple, If I record something, I use an external hardware/server where i'll put all the "Rush", the "Rush" is EVERYTHING, in the video, in brut format, then you'll cut things from the rush to add them to your timeline and start your editing.

So as I was saying, try to study how they make movie in cinema, you'll learn plenty of things.

And if you're wondering, i'm a student with a speciality cinema (Which mean I have to study 6hours a week cinema, editing, etc)

Sony vegas is a pretty good tool, If you got a Mac, try to use "Final Cut" which is better and more simple to use than Sony vegas.
French Player, Old member of OFRO
Originally Posted by HawkeyeTFA View Post
Sony vegas is a pretty good tool, If you got a Mac, try to use "Final Cut" which is better and more simple to use than Sony vegas.

Yeah, don't get final cut pro. It doesn't support many of the plugins that are used for editing in sony vegas and after effects and it's missing so many of the features that are there by default.
And if you're wondering, i'm a student with a speciality cinema (Which mean I have to study 6hours a week cinema, editing, etc)

That doesn't make it any less useless, editing a movie and editing game clips are two extremely different things, unless you're really pretentious.

Anyway, I can see that you're trying to have some sort of sync to the video, but the way you do it can be improved. From what I can see, you drag the clip until the shot is synced (which is how I used to sync when i started) rather than increasing the velocity to sync it, which will give it more impact. This is a useful tutorial if you want to learn how to use velocity to sync first person shooters in sony vegas (1:22 is when it starts).

I noticed that there is really obnoxious hud in the bottom of the video. I personally don't get that in csgo so I don't know how to get rid of it, but definitely try to do that.

Your clips have black bars on the sides, so make sure you're recording in the right aspect ratio and that your game is in a resolution that will take up the whole screen. Common ones for recording are 1920 x 1080 and 1280 x 720, but feel free to go up to 4k if you have a beast of a computer.

My discord is Glimpsed#7133, if you have any questions.
Glimpsed
Originally Posted by Glimpsed View Post
Yeah, don't get final cut pro. It doesn't support many of the plugins that are used for editing in sony vegas and after effects and it's missing so many of the features that are there by default.

That doesn't make it any less useless, editing a movie and editing game clips are two extremely different things, unless you're really pretentious.

Final cut is obviously missing some little things, but using it is way more easy for people that just want to get started with editing, the design is more clean and obvious than in Final Cut.

Editing a Movie and Editing a game clips is obviously not the same, but they are major things that are in common between those.
Anyway, I can see that you're trying to have some sort of sync to the video, but the way you do it can be improved. From what I can see, you drag the clip until the shot is synced (which is how I used to sync when i started) rather than increasing the velocity to sync it, which will give it more impact. This is a useful tutorial if you want to learn how to use velocity to sync first person shooters in sony vegas (1:22 is when it starts).

That video is a bit useful, thanks.
I'll be sure to look into doing this in the future, and play around with it a bit.

I noticed that there is really obnoxious hud in the bottom of the video. I personally don't get that in csgo so I don't know how to get rid of it, but definitely try to do that.

Yea, I stated this in the original post. It's the netgraph it usually shows important information for me, ping, fps, etc. Lets me know if I'm lagging or w/e in the game. I stated that for future videos I'd disable it while recording, I had just forgot to at this point in time. I also could have recorded with max settings on, but forgot to as well.

Your clips have black bars on the sides, so make sure you're recording in the right aspect ratio and that your game is in a resolution that will take up the whole screen. Common ones for recording are 1920 x 1080 and 1280 x 720, but feel free to go up to 4k if you have a beast of a computer.

This is probably due to me recording in 1280x720, so I should record the resolution of my screen? I'm assuming while rendering it with Vegas at a resolution it would not give me a black bar when degrading?

Well it's a start.

You should consider studying how movie are made and learn a things or two about it.

Per exemple, If I record something, I use an external hardware/server where i'll put all the "Rush", the "Rush" is EVERYTHING, in the video, in brut format, then you'll cut things from the rush to add them to your timeline and start your editing.

I've looked into how videos are made, not particularly movies, but videos.
I don't have any external hardware to capture my screen, I just use Xsplit Broadcaster to capture/record which lets me still cut things and add them to the timeline in Vegas.

Yea, I have Windows 10 as my operating system so not going to work lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[Ex-MSquad]
Need help with any market related questions? Feel free to PM ME. <Powas> I've got a degree in 1001 techniques of masturbation
There's a little bit of inconsistency with when you do and don't use transitions. Sometimes you give a black screen, other times there's a transition. While some variety with transitioning between clips can be good, I think that looks a little bad.

Showing the scope zoomed in for a little over seven seconds in the beginning is a little unnecessary. My guess is that you did this to add time so you could sync easier. Rather than doing that, you should try to have a little more time in a variety of clips and spread it out more. Not only does it make that section a little boring (7 seconds is a lot in a 38 second video), it takes away from how skillful the shot looks and makes it a little underwhelming, especially since the shot didn't sync with the music either.

Overall though, it's pretty good for your first edit. Much better than my first was, not that I'm very good. Try getting a few more clips next time, so you'll be able to fill in some black spaces and make good-looking transitions a lot easier.

Originally Posted by DruggedPanda View Post

I've looked into how videos are made, not particularly movies, but videos.
I don't have any external hardware to capture my screen, I just use Xsplit Broadcaster to capture/record which lets me still cut things and add them to the timeline in Vegas.

Yea, I have Windows 10 as my operating system so not going to work lol

I mean an external hardware where you could put all the video files in brut format, (I don't know if we understood each other on that). Like everything you record from A to Z , the "Rush" basically.

About Xsplit, you should move to something more reliable , OBS is pretty good in my opinion
Final cut is obviously missing some little things, but using it is way more easy for people that just want to get started with editing, the design is more clean and obvious than in Final Cut.

Editing a Movie and Editing a game clips is obviously not the same, but they are major things that are in common between those.

Final Cut is missing huge things. A simplified version of a simple video editing software is redundant and not useful for anything but putting clips together with transitions or using stock intros.

Anyway, 1280x720 is widescreen.. since your video is rendered in 720p, it seems that you need to right click the video > properties > maintain aspect ratio.
Originally Posted by Kaneki333 View Post
I'm Brazilian, i'm alredy fucked every day i wake up

Originally Posted by shinitai View Post
There's a little bit of inconsistency with when you do and don't use transitions. Sometimes you give a black screen, other times there's a transition. While some variety with transitioning between clips can be good, I think that looks a little bad.

Yea, I'm not really quite sure how to add transitions.
The black screens are there to pretty much sync the music (if I knew how to add a transition or had footage to cover/fill the black screens I would have done that, but this was my first edit. I did however discover/find out that you could use the black screen as a transition though.
Thanks for the input

Showing the scope zoomed in for a little over seven seconds in the beginning is a little unnecessary. My guess is that you did this to add time so you could sync easier. Rather than doing that, you should try to have a little more time in a variety of clips and spread it out more. Not only does it make that section a little boring (7 seconds is a lot in a 38 second video), it takes away from how skillful the shot looks and makes it a little underwhelming, especially since the shot didn't sync with the music either.

I didn't actually realize it was like 7 seconds long tbh, I should have maybe cut it down a little bit.
Thanks for pointing that out, I'll be more careful next time and pay attention to timing/length of things.

Overall though, it's pretty good for your first edit. Much better than my first was, not that I'm very good. Try getting a few more clips next time, so you'll be able to fill in some black spaces and make good-looking transitions a lot easier.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback and CnC.
All of these were from one competitive match, I'll look into recording more shots from different games, etc and putting them together to get a smoother/filled video.

I mean an external hardware where you could put all the video files in brut format, (I don't know if we understood each other on that). Like everything you record from A to Z , the "Rush" basically.

I think maybe your native language isn't English or you're just not sure how to explain the matter which is causing me confusion in what you're trying to say. What you're trying to say I think now, is that you store the raw footage/videos (unedited) on a harddrive and then use those unedited footages to snip, etc.

If that's the case, that is what I'm doing. But this doesn't require an external hardware. Noted, you could use an external harddrive to store the videos but quite unnecessary if you've got the space on your harddrives already in the PC.

About Xsplit, you should move to something more reliable , OBS is pretty good in my opinion

I've found Xsplit broadcaster to be quite reliable, I'm not sure what you've got against it apart from the fact that OBS is free and Xsplit isn't. However, I got 2 yrs free of Xsplit premium so why not use it? I actually quite like the program. I've tried OBS before and have had issues with setting it up, haven't had any issues with Xsplit though.

Originally Posted by TyZi View Post
Anyway, 1280x720 is widescreen.. since your video is rendered in 720p, it seems that you need to right click the video > properties > maintain aspect ratio.

Hmm, well my screen resolution is 1920x1080p which is the same aspect ratio as 1280x720p.
I'm not sure what I rendered as in Vegas, but it was something x720p.

Not quite sure why there are black bars in this case then.
Next time I'll just record in my natural resolution though and see if that does anything.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[Ex-MSquad]