ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Coursework Week 2
(Yes, a coursework is a week late. Deal with it, I've been busy.)
Personal Development
Difficulty; Easy
Start - 31/03/2010

Ok, now the very easy beginnings. You've decided upon a style and written it up. Now prove to me that you understand what you are doing! Any quality will be accepted in this coursework but what I really want to see from you is your words as art.

Objective: Make a head texture from scratch, and upload the WIP of each step along the way (as a flat texture! Don't forget to watermark it). There should be a minimum of 5 WIP flats.

I'll give you some basics to get you all started.
Colours: Blue/Green (either at any shade)
Style: Your own
Due: 2 weeks - 13/04/2010

Put as much effort as you can into this!

LAST FREE COURSEWORK.
"Anything running perfectly is running like clockwork."
WIP 1:

Note that this is twice the total head, it's a 512x512 head and the reason it's 1024 wide is that I use the centre of the image to map the back of the head properly, thus 256 pixels across is the front.
I'll just explain the steps as we go

First, from other image i pasted something i though would look nice as a face/eyes

Then, i resized the piece i pasted earlier and mirrored it. Then i painted the forehead piece all by hand.

Then i pasted another piece from the same image. And tried to make the parts blend together

I edited the eye a bit. Added a plate to the top. (ofcourse used the "polar coordinates" filter) then added something between the top and the middle parts. This is done by pasting one part of the image, duplicating it and moving them around. after they are in a place you like use the "healing brush" to blend the edges that look odd.

Finished the head by adding something to the bottom. and making the back pretty much seamless.

also, the reference i used: http://i40.tinypic.com/1zc1jbs.jpg
Last edited by aerox21; Apr 1, 2010 at 02:03 PM.
Want to join GATA?Apply here
Free textures

Erm, next WIP I'll probably center it, see how it looks ingame, then spherize till perfection. :p

I did all of this using the lasso/brush tool. I started with an idea, and then came an eyebrow and an eye. My first WIP was just the eyebrow.

Note: if anyone has any input on this, feel free. :D
Last edited by Stonewall; Apr 1, 2010 at 07:35 PM.
Doing a kirby head. Not much as of right now but we will see.

...And yes I do know it is missing a mouth, stonewall.
[spirit]
Was just done with this crap , and forgot to save the flat afterwards..

Edit:
Last edited by iNoTo; Apr 2, 2010 at 06:03 AM.
| GATA | Guild Wars 2 | Anime United |
Here's my WIP, I'm working along the line of making a Cyborg head.

[Ele] Leader | [Bleu] Supervisor | Artists' Co-op
sup, hope I'm not barging in or anything. ;(

Hopefully you won't shoot me for not using any blue.

and for good measure, an ingame shot.

I'm not exactly an advanced artist by any means, so uh, hope you can help us newbies with no sense of design. ;D
<~suomynona> TITS OR ELEELETH

1.My creation starting to take place, started with the eye.

2.Started to slowly add more detail to the eye.

3.Added a horn and some cheek shading.

4.Added colour to my image, and revamped my shaded areas.

5. The construction of the pupil and the mouth has taken place, along with the mirroring of the texture.

6. And a attempt to glossy up my texture, which didn't turn out as I'd hoped for.

All in all, this is my best work up to date.
You have to scale the iris down horizontally by 50% it wont be round on your tori if you dont.