Toribash
Original Post
Brain cells , how to improve them.
if you got any way to increase our and your brain cells , share it with us
and help the community Get smarter (Less stupider)

We aren't quite there yet, but lots of new research into neurogenesis is ongoing. Check this out.

http://www.sfn.org/index.cfm?pagename=br…

We've been taught for generations that the adult brain doesn't create new brain cells. The cells you have at birth are about all you'll ever have, and a neuron lost is lost forever. Now, medical science has learned a different lesson.
Research over the last decade has produced growing evidence that the adult human brain creates new neurons, a process known as neurogenesis. Recent findings show that many of these new neurons survive and integrate themselves into the working brain, suggesting the potential for a self-healing brain. If researchers can harness and enhance neurogenesis, it could lead to improved treatments for many disorders, diseases, or damage -- from Alzheimer's and epilepsy to stroke and traumatic brain injury -- and it can help keep our minds and memories sharp.

Recent animal studies have shown a correlation between learning and new neurons surviving in the hippocampus. After teaching rodents a variety of tasks that engaged a range of brain areas, scientists found that, generally, the more the animal learned, the more neurons survived in the hippocampus. Cells that were born before the learning experience were more likely to survive to become neurons, but only if the animals actually learned. The increase in survival occurred with tasks that depended on the hippocampus as well as those that required significant effort to learn.

Source(s):
A couple more links:

http://neurogenesis.iord.org/

http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Adul…
Last edited by oofun4; Nov 3, 2012 at 03:12 PM.
Poop poop poop shit shit piss pussy pear-shaped person peice of shit
Um, you can never regain brain cells, they are the only cell in the human body that doesn't reproduce. Stop smoking dope, stop doing drugs and you won't have to worry about being slow.
X|Twitter: @YRBWrld |-| FB: @YRBWrldFP
Discord: Discord Me
Humans have 100 billion neurons when they are born,this is plenty of neurons to last you for decades,and nobody in the world uses more than 5% of their brain cells,so you don't have to regain new cells.
Bye bye toribash
But, you can kill them brain cells fast as hell if you do to much drugs...
I know a person who done drugs since he was 16, was one smart ass man and had a good IQ. Now he is 43 and is mentally retarded.
X|Twitter: @YRBWrld |-| FB: @YRBWrldFP
Discord: Discord Me
Sorry I guess I wrote the title in a wrong. Way
I know a person who has been doing many kinds of drugs since 13 and and now they are 52 and are socially and politically aware. I don't think it's the drugs that do that to you it's the person that the drugs heavily effect.

Example. I drink one beer, I can go for another 2 before I get buzzed another drinks one beer and get completely messed up. It's the person, not the drug.

Don't let one experience for another person ruin your views on "drugs".
Originally Posted by T0ribush View Post
I know a person who has been doing many kinds of drugs since 13 and and now they are 52 and are socially and politically aware. I don't think it's the drugs that do that to you it's the person that the drugs heavily effect.

Example. I drink one beer, I can go for another 2 before I get buzzed another drinks one beer and get completely messed up. It's the person, not the drug.

Why do you think drugs are illegal huh? Because that's what it do , it destroy not only brain cells ,but it destroys different cells around the body
It can even kill you..
Destroying brain cells at the moment of happening,so you can't remember what you did cause it destroys the brain cells of what you did at then.
Bye bye toribash
Scientists have found that music makes you smarter, particularly playing an instrument as it works your brain and exercises it, so you become much "smarter" in an academic perspective as you'll learn faster and remember better.

There's also something called the Mozart effect (no I'm not bullshitting you) that makes you smarter just by listening to Mozart, go search it up. (I'm not to sure about this one, but I thought I'd share it with you guys)

Also just for a first hand source, my music teacher told me when he was growing up he couldn't concentrate on one thing school wise and almost flunked many of his subjects. But then he started picking up on music and started playing a variety of instruments which strongly helped him in his academics, and even outside of school.
\o\ | ORMO | OSHI | OLDA | [duck] | Team Canada | Maple Syrup United | Team Philippines | [UssR] | Anime United | /o/
Originally Posted by oofun4 View Post
if you got any way to increase our and your brain cells , share it with us
and help the community Get smarter (Less stupider)

We aren't quite there yet, but lots of new research into neurogenesis is ongoing. Check this out.

http://www.sfn.org/index.cfm?pagename=br…

We've been taught for generations that the adult brain doesn't create new brain cells. The cells you have at birth are about all you'll ever have, and a neuron lost is lost forever. Now, medical science has learned a different lesson.
Research over the last decade has produced growing evidence that the adult human brain creates new neurons, a process known as neurogenesis. Recent findings show that many of these new neurons survive and integrate themselves into the working brain, suggesting the potential for a self-healing brain. If researchers can harness and enhance neurogenesis, it could lead to improved treatments for many disorders, diseases, or damage -- from Alzheimer's and epilepsy to stroke and traumatic brain injury -- and it can help keep our minds and memories sharp.

Recent animal studies have shown a correlation between learning and new neurons surviving in the hippocampus. After teaching rodents a variety of tasks that engaged a range of brain areas, scientists found that, generally, the more the animal learned, the more neurons survived in the hippocampus. Cells that were born before the learning experience were more likely to survive to become neurons, but only if the animals actually learned. The increase in survival occurred with tasks that depended on the hippocampus as well as those that required significant effort to learn.

Source(s):
A couple more links:

http://neurogenesis.iord.org/

http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Adul…

None of your citations are valid links. Please try again.
EDIT: Also, if you're going to straight-up copy/paste from other websites, it'd be really nice if you'd source said websites.
EDIT2: Yahoo Answers? Really?

Originally Posted by DeakManiac View Post
Um, you can never regain brain cells, they are the only cell in the human body that doesn't reproduce. Stop smoking dope, stop doing drugs and you won't have to worry about being slow.

Technically speaking, red blood cells don't "reproduce" on an individual basis. And neurogenesis does occur in adults.

Originally Posted by 4kid View Post
Humans have 100 billion neurons when they are born,this is plenty of neurons to last you for decades,and nobody in the world uses more than 5% of their brain cells,so you don't have to regain new cells.

Oh for fuck's sake please don't bring up that myth.

Originally Posted by T0ribush View Post

A single personal example does not a valid argument make.

Originally Posted by oofun4 View Post
Why do you think drugs are illegal huh? Because that's what it do , it destroy not only brain cells ,but it destroys different cells around the body
It can even kill you..

There's lots of other reasons they're illegal, too.

Originally Posted by 4kid View Post
Destroying brain cells at the moment of happening,so you can't remember what you did cause it destroys the brain cells of what you did at then.

... That's not even close to how memory works.

Originally Posted by MrJingles1 View Post
Scientists have found that music makes you smarter, particularly playing an instrument as it works your brain and exercises it, so you become much "smarter" in an academic perspective as you'll learn faster and remember better.

There's also something called the Mozart effect (no I'm not bullshitting you) that makes you smarter just by listening to Mozart, go search it up. (I'm not to sure about this one, but I thought I'd share it with you guys)

Also just for a first hand source, my music teacher told me when he was growing up he couldn't concentrate on one thing school wise and almost flunked many of his subjects. But then he started picking up on music and started playing a variety of instruments which strongly helped him in his academics, and even outside of school.

I'm approximately 90% sure that it's not just Mozart - virtually any kind of music will (TEMPORARILY) improve aptitude.
That "temporarily" thing is important too. I haven't heard of any studies where sitting around, passively listening to music will permanently improve your intelligence.

In summary:
[21:54:35] <jalis> this thread
[21:54:41] <jalis> is [citation needed]: the thread
Last edited by hanz0; Nov 4, 2012 at 05:25 AM.

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
DONSELUKE, MASTER OF LAWSUIT
if you love america please sign this petition
B&B&B&