Ranking
Original Post
Lake Vostok
It sometimes seems as if our planet has no secrets left, but deep beneath the great Antarctic ice sheet scientists have made an astonishing discovery. They've found one of the largest lakes in the world. It's very existence defies belief. Scientists are desperate to get into the lake because its extreme environment may be home to unique flora and fauna, never seen before, and NASA are excited by what it could teach us about extraterrestrial life. But 4 kilometers of ice stand between the lake and the surface, and breaking this seal without contaminating the most pristine body of water on the planet is possibly one of the greatest challenges science faces in the 21st century.

http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvi...f_Lake_Vostok/

What you think of this magnificent discovery? Do you think life exist deep beneath of those ice sheet?

Lets discuss.

Personally I think life does exist deep beneath of those ice sheet, because they have found life in other places that didn't even needed the sun to actually stay alive.

Besides that discovering the Lake Vostok is another mystery that humanity might not have known before due of the ice sheet blocking the path to the lake.
| GATA | Guild Wars 2 | Anime United |
I think that they would find new fish or the cure for cancer jk

Why don't we send in a little probe camera to see if any sustained life is in that lake.
If I'm right after watching the video they did send the probe camera or it's still in development. NASA is facing the greatest challenge in history there.
| GATA | Guild Wars 2 | Anime United |
I have a feeling that they might find life, but its probably more likely to be a special bacteria(archybacteria, probably). Anyways, who knows, this could prove the theory that the moon was a chunk of rock that was knocked off the side of the earth's surface. Anyways, it is interesting that something so large was kept undiscovered until now.
DAMN.
this is pretty old news. Lake Vostok was discovered in 1977 :/

If there was anything to be discovered, it has been.
Thanks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Vostok

They didn't drill in to the lake :3

In early 2010 the head of the Russian Antarctic Expedition, Valery Lukin, announced that a team of Russian scientists had only 100 meters of ice left to drill in order to reach the water. According to Lukin, new equipment had been developed by researchers at the St. Petersburg Nuclear Physics Institute that would ensure the lake remains uncontaminated upon intrusion. The scientists expected to reach the lake in 2010-2011.[11] For the 2011-12 expedition, they have planned to reach the lake, after drilling the 100-120m remaining ice, with a speed limit of 4 meters per day.[12]

Also this
Due to the lake's similarity to the Jupiter moon Europa and Saturn's moon Enceladus, any confirmation of life living in Lake Vostok would strengthen the prospect for the possible presence of life on Europa or Enceladus.[8]

When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
Well that throws a hole in my research :o
I am suddenly a lot more interested in this, lol.
Thanks.
Lololol, why does this sound like a huge copy of the "lost city", Oh wait...It is.

So basicly, we have ourselves a big extraterrestrial forest under a big sheet of ice, well that's a new way of hiding from missiles.
Could be interesting. I for one am glad that we're discovering things and that things are happening. It's easy to get caught up in the shit and forget that the world can actually be exciting at times.

In relation to what we might find down there, fish at best. I'm expecting bacteria and or some other forms of microscopic life, but other than that I can't see much. But hey, what's to say we don't find raptu- something more interesting?
collect snots from the nose
I'd think there may be a new breed of seaweed or bacteria down there at best.
Maybe some ancient artefact from an ancient civilization if we're lucky.