ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Upgrade tori control system | IK controls
In my opinion to upgrade tori control system developers should make something work similar to Maya 3d animation but with physics. I just want to say that it would be better to control tori by pulling parts of the body during turns. Watch this video and think about this idea
https://youtu.be/XII9aKbVXrg
Why it will upgrade toribash. You will have more precision. You will be able to have more control of your tori. Will be better to play mods. Just will be easier. You will be able to make more moves. I know it hard to make again tori control system but it will give to you more capabilities. I would like to see this system in toribash. Are you agree with my idea?

Lengthy post from snake

Example from cappuccino
Last edited by sir; Jan 17, 2018 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Uptade
If nobody in their right mind would want to learn the controls of the game, how come it's still alive after 13 years?
so far you haven't brought up any new points, so why revive this thread?
|Opener by Xioi|#KillTheScootCork|
|Replays|
"Cool delfin med solglajjor" -Larfen
Snip

Snake, I need to understand something, when you move the arm, lets say, from default tori position to 45° forward (half noobclap), and it has 50 turn frames, does it make a move to said position or translates the move in forces and keeps going next frames? Or does it make the movement in like, 20 turnframes and stays there the next 30? Or does it take the whole turn? I would like to see it taking the whole turn, so thay way one can have dynamic forces, our muscles don't work like relax/full force switches. But with the system of "you drag where you want and its gonna be there" ghost will disappear, but we can have the ghost of the frames from before, so we can read the situation, don't know.
And I insist that relax is something that should be there, because the moment you move the body to imitate that state, you lose, because isn't relaxed anymore, for example, you take a hit and its busted. And could work like joint reset too, for example, from default position, you move the whole arm up and also bending a little the elbow, then relax the elbow, and it backs to the position relative to where it was (basically straight arm), but with the shoulder still keeping the arm up, and the plus of the elbow moving wherever external or passive forces take it to.
Last edited by MariaVirgine; Jan 10, 2018 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Snip
Originally Posted by MariaVirgine View Post
Also, snake, I need to understand something, when you move the arm, lets say, from default tori position to 45° forward (half noobclap), and it has 50 turn frames, does it make a move to said position or translates the move in forces and keeps going next frames? Or does it make the movement in like, 20 turnframes and stays there the next 30? Or does it take the whole turn? I would like to see it taking the whole turn, so thay way one can have dynamic forces, our muscles don't work like relax/full force switches. But with the system of "you drag where you want and its gonna be there" ghost will disappear, but we can have the ghost of the frames from before, so we can read the situation, don't know.
And I insist that relax is something that should be there, because the moment you move the body to imitate that state, you lose, because isn't relaxed anymore, for example, you take a hit and its busted. And could work like joint reset too, for example, from default position, you move the whole arm up and also bending a little the elbow, then relax the elbow, and it backs to the position relative to where it was (basically straight arm), but with the shoulder still keeping the arm up, and the plus of the elbow moving wherever external or passive forces take it to.

There's not need to get personal with Mack, lets keep discussion objective based and not start insulting each other.

I agree with mack to a point as well, the replay making community will suffer, and many people will simply not see the point in putting in the effort to learn the new system. There will be people who decide to learn, and I'm sure their replays will be great too.
A possible solution to this problem would be a "segregated" replay making community where those that wish to stick with older versions of the controls could do so and still have a place to share their replays and those who want to move on have the same opportunity.

Toribash's learning curve is a very hotly debated topic, and there's no cut and dry solution to it, just as there is probably no perfect control system either.

Also, snake, I need to understand something, when you move the arm, lets say, from default tori position to 45° forward (half noobclap), and it has 50 turn frames, does it make a move to said position or translates the move in forces and keeps going next frames?

Or does it make the movement in like, 20 turnframes and stays there the next 30? Or does it take the whole turn? I would like to see it taking the whole turn, so thay way one can have dynamic forces, our muscles don't work like relax/full force switches.

But with the system of "you drag where you want and its gonna be there" ghost will disappear, but we can have the ghost of the frames from before, so we can read the situation, don't know.

i believe this would be an optimal and the most straightforward solution,

1) we are in default position
2) we make a move, hand forward
I. we grab the hand and we move it to desired position
II. the ghosts shows us the transition between default to desired position
3) it is a resolve time, so the body follows the ghost frames we've seen before, with the respect to the changes in the environment, for example the opponent got close to us and we end up hitting him, while the hand doesn't travel the entire path to the desired position
4) we see the current situation with the ghost projection if we don't do anything
5) we make a move, move another hand
6) we see a ghost follows us from previous position to the next one

yeah i see what you mean, err i don't know about that, i mean we need to think how to incorporate that in an elegant way, so far i can come up only with selecting some body parts with the brush that switch them to enabled / disabled, or what we know as relax, so they will just flop as dead and stay like this, without taking part in ghost movement while we make our move, so basically naturaly relaxed, lol

that would be my suggestion about it
Last edited by snake; Jan 7, 2018 at 10:57 PM.
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
You guys do understand that you don't need to fully extend and ctonract joints right? You can just hold them mid-movement or slow down a contracting joint with an extention for a frame or two and then hold it. It's not that hard. I made a replay down below demonstrating this. It took me about half a minute.

Besides, this mechanic will make replays so much more time consuming to do. just look at that vid of a robot throwing a ball. So much planning has to be put in every single movement, ending up in the video being 25 minutes long. This is not something fit for competetive play. Besides, it doesn't even look good. Maybe it'll be better with physics applied, but I think this will end up in making everything looking stiff as all hell since the relaxed joint state will be removed.

Throwing personal insults at me or anyone in a debate will only result in your argument being voided of importance and you just looking like an ass. Especially if it's motivated from the fact that you disagree with my opinion when I have no toxic intent towards anyone in the thread. So if you feel like roasting me, please just send me a pm instead to save yourself from embarrassment.
Attached Files
r.rpl (59.3 KB, 10 views)
|Replays|
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
You guys do understand that you don't need to fully extend and ctonract joints right? You can just hold them mid-movement or slow down a contracting joint with an extention for a frame or two and then hold it. It's not that hard. I made a replay down below demonstrating this. It took me about half a minute.

Besides, this mechanic will make replays so much more time consuming to do. just look at that vid of a robot throwing a ball. So much planning has to be put in every single movement, ending up in the video being 25 minutes long. This is not something fit for competetive play. Besides, it doesn't even look good. Maybe it'll be better with physics applied, but I think this will end up in making everything looking stiff as all hell since the relaxed joint state will be removed.

Throwing personal insults at me or anyone in a debate will only result in your argument being voided of importance and you just looking like an ass. Especially if it's motivated from the fact that you disagree with my opinion when I have no toxic intent towards anyone in the thread. So if you feel like roasting me, please just send me a pm instead to save yourself from embarrassment.

err nope, you didn't get it, the body does not return to the default T position after each turn....... it follows you to desired position and when it's the next turn, you move again from the last position it ended up like

there is no difference in replay made with joints or drag....

thats the point
tell me about aikido
Ok, but what's the point of changing the core function of the game if there is so little difference? The game is fine as it is, as I just demonstrated in that replay. And what about that relaxed movement that I mentioned? I feel like you're kind of cherry picking these arguments.
|Replays|
Trust me Mack, I've noticed that too. Snake seems to like to choose his arguments instead of voicing the whole thing. Kore put it really well. There's no need to get angry and insult everyone, just because we don't agree about a certain thing.

I'm not entirely sure who said it, but a relaxed state would have to be implemented. Maybe it could come in the sense of an enable-disable type switch like snake suggested, or maybe it could be an actual joint state as it is right now. I've said this before, but I like the current joint system as it is. I think a mix between click and drag and ball clicking would be ideal. That way, people can still use the ball clicking method to control, with click and drag for finer precision. I also believe that new joint states should be added, like wrist rotations and shoulder rotations. The glutes could use a touch-up as I mentioned.

One thing that I think would be cool that doesn't directly apply to controls would be the implementation of bending joints. You can extend your arm and contract it, but your arm has the potential to bend to the left or right a slight bit, like in irl. This would have to be an unintentional thing, like you're in an armbar and your opponent bends your arm backward more than it's supposed to go. It could bend a little but backward, and then fracture, if that makes sense.
Ok, but what's the point of changing the core function of the game if there is so little difference?

the difference is lowering the barrier to entry so people can pick it up easier than now, and also allowing more freedom in movement, such as wrists and shoulders rotation, hips and feet tilt, without introducing any extra complexity on the controls, due to control scheme being straightforward

you know, you need to install blender and download a ready rigged model to see what i mean. no worries blender is free and there are tons of rigged modes out there on the internets, also free

And what about that relaxed movement that I mentioned? I feel like you're kind of cherry picking these arguments.

i don't know what about it, i suggested to select parts that will be disabled and flop like dead in what we normally call a relax state, and it would not be actively used for movement you do with drag, and i explained this literally in my previous post

Originally Posted by Karbn View Post
Trust me Mack, I've noticed that too. Snake seems to like to choose his arguments instead of voicing the whole thing.

you ask something specific - we talk specific, the whole idea was posted on the first page already, or do you expect me to come up with a whole game design document?... it's supposed to be a discussion, no?
people talk, think about different aspects, figure stuff out

I've said this before, but I like the current joint system as it is. I think a mix between click and drag and ball clicking would be ideal.

nope, thats a clutter, a control interface should be unified and streamlined, even from a design standpoint, so eather one or another, and since we are going to get Noribash Text as a new game, i think we should drop the whole legacy concerns out of the window and hope for an innovative easy to pick up controls, so more people will be able to play it and enjoy it, as this is the main gripe new players have with the game, since it's 2018 and now 2006, so everybody expect IK controls

and this is evident on the example of Bowblend, he is a new player and these were exact his concerns, and this is just the one new player who really liked the game and wanted to help to make it better to the point of bothering to go on forums and make a thread about it, while dozens or even hundreds of players just drop the game, without bothering themselves.

and well, i have to admit i was thinking about it for quite awhile too, may be a couple of years, and how new am i to the game? ;p

vanilla toribash is going to stay anyway, and it's not going to be shut down, that was stated even in Noribash Text announcement thread, so obviously, there going to be both games avaiable, so whats the point in making new game exactly the same without fixing it's main flaw of horrid outdated controls?...

One thing that I think would be cool that doesn't directly apply to controls would be the implementation of bending joints. You can extend your arm and contract it, but your arm has the potential to bend to the left or right a slight bit, like in irl. This would have to be an unintentional thing, like you're in an armbar and your opponent bends your arm backward more than it's supposed to go. It could bend a little but backward, and then fracture, if that makes sense.

that might be a side effect, or i should say a likely side effect of IK control

just have to have strength of bodyparts to be set atleast in a resemblance of anatomically correct
Last edited by snake; Jan 8, 2018 at 12:57 AM.
tell me about aikido
"so whats the point in making new game exactly the same without fixing it's main flaw of horrid outdated controls?..."

You really don't know what you are talking about. Make replays for 8 years and come back saying that again. Because you seem to not have an understanding to why people play Mp sparring or realism bla bla. Because it's simple and easy to do stuff if you master it. Mastering it is the hard fucking part, that should be hard to learn. If you wanna make Toribash 1 hour then get bored of it edition. Feel free, i'm not touching that in any way, shape or form. Because that isn't what Toribash is for me, and most of my replaymaking friends.

"while dozens or even hundreds of players just drop the game, without bothering themselves."

This is just stupid imo, ofc it's fucking hard. How many people drop out of playing Dark souls because it's ridiculously hard for a newcomer to the series?

Toribash is meant to be ridiculously hard to get even decent at, if it's Mp mods like aikido for competetive play and etc mods. Or realism replaymaking, or just fucking about in generall. So again, if Tb Next were to honestly even be slightly of what the in my opinion, ridiculous suggestions for change were to be put into the game as a main part of it just for a change, then i'm not touching it.

I know you've been around for a little longer than i have, and been among the forums aswell for more. But you don't have the grasp at the slightest of what the realism part of Tb's replaymaking is about.

Also again, endorphin. Get it already.
Jun 2, 2023 - .best. day. ever.