Ranking
Originally Posted by 2worlds View Post
Just to clarify, people seem to have this misconception about cloning. It's not like you enter a chamber and outside of another chamber comes another exact version of you, same age, same hair, etc. To my best understanding, and maybe someone can help expand/correct me on this, what happens is they take a sample of your DNA then go through the process of making life. In other words, the clone still has to go through the stages of life, fetus, baby, etc. but it should be an exact DNA replica of the clone-e. As to looking and thinking like the clone-e, that would be hard to replicate since part of the way you look/think is how you were raised. I have piercings/tattoos because I grew up on the counter-culture, but maybe my clone will experience a different raising and have different beliefs.

You've got the essentials down.

Originally Posted by T0ribush View Post
The idea of warping across space requires a clone. They put you into a chamber, than create an exact replica of you on the other side of the galaxy, Memories, thought and experience intact, but they destroy the original.

You, on the other hand, are pretty blatantly just making stuff up. We are talking about cloning. Do me a favor and learn what cloning, in the scientific context, is before you post more nonsense. I'll give you a hint: It's not "wow you step in this cool machine and then a copy of you is created in another machine so amazing".
Last edited by hanz0; Jun 29, 2013 at 06:30 AM.

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
DONSELUKE, MASTER OF LAWSUIT
if you love america please sign this petition
B&B&B&
Originally Posted by hanz0 View Post
I didn't realize that people's genomes were public domain now.

^ Means it might be illegal. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be doable. Mofos could easily steal some DNA for their own usage from someone of their choosing, especially if he's retired and / or living normally. Probably from celebs too, if perpetrators got what it takes.
Last edited by JSnuffMARS; Jun 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM.
Originally Posted by hanz0 View Post
I didn't realize that cloning created someone the same age as you.

... What?

"I didn't realize that cloning created someone the same age as you."

hanz0, the master of strawmanning people's arguments.
Gamemaster -- Need help? Click here!
I'm like... supposed to advocate for Team Aikido or something. Click that link if you're great at aikido.
Originally Posted by Nigma View Post
Let's say they were to clone someone , all they'd clone is the body , which would have no soul . Essentially making it an empty vessel , which could be possessed by a demon.

Originally Posted by BoredPayne
You can try and split hairs here all day if you want, but ultimately you're denigrating religious people as having inferior thought processes to yourself, and it's pretty childish to defend such an idea.

Dat high level thought processes.
Originally Posted by Nigma View Post
This could only result in something bad/corrupt in my opinion.
Let's say they were to clone someone , all they'd clone is the body , which would have no soul . Essentially making it an empty vessel , which could be possessed by a demon.
Probably sounds far fetched to the majority of you but i happen to be somewhat of a Christian - even though i hardly attend church anymore - but this is something i've heard being spoken about many times , and i do believe in God, i know there's a satan and i also believe there's a place called Heaven and one called hell.

None of the other clones that have been produced (or grown? what is the word I am looking for?) so far seem to have encountered this problem. I thought most Christians believed that animals didn't have souls anyway, so I guess there is nothing stopping Beelzebub from possessing my dog. Given this startling new information I guess cloning is no more risky than owning a Springer Spaniel.
Last edited by Dr_Strangelove; Jun 29, 2013 at 05:27 PM.
[02:19] <Dr_Strangelove> nearly 3 hours of nobody saying a word
[02:19] * Tamer0 is now known as TamerAfk
[02:19] <Dr_Strangelove> gg toribash
[02:19] <+hampa> gg
Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove
Given this startling new information I guess cloning is no more risky than owning a Springer Spaniel.

You heard it here first.

Originally Posted by hanz0
Originally Posted by JSnuffMARS
^ Means it might be illegal. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be doable. Mofos could easily steal some DNA for their own usage from someone of their choosing, especially if he's retired and / or living normally. Probably from celebs too, if perpetrators got what it takes.

Hanz0, voice of the law.

Also, you could take anyone's DNA from hair, saliva or tissue and it's not illegal. And if some rich family took said dna from a genius and raised it as their child... it wouldn't be their child it would be more of an adopted child.
[TPO][OSG][ARA][Zero]
"and I have tons of friends" Deakster/Dickmaniac/Deak
Originally Posted by Zoro View Post
hanz0, the master of strawmanning people's arguments.

"Arguments" is a rather strong descriptor of those posts, I think.

I'm also unsure exactly what I'm misrepresenting about said posts. The points I brought up were all valid issues with the posts. Using a clone of yourself to undertake your responsibilities requires that the clone be the same age as you. Creating clone armies requires the same or accelerated aging or about 20 years of foresight. Cloning an individual other than yourself requires that you have access to their genomes.

Unless, of course, you were simply throwing around "OMG LOGICAL FALLACY" because you think it advances the discussion and/or makes you feel superior*. Sometimes people do that.

* This is the part where you go "OMG AD HOMINEM THAT MEANS I WIN THE ARGUMENT" and then nobody pays attention.

Originally Posted by NinjaVodou View Post
Also, you could take anyone's DNA from hair, saliva or tissue and it's not illegal. And if some rich family took said dna from a genius and raised it as their child... it wouldn't be their child it would be more of an adopted child.

Actually, it is illegal in several places. I expect the laws will spread/change if and when human cloning becomes legal/feasible/prevalent, but enforcement will be interesting - how do you punish the parents who do something like that? Do you fine them? You can't very well kill the child.

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
DONSELUKE, MASTER OF LAWSUIT
if you love america please sign this petition
B&B&B&
Imprisonment, I suppose. I don't see why a rich family would steal the DNA and risk it though, when they could probably find a genius donor easily enough.

In a way we have this to an extent already. Think sperm banks.
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
Imprisonment, I suppose. I don't see why a rich family would steal the DNA and risk it though, when they could probably find a genius donor easily enough.

In a way we have this to an extent already. Think sperm banks.

Why would you donate your DNA if you know there is going to be a high demand for it? It will probably end up being sold, rather than donated.

Another interesting question: Would DNA donor/sellers be allowed to remain anonymous? Will the clones be able to track down their "biological parent" (for lack of a better term) like the children of sperm donors? Will they count as or by treated as a next of kin?
[02:19] <Dr_Strangelove> nearly 3 hours of nobody saying a word
[02:19] * Tamer0 is now known as TamerAfk
[02:19] <Dr_Strangelove> gg toribash
[02:19] <+hampa> gg
Believe it or not, doing it with mouse cells are really different than doing it with human cells. Also, did you guys read the paper this is based on? I'll quote a sentence from first paragraph of its discussion:
Originally Posted by Kamimura et al
Mouse cloning is different from cloning in farm animals or other large animals in terms of
the protocols for preparing donor cells.

We are too far away from cloning humans, plus the misconception of the "cloning" term is too big. This paper was meant to show that mice can be cloned with this specifical method from peripherial blood cells nuclei. Also, terms like "clones" are on a daily basis on biotechnology.

Also, human genes cannot be patented.
Last edited by Tinerr; Jun 29, 2013 at 07:44 PM.