Toribash
Originally Posted by Valterain1 View Post
This seems to be a rather popular topic amongst the teenagers who don't really know anything, but I'm sure there are some points that may be correct. There's a very common idea that a school is very much similar to a prison, systematically. A few points were brought up by my Aunt over a somewhat bias facebook post (She's homeschooling her children, and hates the public school system). She brought up a few similarities between the system that public schools and prisons have. These may or may not be valid, that's why they are up for debate.
1. They both have an authoritarian structure
2. They both have strict dress codes
3. They both have "Negative" reinforcement
4. "Walking in lines" honestly this one is pretty fucking stupid
5. Abridged freedoms
6. No input for decision making
7. Set times enforced for eating, walking, etc.
Here's a few articles I briefly skimmed through that bring up some points.

Edsweek

Evancarmicheal

Debate.

I'll respond to each point.

1. So do the work place, and just modern civilization. And its not as strict as the word makes it out to be. The authorities in school are there to uphold the rules, much like the police (in a sense). Do you know of a better alternative?

2. Some schools have uniforms, but other than that I don't really see what you mean by strict. The dress codes in most schools I've seen have been related to sexual presentation or vulgar presentation. Which is there for a good reason. Elementary students shouldn't be dressed in revealing ways, or have vulgar words plastered across every t-shirt they own. And in middle and high school, sexual clothing is bad because hormones exist, and are often highly active in middle and high school. I don't really feel like going around school seeing yoga pants camel toe.

3. They have positive reinforcement too. So I don't really understand why this matters. Also, going to detention for a hour because you punched someone is a lot better the confinement for a couple of days. Also, like in prison, you are told what not to do. And this normally results in NOT having negative reinforcement.

4. God forbid you walk in a line to prevent children from being the assholes that they are. Not to mention the fact it teaches the younger age a form of order and discipline. And it only last six years.

5. I guess I'll give you this one, though I don't totally agree with it being as bad as prison.

6. The older you get the more freedom you have. Mainly because the older you get the more responsible you are. This is another "preventing incidents" point.

7. Yes, because a completely chaotic structure would be much better. Do what ever you want kids! But wait, you mean when you go to work you have enforced times too? I will agree that when you choose a job, the times might be a bit more flexible, but they are still there.

Are the points made like a prison? Yea, they share the characteristics, but to a much much much more extreme level. But both hold up to why they work these ways. Also, think of it this way, school part teaches you how to operate in "the real world." Prison operates to punish people who failed to operate in "the real world," and reintroduce living in the real world.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This seems to be a rather popular topic amongst the teenagers who don't really know anything, but I'm sure there are some points that may be correct. There's a very common idea that a school is very much similar to a prison, systematically. A few points were brought up by my Aunt over a somewhat bias facebook post (She's homeschooling her children, and hates the public school system). She brought up a few similarities between the system that public schools and prisons have. These may or may not be valid, that's why they are up for debate.
1. They both have an authoritarian structure
2. They both have strict dress codes
3. They both have "Negative" reinforcement
4. "Walking in lines" honestly this one is pretty fucking stupid
5. Abridged freedoms
6. No input for decision making
7. Set times enforced for eating, walking, etc.
Here's a few articles I briefly skimmed through that bring up some points.

walking in lines doesnt exist in high school :v and my high school lets you do whatever the fuck you want. wanna go take classes on building computers/program go do it, wanna take sex ed? go do it. wanna take the longest fucking route to the class that happens to pass through China? do it(just dont be late to class). our dress code is khaki/navy blue pants, bright blue-any shade of blue under the sun, white, green for shirts. any jacket from Tokyo to Timbuktu the only thing they really give a shit about is if you have your id on or not so your agrument is invalid!
but yeah school is prison fuck the system
Last edited by Kirito; Aug 20, 2015 at 01:07 AM.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nomad Moderated Message:
Be more straightforward with your uplifting messages or I'll fucking skin you alive.
Originally Posted by Kirito View Post
walking in lines doesnt exist in high school :v and my high school lets you do whatever the fuck you want. wanna go take classes on building computers/program go do it, wanna take sex ed? go do it. wanna take the longest fucking route to the class that happens to pass through China? do it(just dont be late to class). our dress code is khaki/navy blue pants, bright blue-any shade of blue under the sun, white, green for shirts. any jacket from Tokyo to Timbuktu the only thing they really give a shit about is if you have your id on or not so your agrument is invalid!
but yeah school is prison fuck the system

Why is it like prison? You are entirely contradicting your point by saying that, unless it was a joke. But it was a pretty shitty joke if it is a joke.
Support your argument man.
Valterain1 was defeated by hermaphrodite on Oct 17, 2015.
Why is it like prison? You are entirely contradicting your point by saying that, unless it was a joke. But it was a pretty shitty joke if it is a joke.
Support your argument man.

a joke is a joke even if the joke is a bad joke, now do you know how to joke? Also i was proving you wrong, Most schools arent/are prisons just depends on the one you go to.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nomad Moderated Message:
Be more straightforward with your uplifting messages or I'll fucking skin you alive.
Originally Posted by Kirito View Post
a joke is a joke even if the joke is a bad joke, now do you know how to joke? Also i was proving you wrong, Most schools arent/are prisons just depends on the one you go to.

No school can even be compared realistically to prison. Sure, there are some schools that have a strict dress code, and a strict schedule. But, at least you can go home at the end of the day.
Also, this is the discussion board, not wibbles.
Valterain1 was defeated by hermaphrodite on Oct 17, 2015.
Also, this is the discussion board, not wibbles.

There are no discussion board rules against including jokes in your argument, as long as your argument is passable it is fine to joke.
Good morning sweet princess
How the others already said above, ofc the schools also have RULES because the fuck, if any of us would do we want in a school without warnings or something i see all the schools in any country or state being full of kids having sex without any problem (especially in highshools), fights every fucking where, school objects being destroyed.

About that with time for eating and shit, dude do you really think it's nice to eat in an hour? It's rude for that teacher and also that proves you weren't educated at home. That's why we have pauses between hours, to eat, take a shit, have little fun with our friends/classmates and others.

Yeah i agree that the rule with the dressing is shit, but some kids are really dressing up inapropriate for a school or an instute like a school is.
Yeah, the specific time-table is just for efficiency. You would need several times as many teachers if you only taught the kids when and what they wanted to be taught, and it would be so inefficient that nothing much would ever get done.
Good morning sweet princess
Originally Posted by Zelda View Post
Yeah, the specific time-table is just for efficiency. You would need several times as many teachers if you only taught the kids when and what they wanted to be taught, and it would be so inefficient that nothing much would ever get done.

90% or more if kids wouldnt even show up, at that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]