Toribash
Original Post
A complete Journey.
Welcome everyone to the start of my personal journey into art.

With absolutely no art background or experience I hope to archive here a thread that hopefully, will show a journey from complete beginner to near professional.

Everyday, I will post a picture of some sorts that I did using the recently acquired Photoshop.

I am in need to learn everything, from shapes and lighting to simple photo manipulation.

First Image

So first image is literally just messing around with brush and getting my mouse comfortable doing art stuff. I didn't really have anything in mind to draw just was moving stuff around.

Any people that took graphic design/art classes what were some beginner tasks they had you do to learn the very basics. I will do them here to the best of my ability.
I'm no judge of abstract art but what I will absolutely suggest is you study further into software use, Photoshop is predatory and even though it is the industry standard I am a proponent of exploring your artistic endavors in more than one platform, look into the Affinity suit, specifically Affinity Photo if you're meaning to replace photoshop, there are MANY reasons for this and now that you're starting I really recommend looking into it so you learn under one single umbrella on a software that is much more open, less greedy, and way cheaper to maintain

As per learning a program, I usually delve into it blindly and start playing around just like you did, I feel like this makes you learn to speak the language of the program, to put it in a way, instead of sticking strictly to tutorials and following guides that may fill some holes for your curiosity, but they may not fulfill your specific needs for art, maybe you're great at vector, maybe you're great at crosshatch portraits, and the tutorial you're looking into is vfx, so my recommendation on how to learn it is just like you're doing, it may take longer to see results but it'll be a much more seamless experience in your mind once you're solving the problems that comes with trying to materialize what you can see in your mind.

Another recommendation I'd love you look into is applying AI into your art, this is so your aspirations of being -as you said- near professional, get a bigger possibility of happening, I support the notion of ending the elitism regarding AI, it is there, and it will be there, it is better to integrate it into your workflow rather than shun it and end up obsolete.

Apart from that, best of luck, don't burn yourself out trying to upload something every day, it will make you need to impress others with your progress, take it slowly, I'd recommend worrying about uploading once a week and the rest just enjoying the journey and experimenting.

Again, good luck!
Originally Posted by Alejandro View Post
I'm no judge of abstract art but what I will absolutely suggest is you study further into software use, Photoshop is predatory and even though it is the industry standard I am a proponent of exploring your artistic endavors in more than one platform, look into the Affinity suit, specifically Affinity Photo if you're meaning to replace photoshop, there are MANY reasons for this and now that you're starting I really recommend looking into it so you learn under one single umbrella on a software that is much more open, less greedy, and way cheaper to maintain

As per learning a program, I usually delve into it blindly and start playing around just like you did, I feel like this makes you learn to speak the language of the program, to put it in a way, instead of sticking strictly to tutorials and following guides that may fill some holes for your curiosity, but they may not fulfill your specific needs for art, maybe you're great at vector, maybe you're great at crosshatch portraits, and the tutorial you're looking into is vfx, so my recommendation on how to learn it is just like you're doing, it may take longer to see results but it'll be a much more seamless experience in your mind once you're solving the problems that comes with trying to materialize what you can see in your mind.

Another recommendation I'd love you look into is applying AI into your art, this is so your aspirations of being -as you said- near professional, get a bigger possibility of happening, I support the notion of ending the elitism regarding AI, it is there, and it will be there, it is better to integrate it into your workflow rather than shun it and end up obsolete.

Apart from that, best of luck, don't burn yourself out trying to upload something every day, it will make you need to impress others with your progress, take it slowly, I'd recommend worrying about uploading once a week and the rest just enjoying the journey and experimenting.

Again, good luck!

\

The point of posting everyday is only to get used to the program, when I get better projects will take more time also with more things to work on things may take more time. The daily posts are just to get familiar with drawing things and just all around getting comfortable with it.

I also have just payed for PS, so for the time being it will be what I am getting used too and the more I dive into art the more I will gather the understanding on what makes me more comfortable.

Also, what is abstract art, and how do you know that is what I created. I really just used colors and the mixer tool this time. Just running brush strokes etc.
Abstract art is art that is not trying to resemble anything specific, so what you made here generally looks like abstract art.
the wikipedia definition "art that does not attempt to represent an accurate depiction of a visual reality but instead use shapes, colours, forms and gestural marks to achieve its effect."

You should probably determine what your end goal is, what kind of art/photomanipulation is the end goal of what you are trying to achieve, what do you want to be good at creating, and move towards that goal, rather than learn random things mindlessly.
Love it, having a layer beneath whatever you're working on with your sketch set on a lower opacity is a tip I wish someone would've given me when I started with Digital art, helps a lot
Can't wait to see what else you put out
"the south will rise again" -millie