ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
1024x1024 Heads
Ive recently been talking to a few artists who think that 1024 textures would be a good idea, i also believe this. The additional amount of detail that you could put into something that size would be amazing, already amazing artists would be able to be able to create amazing fully detailed heads. The 1024 textures would be expensive yes, however they would give vast improvement and idea's to textures, due to this sets that would be turned out would be have much more detail, making textures true ability to bee seen without the actual texture quality being tarnished.

Note :: Im not entirely sure that this has been suggested before forgive me if it has been.
Originally Posted by Ferras View Post
I don't see why people are using arguments like "it'll be too detailed", "i think 512 is detailed enough", and "it'll be expensive".

How can the texture be too detailed for your liking?

And about the price going down on other items, would it really be that big of a deal if it did?

And lastly, saying it's too expensive is just dumb. Demon force costs what, 240k in shop or something like that, but we still have it. Same with void and lots of other items. If it's too expensive you you, then just don't buy it. Don't take the opportunity away from others.

But there is still the loading time and lag... My pc is such an old piece of shit that it lags without any textures. I don't believe we say it's too detailed for the mere reason that we don't like it.

Originally Posted by eality View Post
As for the load problems, developing a method of downscaling options to a choice of 128, 256 etc for the client would be a nice way to remedy the problem. This way it is only client side and server loads/bandwidth will not increase. The buyer reaps his benefits of high detail. The people with bricks for computers don't suffer. 10/10?

I don't really get why you should do this just for a new texture size. Seems pretty stupid to me.
Last edited by Mack; Dec 21, 2014 at 10:53 AM.
|Opener by Xioi|#KillTheScootCork|
|Replays|
"Cool delfin med solglajjor" -Larfen
I don't see why people are using arguments like "i think 512 is detailed enough".

There's a law in information technology about this (Can't really remember the exact name or definition, it's kinda like the law of diminishing returns in economics). Take an analog input (in our case, let's say it's a painting/drawing of a Toribash head texture) and you are digitalizing it. You choose a resolution to digitalize at. Doubling that resolution over and over makes less of a "difference" with each instance of doubling the previous value, while using 2^n times the resources with each instance (n being the number of dimensions, in our case, 2). You can keep doubling that resolution until infinity, but you'll never reach an exact representation of that analog signal in digital form (unless you somehow manage to do it an infinite times).
For example:*
128->256 (Holy shit, it's awesome)
256->512(Pretty good)
512->1024(Neat)
1024->2048(Can't see the difference)

*All values are squared.

While you'd probably see some improvement with 1024 textures over 512 ones, the resources needed to handle it would be too great compared to the possible benefit.
I also wouldn't like the ensuing clutter in my custom folder caused by every pleb being able to afford 256 and 512 textures because of the economical hit caused by the new resolution.

Do you see now?
Last edited by ynvaser; Dec 21, 2014 at 12:10 PM.
I don't see why people are using arguments like "it'll be too detailed", "i think 512 is detailed enough", and "it'll be expensive".

And about the price going down on other items, would it really be that big of a deal if it did?

And lastly, saying it's too expensive is just dumb. Demon force costs what, 240k in shop or something like that, but we still have it. Same with void and lots of other items. If it's too expensive you you, then just don't buy it. Don't take the opportunity away from others.

Like ynvaser said, it'd be unwanted server load to be extremely HD, when there'll be a cheaper, more efficient texture half price.
I've got a semi-slow computer, and I can't run the game at over 30FPS with shaders.
So arguing for people to be able to show off their 100k 1024x1024 leg texture, without thinking of the amounts of crashes, and shit like that, I find dumb.
ynvaser, you're blowing the "market impact" thing out of proportion, while there might be a small increase of users having textures, it's not going to prove much of a problem.

The "too detailed" argument really means nothing, if your computer cant run textures, turn textures off, and if you can run 512 but don't think it will be able to handle 1028, it being so expensive would make it so not many users would have them.
Why is this even an idea, you can put a 1028 texture onto a 512 item easily cause it auto resizes your picture and 17.5k for each 512 item is hard enough for most members as is so I doubt most people would even be able to afford a single 1028x1028 item.
Not supported even the slightest
ancient Moderated Message:
you've had the previous signature since 2019, i wonder how long it'll take you to notice this
Before making higher resolution textures, we need texture compression 4MB per texture is a lot, and the custom folder gets more bloat every time
I am sorry, but I do not want my "customs" folder spammed with 128, 516, and 1024 textures...

Think of it this way:
If hampa decided to add another "Layer" if quality, orange belts would have 516x516 SETS.
If low belts have those types of textures, then our Customs folders would get spammed with high quality pictures.
If that were to happen, we would be losing MEGABYTES of our memory just by joining a server.

Sorry bro, but I have to conclude this with....
Unsupported
Last edited by Kris; Dec 25, 2014 at 01:31 AM.