Toribash
OMG thats a BIG diffrens, so its better to save the picture in 512x512?
You'll never be half the man your mother is!
If you save it in 512x then once you upload it to the Toribash's server there will be quality loss.

However 512x gives much more space to work in. Making it better for handmade work, or at the very least easier to use.

Go with 128x if you don't want to have to worry about quality loss.

(>^_^)>
However, if you hand shade in 512, it could be a daunting task. While 128x128 makes your shading imprecise. *pushes guy towards 256 >_>*

this is more to warn buyers against misleading previews, since we will always go "oooh so sharp" at least subconciously, giving 512 and even 256 and unfair advantage. Then they get disappointed when it's uploaded and looks just as bad as 128x128 and maybe thy start to whine about it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
darkjak what do u use.....128x128 256x256 or 512x512

also i see alot of guys using 512x512 and their textures have alot of detail in 128x128
Weather you draw it in 512, 256 or 128 doesn't really matter THAT much, it's the preview quality we are talking about, since the game can't handle anything above 128 (well, the servers wont accept it, it could probably take it no problem) using anything above that in your previews is lying to the customer.

As for detail, I can't comment on weather 512 scaled down to 128 or 128 has more detail in any objective way, because mathematically they hold the same amount of information, however compressing an image down like that distorts the over all image, you get bad lines etc, some textures look fine and the process ends here, I've no idea what darkjak works in, but generally if you work in 512 or 256 or anything else (I've done a texture in 1024 before xD) once scaled to 128 you should refurbish the texture and finish off the smaller, finer details, to get a sharp result.

Or just work in 128 to begin with.

Just because I have nothing better to do, here are a few preview images of something I did the other day, with lower, and lower resolution textures:
(WARNING, THE MAPPING IN THE FOLLOWING IMAGES SUCKS, DEAL WITH IT.)

Original texture source: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...t_and_dirt.jpg
Note: I do not have copyright permission to use this, I'd cite the whole fair use education clause for this one :3

[Images]
Full resolution
Half resolution
Quarter resolution
Eighth resolution

And all stacked on top of each other:

I don't think the images need much explanation, they are fairly clear to the eye, the bottom gear has the lowest resolution texture, and even that is bigger than toribash's texture resolution, the top gear has the size I'd normally use for a texture in 3D.

Again, sorry about the bad mapping, [/lazy]
Last edited by Vox; Jan 5, 2010 at 03:31 PM.
For the record, I use 256. That is just personal preference, since I find that I cannot work cleanly enough for 128; my lines are blurry. By using a larger resolution, I have room for error. However, I have to remember to keep details large enough to remain present once shrunk. So a good rule is that if if doesn't fit in a 4 pixel square, it would probably be partially lost. If you can draw it sharply in 128x128, then more power to you!

Also, I love your example voxus!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

Incognito - [o]
Thanks, the images are labelled as to their resolution in the url, so just click to see the texture resolution for each one.

Still funny that the lowest res one (238x188) is bigger than toribash' texture resolution xD
Last edited by Vox; Jan 6, 2010 at 04:44 PM.
On a different note, check out this a sweet new release from hampa: High Res. Textures!

Head Textures are now available at 256x and 512x, for 20,000 and 50,000tc respectively.

We'll be able to archive a whole new world of crisp detail now! And for very nice prices too.

(>^_^)>
Yes, this thread is now obsolete XD

(somewhat)

It will be a good reference to let people know about the differences between them though.

Also, 512 shoulda been more expensive, since you are getting 4x the pixels
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

Incognito - [o]
Aye, I'm leaving this up so people can continue to see the difference.

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
DONSELUKE, MASTER OF LAWSUIT
if you love america please sign this petition
B&B&B&